On-Topic on Off-Topic

SkyMan

SkyMan

Frequently there are complains about a thread going Off-Topic and sometimes I wonder why.  Why the complaints that is.  Sure, I can see that if the OP has a particular question or desired discussion, it would be rude to the OP to wander off topic.  But if the OP is just a news item or the question has been pretty well covered or answered, who cares?  LinC is a group of people together to talk about things, kind of like a cocktail party with lots of little conversations going on at the same time and how do conversations go?  They don't stick rigidly to one particular subject until it's fully discussed.  They flow here to there to there.   

• Like 8

One of the main reasons is that all posts are preserved and available for future readers.

This forum is a source of information, not just for the people that ask the question, but for others in future.

EVen the news items reflect what is important / interesting at the time.

Whilst all this banter might be amusing to the posters, just consider the tens, perhaps hundreds, of people that will stumble across this thread in years to come.

They will probably think that the LinC posters were all drunk... or something.

Well, I won't go through all the BS posts here. I will simply answer the original post and leave it at that.

When new members or guests are viewing the forum, they are, most likely, seeking specific information. So, let's say that Guest A visits the site and seeks information on widgets. However, the topic he locates and begins to read, quickly turns to waffles. Perhaps his concern was answered, and perhaps it wasn't.

The idea behind keeping thread "on-Topic" is so people can find the associated answers to questions or concerns previously posted on this site. Simple, really.

Since I set precedence for this site, this is something I want the members to do. It isn't some impossible feat to accomplish. I do not think that is too much to ask of the membership, especially when they can start new topics at the (single) click of a mouse button.

Now, I will move this topic to "Forum Questions" and lock it, since it has been appropriately answered.

• Like 1

By the way, I previously stated that i lost my sense of humor. I meant it.

I want these topics to stay on course, and I bloody well mean that too!

If you want to post silly, stupid shit, do it downstairs. That is what those forums are for. I want valid, genuine information in the upstairs forums on this site, to benefit those who seek it.

• Like 1