I just read Turbota's very thorough and informative guide to the Direct Consular Filing green card/immigrant visa application process, but (me being me) I still have a few questions:

1. It looks as though this has to be done at the embassy in Manila, not at the consulate here in Cebu. Is this correct?

2A. Can the initial application paperwork, passports, documents, photos and application fee be sent to the embassy via courrier service or something, or does it have to be delivered in person?

2B: If in person, would I have to go there and do it myself as the petitioner, or could a friend or another family member submit the application for me (i.e. someone I know who's already going to Manila? Trying to avoid a trip to Manila for myself if I can. Not looking forward to dealing with a big city, getting ripped off by taxi drivers, maybe getting robbed, etc.)

3. We own some real property. Its title shows the property in Karen's name but with me listed as her husband, rather than that it's jointly owned by both of us (because, of course, foreigners cannot own land here.) It this OK for the application process or would the title of a vehicle, which does show us as joint owners, be better? Or does it matter which we use? (I think this is just for evidence that we're actually married and cohabiting as opposed to, say,  proof of having assets in the Philippines to return to as with tourist visa applications, as it says that a rental lease contract in both our names can also be used instead of a title.)

4. Turbota's "how-to" post mentions that Karen's CFO Seminar can be done either in Manila or in Cebu, but he only gives the location/contact info for the Manila site. Where in Cebu are these seminars held?

5. Would having one (or more) co-sponsors (who live in the US) help to ensure that Karen gets her visa/green card, or are they not really required?

TIA for any insight on this process that you can provide. :)

shadow

1; Yes, you must apply in Manila,  Cebu consulate does not have anything to do with the visa process.

2; In person by the petitioner.

3; Anything with both your names on it will help to establish relationship as well as your residence here.

4; They are now only held at the CFO office, read this http://www.pinayvisa.com/the-cfo-seminar.html

5; If you do not meet the income guidelines or have enough assets, a co-sponsor will be required.

The whole process is relatively painless if you have all your ducks in a row.  But the bottom line is you and or your wife will be making three (3) trips to Manila. One, filing your Petition, two, her physical (usually 2 days), and three, the interview process. .  Your Petition can also be followed up by phone after about 7 working days by calling the Visa Section (not the section you filed your petition with).   Her actual application and accompanying forms (4 pages) can be faxed and followed up on by phone within 48 hours by calling the Visa Section, then her interview appointment can then be scheduled on-line and printed out. 

If you are not a permanent resident (13A etc:) then you will have to prove you have been living here at least 6 months to use the DCF procedure.  Titles, utility bills, registrations, DL, anything that will prove you have been living here.

Most any taxi driver will know where the CFO Office is, we stopped by there yesterday to get my wifes stamp affixed to her passport for departure. 

I did not meet the income guidelines, however I was able to to show assets that satisfied them.  Read guidelines carefully.

I completed the process start to finish in 56 days, (visa in hand).  Read, read, read........pay attention to detail.........be organised.........and do not wait on them to contact you if you are in a hurry.  Be pro-active!  Good Luck.

shadow

The whole process is relatively painless if you have all your ducks in a row.  But the bottom line is you and or your wife will be making three (3) trips to Manila. One, filing your Petition, two, her physical (usually 2 days), and three, the interview process. .  Your Petition can also be followed up by phone after about 7 working days by calling the Visa Section (not the section you filed your petition with).   Her actual application and accompanying forms (4 pages) can be faxed and followed up on by phone within 48 hours by calling the Visa Section, then her interview appointment can then be scheduled on-line and printed out. 

If you are not a permanent resident (13A etc:) then you will have to prove you have been living here at least 6 months to use the DCF procedure.  Titles, utility bills, registrations, DL, anything that will prove you have been living here.

Most any taxi driver will know where the CFO Office is, we stopped by there yesterday to get my wifes stamp affixed to her passport for departure. 

I did not meet the income guidelines, however I was able to to show assets that satisfied them.  Read guidelines carefully.

