GoHuk

I've waited until my 50th post to say hello as I believe this number earns me my spurs.  I can now edit my profile so you will all be able to view a more accurate summary of those pesonal details that I am willing to share.

I'm British and first visited the PH in 1985.  I just missed People Power in February, 1986 by five days; my then fiancee and I left for Thailand five days before that monumentous event having watched Ferdinand Marcos declare himself duely elected yet again.  I recall that there were few private cars on the roads then and if you wished to phone Makati from Manila it was a truck call.

My fiancee and I were married in 1989 in Blackpool, England on Red Nose Day, which may be fair comment.  We rented in Makati until 1997 when we bought a house in Las Pinas.  I finally retired in 2007 and we have lived constantly in the PH since then.  My last trip to the UK was in 2006.

We operate two businesses: a small fleet of subdivision tricycles and a carinderia.  The tricycle business is a steady earner although many try to cream our income: the Municipality, Tricycle Regulatory Unit; the LTO, registration, etc.; the Tricycle Drivers and Owners, annual fees; the subdivision association, stickers.  Regulations forced us to swap out two 2-stoke motorcycles and replace them with 4-stroke.  We had the funds to buy one but had to resort to hire purchase for the second.  Maintenance is rising sharply and represents one third of gross income.  The latest twist is that the LTO refused to reregister our tricycles unless they saw proof that we paid tax.  So we now pay monthly tax of 3% on gross income.  (I implore P-Noy to spend it wisely.)

The carinderia breaks even.  If you know your socio-economic classifications we cater for C1, C2 and some D customers.  Our policy is to provide the best quality Filipino food at the lowest possible price.  It's still possible to eat at our place for 50 PHP or less.  Last December we ran a promotion where a meal of meat, vegetable, soup and rice cost 60 PHP.  Even though the business only breaks even at least the family, nine of us, eat for 'free.'  Contrary to my initial expectations, nearly half our business is take-out.

Our connection with Cebu is that my wife is Cebuano; she was born in Mandaue.  We own a tiny plot there - about 80 sq M - which was principally bought to give the extended family some where to live.  Additionally we own 9500+ sq M in Calumboyan, north of Sugod, just behind the Alegre Beach Resort.

OK, see you all in other threads.

• Like 4
jtmwatchbiz

you will all be able to view a more accurate summary of those pesonal details that I am willing to share.

way too much information there bud :)

ok seriously, nice intro and seems like you are enjoying yourself here. business can be frustrating at times but hey some of us gotta be busy with something or we'll go crazy!

enjoy and best wishes from guadalupe!

fred 

• Like 1
Buko Beach

Hello Huk,

Welcome to the forum.

:welcome2:

Mandingo

Hi Huk.........

Hope you enjoy the forum!

Headshot

Welcome...and nice post. What are you planning to do with your property by Allegre? That's a nice area, and a good-sized chunk of property, but it's a little far to commute from Las Pinas.

Thelandofku-an

Please read this in the spirit of friendship, I'm not a doom sayer but keep your business private since jealousy rears it's ugly head against even the nicest of people!

I have been here for similar times as you have and we must both be approaching the same age!

I'll add a link to a really nice friend's obit. http://www.andrew-dr...hilippines.html

Edited by Thelandofku-an!

Welcome...and nice post. What are you planning to do with your property by Allegre? That's a nice area, and a good-sized chunk of property, but it's a little far to commute from Las Pinas.

Intend to sell it unless we win the lottery.

• Like 1

Please read this in the spirit of friendship, I'm not a doom sayer but keep your business private since jealousy rears it's head even on the nicest of people!

I'll add a link to a really nice man's obit.

Thanks for the concern.  I'm canny enough not to raise my head too far above the 'firing line.'  We suffer much competition with the carinderia; people see that we are doing reasonably well and open up in competition ranging from the 'bench on the roadside' to much more elaborate establishments.  The 'bench on the roadside' we just have to weather until the owners find out they need to reinvest or the authorities close them down through lack of permits, etc.  Against more permanent establishments, we just have to be better than they are.

• Like 1
SkyMan

I finally retired in 2007

I don't think so....

But you're doing what you want and that's a pretty good definition of retirement.  Enjoy!

• Like 2
Canuck Joe

interesting Username.

I'm inspired you have found ways to earn an income here. I have a friend in Davao that has a similar style resto and makes enough to stay here. I have not had the courage to make such ventures.

Mr. Mike

Welcome , and a very nice intro!

Had some great times in Blackpool in my younger days.

Headed that way

Welcome to the forum new guy!  Wasn't that long ago I joined myself.

interesting Username.

I'm inspired you have found ways to earn an income here. I have a friend in Davao that has a similar style resto and makes enough to stay here. I have not had the courage to make such ventures.

The user name is a corruption of the phonetic interpretation of the Thai 'Goo hook' meaning, if I remember correctly, 'You're lying' or 'Liar' - maybe, 'You're joking.'  No doubt someone will correct me.

As far as the businesses are concerned it was/is a case of, 'Needs must.'  My wife of course led the way in dealing with all the bureaucracy here.  I reckon she now knows half the staff in the Municipal Hall.  The carinderia does have an advantage in that people from the Municipal Hall, Village Association, Barangay, etc. occasionally come and eat (and get treated with a moderate discount?   ;) )

Edited by GoHuk