P.I. Hotels: add-on nights lose you your previous internet rate?

questsea73

I have been looking at hotel rates quoted for Manila/Cebu/Davao since I will touch down on all those cities in May and I am wondering....

The number of days I will stay in Manila and Cebu is unknown...won't know until I get on the ground and find out a few things; also in Davao I won't know how long in hotel while looking for apt/house.

The sites typically list probably ficticous "list prices" such as $49 a night with the rate applied if you book right then on internet of perhaps $23.

Let's say I book 4 nights in Cebu at that "special" rate.  On the third night I see I want to stay 8 nights instead and notify hotel staff:  am I going to be able to continue the internet rate for nights 5 through 8 or will the hotel likely try to sock me with their "rack rate/walkin off street at 1:00 am rate?

Is there an observed general policy of what most hotels there do in this case?

If they increase the charge-- my temptation would be to adjourn to the wifi area and book the extra nights on agoda or one of the other such services, perhaps at another hotel.

Ken

In my experiences you can usually get them to extend at the same rate, but talk to them before the last minute so they know you have other options if they choose to be greedy.

Wombat No More

Don't worry too much about it all mate... There are plenty of other places here and for around $20 to $30.

A_Simple_Man

I have not had any success in getting hotels to continue the rate I got on line from sites like Agoda.  They tell me if I want that rate I have to get it from Agoda.  But the 'promo' rates they can offer at the front desk are almost as good most times (and sometimes actually better).  Last month I tried at the desk of the Quest hotel and they told me I had to book the additional night through Agoda and so I said ok.  I went on line and found out I could no longer get the rate I had booked in advance so I went back to the front desk and paid their 'promo' rate.  Here are the numbers for that one:  Advance booking through Agoda cost me (Canadian) $65 a night.  Front desk promo was 3400 pesos (Canadian $86) .  Going back to Agoda to try to get their cheap rate was going to cost me (Canadian) $85 a night.  The front desk promo included breakfast buffet.

I have not had any success in getting hotels to continue the rate I got on line from sites like Agoda

When I was here about 3 years ago I had booked 1 day at the Hilton (last day in town before my flight out) and the rest we spent in Bohol, Bantayan and Camotes, but I decided to stay a little longer and talked to the Hilton front desk and they were more then happy to give me the same rate I paid on Agoda.

I guess it just depends on the hotel, or maybe how full it is.  Considering they have to pay a fee to Agoda you'd think they'd be happy to match the offer in person, unless they no longer offer that rate at all.

Edited by Dolsos
A_Simple_Man

When I was here about 3 years ago

I guess it just depends on the hotel, or maybe how full it is.

I suppose so.  My experience in the last 6 months is limited to asking for extensions of stay at Tune Hotel, Quest Hotel and Pier Cuatro Hotel, all in Cebu, all booked through Agoda and neither of them would give me the Agoda rate at the desk (when asked to extend for one or more nights).  In each case they told me I had to book though Agoda.  Maybe things have changed.

As Wombat mentioned, its not a big deal.  I just through my rags in a bag and head off down the street to places I know that give me better rates anyway.  Its convenient to have a reservation through Agoda on arrival but after that just shop around.

smokey

In my experiences you can usually get them to extend at the same rate, but talk to them before the last minute so they know you have other options if they choose to be greedy.

dont always work as they could have the room booked already this happened to me at the bayview in manila and cherry blossom a few times... You said 4 days you now want 8 if they are room not booked no problem but if its a bad time of the year or they already booked you find yourself looking 

miles-high

I guess it just depends on the hotel, or maybe how full it is.

It depends on the occupancy rate (if the hotel uses a fully centralized CRS)… even then, your “smile” goes a long way (therefore I choose a female front desk clerk to discuss the extension hehe ;))… But do not expect much during the really busy period like the Sinulog time…

:)