I completed the process start to finish in 56 days, (visa in hand).  Read, read, read........pay attention to detail.........be organised.........and do not wait on them to contact you if you are in a hurry.  Be pro-active!  Good Luck.

Most of our clients only make two trips, one for filing the petition, and one for the medical and interview.

Most of our clients only make two trips, one for filing the petition, and one for the medical and interview.

I'm sure this can be done that way but I played it safe to avoid a couple possible scenarios.  I did not schedule the interview till I knew the physical was ok.  A spot on the lungs and the sputum test that follows would cause one to cancel the scheduled interview.  I can and does happen.  It also takes a couple days for the actual paperwork to be sent and logged in to the Embassy which means a few more nights in Manila and the added expense that entails. I could actually fly back for the interview for about the same costs. 

I could have cut another 10 days or so off the process by doing it that way, but wanted to be sure all was well prior to scheduling our interview.  The actual interview process was a breeze.  We got to the Embassy at 6:45am, inside at 7:00am, approved and back on the street at 10:00am.     

SkyMan

But the bottom line is you and or your wife will be making three (3) trips to Manila. One, filing your Petition,

But then you say...

Her actual application and accompanying forms (4 pages) can be faxed and followed up on by phone within 48 hours by calling the Visa Section

So, in person or via fax?

A spot on the lungs and the sputum test that follows would cause one to cancel the scheduled interview. I can and does happen.

Yes, but getting a local chest XRay in Cebu can prepare you for that possibility.  It's probably less likely to pass here and fail there.  And if you have to reschedule the interview, I'm sure they're used to that happening too.
Headshot

getting a local chest XRay in Cebu can prepare you for that possibility.  It's probably less likely to pass here and fail there.  And if you have to reschedule the interview, I'm sure they're used to that happening too.

That would be nice, but many women have been x-rayed prior to going to Manila (with negative results) only to have St. Lukes find a "spot" on the x-ray she gets there. It has happened so often that some people believe the St. Lukes x-ray machine has built in spots that show up randomly on applicants' x-rays.

• Like 3
ozboy

Exactly Headshot...my canadian neighbour had 2 previous X-Rays at High Precision especially asking them to find anything that would show up in a visa related medical.nothing all clear n good to go.......sure enough the spot appeared n after nearly 4 months of treatment the spot disappears.....

..sure enough the spot appeared n after nearly 4 months of treatment the spot disappears.....

inconceivable-1.jpg

shadow

I'm sure this can be done that way but I played it safe to avoid a couple possible scenarios.  I did not schedule the interview till I knew the physical was ok.  A spot on the lungs and the sputum test that follows would cause one to cancel the scheduled interview.  I can and does happen.  It also takes a couple days for the actual paperwork to be sent and logged in to the Embassy which means a few more nights in Manila and the added expense that entails. I could actually fly back for the interview for about the same costs. 

I could have cut another 10 days or so off the process by doing it that way, but wanted to be sure all was well prior to scheduling our interview.  The actual interview process was a breeze.  We got to the Embassy at 6:45am, inside at 7:00am, approved and back on the street at 10:00am.     

The much dreaded interview usually turns out to be one of the the easiest parts of the process.

In the last year, there have been a half dozen or so people tell us that we could have saved them time and money, simply by knowing the new procedures in place. The same holds true here. Procedures change all the time. How much does an extra trip to Manila and food/lodging cost?

Edited by shadow

But then you say...So, in person or via fax?Yes, but getting a local chest XRay in Cebu can prepare you for that possibility.  It's probably less likely to pass here and fail there.  And if you have to reschedule the interview, I'm sure they're used to that happening too.

I'm not gonna argue or mix words.........I suggest you spend several months reading and learning the procedure as I did.  Then you might have a clue!  Your Petition is one thing......her application for a visa is totally something else.  She can not apply for a visa until your petition is approved.........her application along and part 1 of another form along with readiness for interview form can be faxed! 

