13 A Conversion to Non-Quota Immigrant by Marriage - Quick Help

JohnSurrey

I'm in Manila trying to get my 13A Form submitted...

On the Checklist you have to submit it asks for certain things like:

1. Letter request from the petitioner with a statement that all documents submitted were legally obtained from the corresponding government agencies

7. Joint Affidavit of applicant and petitioner attesting to the authenticity and genuineness of all documents sbmitted in support of the application.

Can anyone give me some examples of these to crib from ?

And also...

8. Proof of Financial of financial capacity of applicant and/or petitioner (in my case wife) during their permanent residence in the Phillipines...

I was told a deposit of at least 100,000 pesos in a Phil Bank would be ok - I'm trying to do this very quickly (like tomorrow) could I just transfer the cash as an advance from my VISA card ?

I don't currently have a Phil Bank account... etc

Lastly, has anyone used a lawyer (here in Manila) not too expensive to do this for them - I'm only here for a couple of days...?

Thanks...

PS. My Balikbayan visa (see old post) was ok ... didn't cost me a penny to update my passport, but had to come to Manila to sort it out...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• Monsoon

• CebuKano

• Thelandofku-an

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found this somewhere else....     "Sample spouse letter for 13 (a) Resident Visa – Philippines immigration." 18 October 2012 RICARDO A DAVID JR Commissioner Bureau of Immigration Intramuros, Ma

From what I have heard you need the Quarantine thing done only if your applying from abroad, so shouldn't apply here, didn't for me.   Yes, the above template is what I used also and was fine. Reme

Well...starting the beginning of this year, any foreign bank wishing to be tied to other banks internationally must report any US citizens with more than $10,000 US (or the local currency equivalent) 

Thelandofku-an

Usually there are plenty of attorneys typing up B*******t documents to describe in execrable English how your docs are bona-fide.

Expect to pay 300-500 Php each letter cos it requires documentary seal!

Would it be easier to apply in your home country, the Philippine Embassy there used to attest and seal the documents which you then hand carry to BI here in Phils for finishing off (you said you are only here a few days)?

I imagine you'll get whacked by charges for transferring to Philippine bank, why the rush?

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
JohnSurrey

I found this somewhere else....

"Sample spouse letter for 13 (a) Resident Visa – Philippines immigration."

18 October 2012
RICARDO A DAVID JR
Commissioner
Bureau of Immigration
Intramuros, Manila

Sir:

May I respectfully request a non-quota immigrant visa under Section 13, paragraph A of the Philippine Immigration
Act as amended, in favour of my foreign spouse, ________________ , a _______________________________national. I am ____________________________________, a Philippine citizen. We were married in _______________ on _______________
I am enclosing here copy of the following documents to prove my above-cited information:

1. My NSO-issued Birth Certificate
2. Our NSO-issued Marriage Contract / Philippine Consulate-authenticated copy of our Marriage Contract /
Marriage Certificate / Family Register
3. Photocopy of the pertinent pages of his passport:
a) bio-page
b) page/s showing:
1. his immigration admission and its extension/s and
2. Bureau of Quarantine Clearance

Very truly yours,

• Like 2
SkyMan

I was told a deposit of at least 100,000 pesos in a Phil Bank would be ok - I'm trying to do this very quickly (like tomorrow) could I just transfer the cash as an advance from my VISA card ?

Do you have some copies of pension payments or whatever income you get?  I wouldn't put p100K in a Phil bank and doing so could give you a lot of grief with HomeLand Security and the IRS if you're American depending on what other financial interests you have here.

Would it be easier to apply in your home country, the Philippine Embassy there used to attest and seal the documents which you then hand carry to BI here in Phils for finishing off (you said you are only here a few days)?

I think he's going back to Leyte?  If so, why don't you do the 13A in Cebu?  Or Tacloban?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
SkyMan

Yeah, that looks like about what I did but don't remember any Quarantine Clearance.  I don't remember any financial stuff either but maybe I brought in a US bank statement or something.
RogerDuMond

Proof of financial capacity does not have to be Philippine currency or even be in the Philippines.

Never heard of Bureau of Quarantine, but there is a Bureau of Immigration Clearance Certificate needed.

Edited by RogerDuMond
Thelandofku-an

Bureau of quarantine used to be in Intramuros, they either look at the medical records you provide or give you a medical exam and then you get quarantine clearance paper!

I recall my stool exam in the UK took two weeks for them to grow cultures proving or disproving STD's.

If that's the case you might find it easier to do in Cebu cos of second trip or bring the medical results from Leyte?

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
RogerDuMond

Bureau of quarantine used to be in Intramuros, they either look at the medical records you provide or give you a medical exam and then you get quarantine clearance paper!

I recall my stool exam in the UK took two weeks for them to grow cultures proving or disproving STD's.

If that's the case you might find it easier to do in Cebu cos of second trip or bring the medical results from Leyte?

Did mine in the US and and the medical exam was required,  but mine expired because of the amount of time needed to sell the house so had to redo it here and there was NO physical required here.

• Like 1
Thelandofku-an

NO physical required here.

