I have overstayed, and plan to leave PH, can I just pay at the airport?

oneeyedking

Long story short, I had issues with banking in USA, and finally have it resolved and able to "Breathe" again.  I was not able to renew/extend my visa.  I arrived on Dec 9 2012.  I am planning a trip back to USA around April 1st. My current Visa status is just he 21 day "freebie".  When I am leaving, can I just pay the Fine/fees at the airport on my way out?

I live 9 hours by bus from Manila, in Ilocos Sur, Should I try to go before then to pay and clear it up?

My wife is in Ilocos and I will be remaining in USA until her Visa is ready.  Will I experience issues upon returning in the future?

Thanks in advance.

tokyoman

I would go to the BOI and fix everything up ASAP

At the moment you are an illegal alien and could get you in trouble if you are stopped by police

Furthermore I think your fines would be a lot more if  you wait till April 1st

mabutiman

I would not risk that the airport will accept your payment   ...defintely better to visit BOI and pay what you owe before going to the airport  ...

BossHog

To answer your questions directly:

Yes, you can fix up your overstayed visa at the airport.

It's a common situation and not that big of a deal.

I'd allow plenty of extra time at the airport. It probably will take only a few minutes, though.

It won't affect your future return.

That being said: every province in the country has an immigration office so you would be better off doing it there before departure. No need to travel to Manila for this.

Here's a list of immigration offices in northern Luzon:

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=128&Itemid=72

You can also download the forms from the BI site, fill them out at home and save yourself some time in the office.

Additionally, you may be asked to provide a short handwritten letter explaining the reason for your overstay.

Needless to say dressing well and being polite go a long way.

Dress code: "All APPLICANTS are required to dress properly. Applicants wearing shorts, sandos, and slippers will not be allowed to ENTER the Immigration Office."

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 5

I overstayed by 2 days once--went to the BOI for extension and got it--then when I went to the airport the lady told me--why did I go to the trouble of going to BOI--when I could have just paid it at the airport :idontknow:

BTW-- no shorts at BOI--I think no flip-flops also

• Like 1
smokey

I would not risk that the airport will accept your payment   ...defintely better to visit BOI and pay what you owe before going to the airport  ...

Especially as he plans on coming BACK  if he pays at the airport and for some strange reason it dont get credited to him well coming back will not be on the list 

I overstayed by 2 days once--went to the BOI for extension and got it--then when I went to the airport the lady told me--why did I go to the trouble of going to BOI--when I could have just paid it at the airport :idontknow:

BTW-- no shorts at BOI--I think no flip-flops also

2 days is a 00000  5 months ???  better to fix before the airport or flights can be missed

ellenbrook2001

the matter hes if you confront a very nice officer at the airport no problems but if you encounter a women officer in menopause time sure you are for the trip of your life last year in MANILA my visa was fine did stay just under 6 months the next day will be 6 months ,but that grumpy women did ask where hes your letter too live the country a did explain a was not yet 6 months in a very polite way anywhere shes call another officer then go too hes office hahah then check all my visa then 5 minutes later all fine ,then back too the women or has a dirty look on me, then the guy say all fine you can go?????? in your situation mate will go too the nearest immigration office too fixed you may be fine at the airport or not you never know the mood of the officer at that time.

• Like 1
smokey

the matter hes if you confront a very nice officer at the airport no problems but if you encounter a women officer in menopause time sure you are for the trip of your life last year in MANILA my visa was fine did stay just under 6 months the next day will be 6 months ,but that grumpy women did ask where hes your letter too live the country a did explain a was not yet 6 months in a very polite way anywhere shes call another officer then go too hes office hahah then check all my visa then 5 minutes later all fine ,then back too the women or has a dirty look on me, then the guy say all fine you can go?????? in your situation mate will go too the nearest immigration office too fixed you may be fine at the airport or not you never know the mood of the officer at that time.

that goes for all government employees 

Woolf

Here you will find the list of fees to pay

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=118&Itemid=43

also note this

Fine for Overstaying (Additional P 500.00) pre month           Motion for Reconsideration for Overstaying (Additional P 500.00)           Legal Research Fee (LRF) of P 10.00    

2 days is a 00000

well they made me pay for an extension--I don't remember how much though--But I agree that it would be better to get it from the BOI if possible -cuz the money might end up in someones pocket

smokey

well they made me pay for an extension--I don't remember how much though--But I agree that it would be better to get it from the BOI if possible -cuz the money might end up in someones pocket

and he is going to be coming back to the pi no need for a surprise on a return 

SkyMan

You go to the airport with a very expensive ticket in hand and they know this.  They know you would be willing to pay a lot to make your flight.  Do you want to give someone this power over you?  If you have to go to Manila, go the day before and take care of it at the BI before you go to the airport.

• Like 2

They know you would be willing to pay a lot to make your flight. Do you want to give someone this power over you?

EXACTLY

Agree with all who recommend that you visit the BoI asap.  If you do leave it until departure at the airport be advised that the emigration officials only accept Peso cash!  Happened to me once - only a coup[le of days over - but I had by that time shed all my Pesos.  I had to backtrack to the departure hall where luckily there was an open money changer.  At least I knew by then the amount I had to pay.

• Like 1
oneeyedking

Thank you all so much for your varied and prudent advice.  I have located the nearest BOI and will be visiting there asap.  (dressed appropriately of course)