Now you can get spend all the money you want on x-rays........but they do not mean squat!  St Luke's has they last say.........their x-ray is what counts!  A spot on theirs will cost you about 3 days in Manila spitting in a test tube and then about two months to get your results.  Bear in mind that your visa is valid for six months from the date of your initial physical........not your interview and approval.........so in actuality if you do have to endure the sputum culture you visa will only be good from the initial date of your physical!  That cuts 2 plus months off your visa validity!

Now I'm not gonna argue about it.........Shadow knows as well as I that many have some misguided concepts.  I did the process in 56 days........and could have shaved another 10 days from that had I scheduled my interview within a day or two after her physical.  Now if you can feel you know more about then go for it.  I wish you luck. 

You know that's what really pisses me off about people here!  They ask for advise about visa's......property.......building........selling.........laws........on and on.  Then when some one that actually has did these things successfully and profitably responds.....what do they do?  Listen to those that think they know......rather they the few that have really lived it, built it, survived it and profited........go figure!  I hope you all succeed......but you better learn quickly to seek out people that have actually been there, done that!  If there is one thing I have learned in the past four years here.........do your own research..........you will be better off in the end.........99% think they know everything......about 1% actually know what they are talking about.    

• Like 4
USMC-Retired

See learned something new with your post M60 I thought visa was good for SIX months from time of approval not the Physical yet that makes perfect sense.  

Though you may disagree and had success otherwise, in my reading of all of this.  What I have read and correct if I am wrong however it makes perfect sense to me.  You should prior to going to Lukes get an Xray.  Why, is simple if there is a spot found on the lung you can then do what is required prior to spending the money that Luke will charge.  More like preventive kinda thing.  If you show a positive here you can then do a sputum to confirm it. Then take the medicine to allow your body to clear of TB.  Yet there still could be a scar on your lungs after you are clear so you would still fail the Xray at Lukes.  Yet you know you will pass the sputum test.  This approach sounds logical to me and for the cost of around 30 dollars it is just good preventive idea.  

• Like 1
shadow

See learned something new with your post M60 I thought visa was good for SIX months from time of approval not the Physical yet that makes perfect sense.  

Though you may disagree and had success otherwise, in my reading of all of this.  What I have read and correct if I am wrong however it makes perfect sense to me.  You should prior to going to Lukes get an Xray.  Why, is simple if there is a spot found on the lung you can then do what is required prior to spending the money that Luke will charge.  More like preventive kinda thing.  If you show a positive here you can then do a sputum to confirm it. Then take the medicine to allow your body to clear of TB.  Yet there still could be a scar on your lungs after you are clear so you would still fail the Xray at Lukes.  Yet you know you will pass the sputum test.  This approach sounds logical to me and for the cost of around 30 dollars it is just good preventive idea.  

We have in a few instances recommended to clients to have a chest xray prior to going to St. Lukes. These were in cases with older clients where there was contact with TB. As you say, just as a precaution. If it shows up in Cebu, St. Lukes IS going to find it, better to be prepared.  However, M60 man is correct, nothing any other clinic or doctor says holds any water with St Lukes, they have their own drummer.

ozboy

Don't understand why our embassy allows us to do medicals at Cebu Doc n another place n you guys need to travel to manila...

smokey

ohhhh and that is if Everything goes as planned we made 7 trips total due to a cloudy spot on an x ray and an extra 2 trips to bring full divorce papers for me and full annulment papers for her and an extra trip to have her original marriage cert. Stamped annulled .., so bring everything you are told to bring plus everything you might need and hope for the best.. The cloud on her x ray was from an accident when she was hit by a bike but she had to do the extra testing just to make sure and of course by the time the extra testing was over her physical which is good for 6 months was now at 7 months so another physical was called for 

We have in a few instances recommended to clients to have a chest xray prior to going to St. Lukes. These were in cases with older clients where there was contact with TB. As you say, just as a precaution. If it shows up in Cebu, St. Lukes IS going to find it, better to be prepared.  However, M60 man is correct, nothing any other clinic or doctor says holds any water with St Lukes, they have their own drummer.

great idea and if they have signs of tb they can start meds right away 

• Like 1