Non-Imported products for household/pantry that you recommend

InternetTough

um...how much you weigh man.

jk I have gone through two of those crap chairs, makes me crazy, especially when picking myself up of the ground.

I weigh too much, but the same as when I was in Korea!

The next chair I get will be something simple, wooden, and strong.

The Chinese have perfected a variety of metals that are much weaker than wood. They are also good at employing cheap, but weak plastic in weight-bearing structures. 

Remember Lee Iacoca who used to say, "We want to sell you your next car---and the one after that"? Well, the Chinese are even more aggressive---they want to sell you your next chair, and the one after that, before the change of seasons!

Edited by InternetTough
  • Like 1
CardiacKid

I bought a surplus computer chair from Office Busters in Mandaue over a year ago and it is still in great shape. Looked new when I bought it except for some scuffs on the legs. Cost? 1500 pesos. Here's their website with location and phone number.  http://www.officebusters.net/   Their stuff all comes from Japan. A similar chair in Mandaue Foam was 5000 pesos. Link doesn't work as usual for me. Added contact info.

Cebu Branch

Bridges Town Square
Plaridel St., Alang, alang Mandaue City
Contact No.: (032) 520-1904 and 0920-4602375
e-mail address: [email protected]

Monday-Sunday 9:00am-6:00pm.

Edited by CardiacKid
  • Like 2
Buko Beach

Bakery products are often very good and low-priced. I would imagine this is because baking is labor-intensive. I've become quite a fan of Anita's piyaya.

Fruit is very good and has become a big part of my diet -- especially bananas and pokran (tangerines).

If you like soft drinks made with sugar, you'll love the local version of Coke. Speaking of sugar, I love muscovado.

Hmm Anita's piyaya. My favorite is Bong-Bongs piyaya. I will have to try Anita's.

The pokrans are good but some have super seeds. It's like playing seed roulette with each orange-pokran I eat. Seeds or no seeds?

I prefer the coke made in the Philippines. Cane sugar makes all the difference.

Buko Beach

I am curious.  For the posters of comparison pricing.  When was the last time you shopped a grocery store in the U.S.  Since the last time I was in Cebu, 8/11, grocery prices have gone up quite a bit.  A long with gas.  My cereal from $2.70 to 3.10 a box, pasta 80cents a package to 1.10, tea 1.89 to 2.30.  canned tuna (solid albacore)  .99 to 1.39 etc.  Not to mention gas around 2.80 to 3.80.   Just wondering if it is from memory or what.  If you have been in the Phils and watched prices go up, boy they have here too.  If I am wrong and you have some accurate data from both sides of the pond I apologize

Was your last visit in 2011, or the autumn of 2012? Either way food prices are on the rise everywhere.

I go back and forth several times a year, so my prices I mention are current. My advice was posted to help a member out who has been away from the Philippines for over a decade. Alot of guys who have never visited the Philippines read alot of bola online and most have this dumb idea that because the Philippines is rated by many as a third-world country, that living here (philippines) will be so cheap. That there dollar-pound-whatever will go alot further in the Philippines and for sure they could live off $500USD per month. When they actually visit the Philippines they quickly realize that OMG things are not so cheap and certain sacrifices will have to be made to control spending and keep the budget in check.  

A single guy can live a very basic and simple lifestyle without alot of frills and luxeries and be happy. Another guy will spend triple what the first guy spends and he will still be missing a few luxeries from back home (food wise).

Buko Beach

try to buy at local market as much possible to save money. We only go to a real grocery store every few weeks for things like whole wheat bread, canned stuff like hunts spaghetti sauce, ketchup etc.

S&R has been a blessing for treats like steak, meats and cheese.

like others have said the quality of most processed foods is terrible compared to the items copied from abroad.

Anybody try the Doritos Chips here....or any chips for that Matter?

nasty.

I loooovee S&R. The last year or so S&R has been importing better and better food products. I bought a few of those new S&R insulated bags and it helps keep frozen foods cold longer.

Didn't you hear, Doritos are made from copra in the Philippines. :D

Seriously, they do taste abit 'off' so that's why I switched to the cool ranch flavor. It's harder to find which means I end up eatting more fruit. Win-win for my waistline.

• Like 1
Headed that way

Boy the things that are hard to find.   Peperoni for pizza was MIA till I found some unsliced at one of the bigger mall grocery stores.   Pork sausage for a sausage biscuit?   Forget about it!   Yah gotta buy ground pork and add the spices yourself.  I do like the pandasol vendors that work the neighborhood before dawn.   Pandasol appears to be a yeast biscuit, not a quick bread like a regular biscuit, more like a dinner roll but not quite.  Good with sausage!

Oh and do you want to gross out your philipinno family?   Make white gravy  and try to get them to eat it.  They will eat a dang rotten stillborn duck egg though.  : )

BossHog

Love them higher quality Spanish and Portuguese-style sardines, processed locally,  that come in the glass jars.

I take the casings off the local round chorizo sausages, mix with the sardines, fry it up and add a crapload of the McCormick paprika powder.

Then, put it on pizza dough, skip the cheese altogether and bake.

Well, it's more like a  tapas dish than a pizza but you get the idea.

Perfect afternoon pulutan, beer snack.

• Like 2
Canuck Joe

I weigh too much, but the same as when I was in Korea!

The next chair I get will be something simple, wooden, and strong.

The Chinese have perfected a variety of metals that are much weaker than wood. They are also good at employing cheap, but weak plastic in weight-bearing structures. 

Remember Lee Iacoca who used to say, "We want to sell you your next car---and the one after that"? Well, the Chinese are even more aggressive---they want to sell you your next chair, and the one after that, before the change of seasons!

Yeah I'm 225 which was a good weight when I was working construction...now its all fat as all I do is sit in front of the computer breaking cheap ass Chinese chairs lol.

I gave up after the last office chair, will check out the Japanese surplus place Cardiackid mentioned.

• Like 1