Warning Points: A complete explanation

Recently, I have noticed an increase of sarcastic replies, and indirect and direct attacks on members, by some others.

This is, in part, due to some members having issues with others in given threads. Several of these members have access to the downstairs forums, where they are supposed to "get all this off their chests". However, some continue to carry on and continue with these same types of posts (attacks) in upstairs threads.

So, I have decided, rather than simply ban members from a given topic where these attacks take place, to permanently ban these members. (Trying to be easier on members just doesn't work.) Before, we merely banned members from topics for personal attacks. Now, we will simply issue 10 warning points to the given attacker, which will ban that member from the entire forum, permanently. Note: No advanced warning.

If someone attacks you in a post, please do not hesitate to click the "report" button in the offending post. This will notify the staff and we can follow the link back to the specific post / infraction in order to sort it for you. (You may also report a post where someone else was attacked.)

For those interested, here is an updated view of the warning points given for specific infractions of the rules.

warning_points.JPG

Now, an explanation of the Warn System and points earned for various infractions of the rules.

1. Points may be issued by any staff member, including Administrators (Founder, Code Administrator, and Forum Administrators), Global Moderators, and Forum Moderators.

2. Points, in varying amounts, will (automatically) be attached upon your account receiving a given warning. The length of time the points stay attached to your account, depends on the severity of the given infraction. (No, I will not tell you how long the points will stay on your account, prior to (automatically) being removed. That would take all the fun out of it, for me.) I will say that all points drop off your account after varying lengths of time, with the exception of 10 point violations, which are issued for permanent (banning) offenses.

3. So, if any member accrues 10 points, or more, that account will automatically, and immediately be banned from the site. (That means, even if you have several less severe warnings issued (which total 10 points), you will end up banned due to the points accruing faster than the older points have fallen off your account. Please keep that in mind.)

4. Communications to let you know you have been warned will not be issued by staff, because the software will automatically do that as well.

5. Before anyone asks, the answer is no. No one but you and the staff have access to your warnings or your warn panel.

Any questions?

• Like 1
Davaoeno

Recently, I have noticed an increase of sarcastic replies, and indirect and direct attacks on members, by some others.

Straight question here - you lump sarcastic replies in with personal attacks.  Does that mean if i say something sarcastic that in no way attacks a member I will get 5 points?

Second straight question - you say that you get 5 points for p*orn pictures.  I still do no know what constitutes a p*orn picture. Of course pictures showing sex between people is obviously p*orn, but recently we saw pictures of nude women here- and obviously that was not considered to be p*orn. Yesterday someone made a comment about body piercings- and i was going to post a picture of a flacid penis with a Prince Albert piercing - but hesitated to do so because i really didnt know if it was p*orn or not.  Is posting a picture of a vagina and saying " this is my gfs p*ssy " p*orn ? Previously it obviously wasnt - but now I am not so sure.  In the tatoo thread i was going to post a picture of a nude female with a tatoo- but again did not know if it was p*orn - nor who would be the judge    Some things seem to vary from admin to admin, or from mod to mod, and also depending on the mods mood.  

As I said these are straight questions, not in any way meant to be sarcastic nor to attack anyone. But if the rules are going to be tightened up and enforced rigorously i think it is important for the members to know exactly what the rules are

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

Some things seem to vary from admin to admin, or from mod to mod, and also depending on the mods mood. As I said these are straight questions, not in any way meant to be sarcastic nor to attack anyone. But if the rules are going to be tightened up and enforced rigorously i think it is important for the members to know exactly what the rules are

Mods have discretion in interpreting the written rules that in some cases may be reversed.

I think a good starting point for the open forum would be to NOT post anything that you wouldn't want some old man showing to your underage daughter.

Edited by RogerDuMond
  • Like 6
jtmwatchbiz

Some things seem to vary from admin to admin, or from mod to mod, and also depending on the mods mood. As I said these are straight questions, not in any way meant to be sarcastic nor to attack anyone. But if the rules are going to be tightened up and enforced rigorously i think it is important for the members to know exactly what the rules are

Mods have discretion in interpreting the written rules that in some cases may be reversed.

I think a good starting point for the open forum would be to NOT post anything that you wouldn't want some old man showing to your underage daughter.

that's actually about the most sensible explanation i think anyone could ask for. i guess we all should consider the audience on the open forum and tone it to fit all age groups in a PG rating sort of way. i for one will do my best!

• Like 1

.... I run close to 900 forums. Banning wont do a single thing nor will a points system. Plus people will just create new accounts. There are far more better and intelligent ways to deal with this.

RogerDuMond

And there are 1000s of better ways to run a forum without using mods.

Thanks for your input. I am sure Paul will take your comments under advisement.

• Like 3
Headshot

.... I run close to 900 forums. Banning wont do a single thing nor will a points system. Plus people will just create new accounts. There are far more better and intelligent ways to deal with this.

Well, I'm sure you have already emailed Paul with all of your far more better ways to keep members from bending and breaking the rules. He will be extremely overjoyed when he is made fully aware of this new methodology.

• Like 2
On 2/24/2013 at 6:45 AM, Rossco said:

If you have a better idea, I am all ears. yahoo (dot) paul (at) gmail (dot) com

On 2/24/2013 at 6:07 AM, Davaoeno said:

As I said these are straight questions, not in any way meant to be sarcastic nor to attack anyone. But if the rules are going to be tightened up and enforced rigorously i think it is important for the members to know exactly what the rules are

If you don't attack anyone in any thread on the upstairs forums, Ian, then you have nothing to worry about.

I am not in the mood today for this, trust me.

On 2/24/2013 at 8:08 AM, dc3driver said:

Now we have "risk of closure" Popping up in red on the forum headings. What is that all about?

That is to let the members know they are going too far off topic, or perhaps things are heating up a bit in the thread and they need to cool it down.

Please note, there will be no warnings given prior to banning members for attacks. Once someone attacks another member upstairs, it will be an immediate ban from the site.

By the way, the next person who goes off topic in this thread will be banned from the forum.

musicman666

Just checking out the new reply on tapatalk.....but thanks for the honesty ...I guess when I can't post ill know that I hit the limit.....hope I don't pick up any points on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just checking out the new reply on tapatalk.....but thanks for the honesty ...I guess when I can't post ill know that I hit the limit.....hope I don't pick up any points on this one. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mate, it's simple. Just go by the rules set forth on this site, and there will be no issues. I am simply tired of seeing people attacked, newbies, seasoned members, everyone, over nothing, usually.