I now recall quarantine stamp your passport, don't remember if there's a paper so best you ask before leaving the B.I.

I was a lot younger and better looking then, can't imagine anyone wanting to give me a physical exam nowadays, I turn off the light when I undress in case I see my reflection in the mirror!

hookedtothenet

Proof of financial capacity does not have to be Philippine currency or even be in the Philippines.

Never heard of Bureau of Quarantine, but there is a Bureau of Immigration Clearance Certificate needed.

From what I have heard you need the Quarantine thing done only if your applying from abroad, so shouldn't apply here, didn't for me.

"Sample spouse letter for 13 (a) Resident Visa – Philippines immigration."

18 October 2012

RICARDO A DAVID JR

Commissioner

Bureau of Immigration

Intramuros, Manila

Sir:

May I respectfully request a non-quota immigrant visa under Section 13, paragraph A of the Philippine Immigration

Act as amended, in favour of my foreign spouse, ________________ , a _______________________________national. I am ____________________________________, a Philippine citizen. We were married in _______________ on _______________

I am enclosing here copy of the following documents to prove my above-cited information:

1. My NSO-issued Birth Certificate

2. Our NSO-issued Marriage Contract / Philippine Consulate-authenticated copy of our Marriage Contract /

Marriage Certificate / Family Register

3. Photocopy of the pertinent pages of his passport:

a) bio-page

B) page/s showing:

1. his immigration admission and its extension/s and

2. Bureau of Quarantine Clearance

Very truly yours,

Petitioner/Filipino Spouse

Address

Yes, the above template is what I used also and was fine. Remember all documents can be looked at by the attorney in the BOI for free and they will tell you if they are not correct before you file(This is the procedure in Manila anyway). Always remember your wife is the petitioner and you both should attend when filing and having interviews. 

I'm in Manila trying to get my 13A Form submitted...

On the Checklist you have to submit it asks for certain things like:

1. Letter request from the petitioner with a statement that all documents submitted were legally obtained from the corresponding government agencies

7. Joint Affidavit of applicant and petitioner attesting to the authenticity and genuineness of all documents sbmitted in support of the application.

Can anyone give me some examples of these to crib from ?

And also...

8. Proof of Financial of financial capacity of applicant and/or petitioner (in my case wife) during their permanent residence in the Phillipines...

I don't currently have a Phil Bank account... etc

Lastly, has anyone used a lawyer (here in Manila) not too expensive to do this for them - I'm only here for a couple of days...?

Thanks...

PS. My Balikbayan visa (see old post) was ok ... didn't cost me a penny to update my passport, but had to come to Manila to sort it out...

I got asked about my finances and what I had in banks over here but was not asked to prove it, that's not to say that sometimes they won't ask you to prove it.

Don't bother using a Lawyer, save yourself alot of expense and do it yourself IMO.

• Like 2

Good Luck.........getting a 13A is not something that can be accomplished in a few days.  You might have a copy or your original BC as well and maybe 3 or four passport type pics (see guidelines on Philippine site.)  If your paperwork and documents are in order you can look forward to at least 3 visits. 1. Application process  2. Interview process.  3. Approval/probation and ACR card.  Then after your 1 year probation you get to do most of it again to adjust your status to Permanent 13A (good for 5 years), plus the fees of course.  During your probation period you might check and see if their are any restrictions on you leaving the country.  There was a one time.  Good Luck.

I was not required  to do anything with quarantine or physical. 

• Like 1
SkyMan

The quarentine, if required, can be done in Cebu as well and maybe Tacloban.  As stated the process requires a few trips to the BI over 1-2 months and I'm pretty sure if you start it in Manila those trips will be to Manila. 

adjust your status to Permanent 13A (good for 5 years),

No, the permamnent is permanent unless somehow revoked.  The ACR card expires every 5 years but you don't have to go through the whole process, just get a new ACR. 

During your probation period you might check and see if their are any restrictions on you leaving the country.

The only restriction is that you're in country about 10-11 months after the Probationary starts so you can apply for the permanent 13A and you need to be able to pay the Annual Report due in Jan-Feb, however, I think an agent can do this for you.
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I wouldn't put p100K in a Phil bank and doing so could give you a lot of grief with HomeLand Security and the IRS if you're American depending on what other financial interests you have here.

On what factual basis are you making this statement / recommendation?

• Like 1
Headshot

On what factual basis are you making this statement / recommendation?

Well...starting the beginning of this year, any foreign bank wishing to be tied to other banks internationally must report any US citizens with more than $10,000 US (or the local currency equivalent) to the IRS. At that point the IRS will cause you grief by auditing you more frequently. You how those people with foreign accounts are. They MUST be cheating on their taxes. That said, 100k PHP equals $2,500 US, which isn't enough to fall under this rule.

• Like 2
SkyMan

That said, 100k PHP equals $2,500 US, which isn't enough to fall under this rule.

But the IRS wants to know about your total foreign investments which is why I added the "depending on what other financial interests you have here."  And I should have probably been more correct to say "depending on what other foreign interests you have." period  With more than $10K in foreign investments, you have to file an extra form disclosing all.