Tourist/Spousal Visa question(USA)

shadow

having been in an interview ... my wife was also turned down for a visitors visa but later did get an IR1 but most of the harsh treatment at the US embassy is not directed at you by  Americans who work in the Philippines  but by people from the Philippines working at the us embassy  

This is very true. Most of our clients who have had bad experiences at the embassy got those experiences from their fellow countrywomen. Also a few years back there was a Korean man (maybe naturalized?) working there who was very unpopular.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• SkyMan

• shadow

• Monsoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bill, stop trying to think logically about this subject. You are talking about the US State Department here. Logic doesn't apply.   No...really...this is just one way your government can show their

My wife got approved first time interview for a 10 year multi entry visa. She had zero ties to the Philippines and made it clear to the interviewer.    I'd hardly call it impossible like some in thi

I know there has been much discussion on here of spouses being turned down for tourist visa, yet spousal visa seems to be basically automatic as long as income/support is no issue. My question is why

The best answer that I received from a government official was that the difference is that tourist visa approval is discretionary where a spousal visa can not be denied except in cases of certain diseases, criminal record, or fraud.

That's the problem IMO, giving discretionary power to those State Dept clerks. I'd preferf a point system like Canada has or a bond requirement. Current system is too random and corrupt in that insiders can do things like taking their yaya's and servants to the states, or flat out pay to play schemes. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

My wife's tourist visa was approved first time through. No magic, no special back handers or phone calls made to anyone who knows anybody. Based on our experience I think a lot of what is said about difficulty is over hyped. I think there are reasons why many get denied but either husbands don't want to mention it here (of course its easier to blame someone else) or don't realize it.

Further my wife said everyone at the embassy was courteous, polite and respectful to her at all stages of the process. She had a 6:30AM appointment and was home (sans passport) by 9:30.

mactanfamily

I think a lot of what is said about difficulty is over hyped.

Bullshit

Six figure US$ income, clean tax, clean record. Lived in Cebu at the time 10 years. Married 7. Own a six figure US$ house in Cebu. Own a million peso car. Work for the US government  as a contractor. Wife as clean as can be, college grad, but no job, housewife with the US citizen kids. 

Tried twice. They did not even look at the packet. Both times asked where I worked. She told the truth said "for six months a year IN THE US."

They said because of that they think she wont come back.

We did not want to move to the US.

F*#% that. We finally just did the IR2 DCF visa with Shadow's help. Had it in 3 1/2 months. Original plan was to turn in the green card after a visit so we could get the 10 year tourist visa. We are here now and so thankful the idiots did that to us. We love it so much more here. Quality of life for the kids is just so much better. The wife and I may wind up back there, but not anytime soon. All I see is Cebu going more and more down hill. 13 years was enough. Every year was worse and worse. We really did not know how bad it had gotten until we lived here a few weeks. Hopefully something changes in the next few years.

Bottom line. Just get the damn IR2. Turn it in if you want to live in the Philippines. You will save money in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Bullshit

Well I can assure you its not bullshit. My wife was approved. First time through. Nobody asked about income or assets. Although by our address they can tell I'm not a bum.

smokey

Bill, stop trying to think logically about this subject. You are talking about the US State Department here. Logic doesn't apply.

No...really...this is just one way your government can show their displeasure in any American man who would actually CHOOSE to live in a foreign country and marry a foreign wife. After all, what American man would do such a thing? Haven't they all been subdued to the point of no longer expecting anything better? You are setting a bad example for those still living in the US under the social system they now have. Add to that the fact that your government considers ALL American men living in the Philippines as sexpats, and you can quickly deduce what they consider your wife to be.

By labelling you, it makes it easier for them to denigrate and demonize you, which is what they want. If the rules for spousal visas could be changed without causing them to look really stupid in front of the world, they would give you a hard time with that as well. Face it. As long as the "liberals" are in charge, nothing will change.

Then why are almost all of the interviews conducted by NON Americans ... maybe the short ans. would of been why are there almost 1,000,000 people from the philippines staying illegally in the usa did they forget to use their return ticket? Do you think if you were in charge and for every 100 visa you granted 20 would lie to you to your face you would be easy to grant

Edited by smokey
smokey

And lets see all of these Americans MEN  how many came to visit angeles city??   How many came to find a wife younger then their granddaughters ?  And the us could care less as long as someone  else besides the american tax payers is responsible to support these trophy wives.((( THAT IS WHY THEY GRANT K-1 AND NOT TOURIST VISA ) , I sure am not interested in supporting some guys bar fine from angeles ... I would say 60% of the men come here for WOMEN and not for the sun and the tropics.. This is like when you get caught reading a penthouse magazine and you say .. oh i am only reading the jokes  ,,  So tell me how does the embassy tell the serious guys from the sex tourist ?  Lots of guys come here fall in love and want to take their candy home with them 

mactanfamily

Well I can assure you its not bullshit.

Im not saying you can't get one, but it is rare and most certainly has no rhyme or reason. 

Knowing the odds, do you really want to gamble $500 a shot? I'm not the only one that will tell you this, so I do think it's fair to call bullshit on anyone saying that the failure rate is over hyped.

Congrats to any who go it. I'm glad for you. But when someone gives me a valid reason why we were denied twice with my qualifications, and the many others I have spoken to were denied, then I may also say the complaints are "OVER HYPED". I wont hold my breath.

I wish i had my own advice 3 years ago. 

shadow

Well I can assure you its not bullshit. My wife was approved. First time through. Nobody asked about income or assets. Although by our address they can tell I'm not a bum.

Based on the experience of most, I think you were just plain lucky!

SkyMan

And lets see all of these Americans MEN how many came to visit angeles city??

What men?  Are you saying all men?  I went to Angeles one day to meet a friend.  Didn't like it and left.

How many came to find a wife younger then their granddaughters ?

Rules violation, but my granddaughter is almost 1. 

And the us could care less as long as someone else besides the american tax payers is responsible to support these trophy wives.((( THAT IS WHY THEY GRANT K-1 AND NOT TOURIST VISA ) , I sure am not interested in supporting some guys bar fine from angeles

We're talking about tourist visas for wives so how does either type visa make the American tax payers more or less responsible?

I would say 60% of the men come here for WOMEN and not for the sun and the tropics.. This is like when you get caught reading a penthouse magazine and you say .. oh i am only reading the jokes

Maybe but way OT.

So tell me how does the embassy tell the serious guys from the sex tourist ?

Well, sex tourists don't tend to marry the girl.  But if they do, they have every right to a K-1 so I really don't see the point you're trying to make.
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Based on the experience of most, I think you were just plain lucky!

But I never even win raffles! Although my wife's Chinese friend told her what her lucky numbers for the year were and she happened to have her interview on a date matching those numbers. So that must have been it.

Again I have a different theory. And I know a lot of Filipinos male and female, single and married, old and young with tourist visas from the US. In fact it was a big reason why I told my wife to just go ahead and try for a tourist visa. Reading here would make me say, "nah not worth it theres like 0% chance." But after talking to more and more Pinoys with US visas, many in the same age and demographic as my wife, I thought, why not. And well, she was approved.

Edited by Monsoon
SkyMan

But when someone gives me a valid reason why we were denied twice with my qualifications, and the many others I have spoken to were denied

For 1 thing: "twice with my qualifications" your qualifications have zero to do with it.  It is your wife petition for the tourist visa based on her own qualifications and nobody has anything to do with it.  So your million peso car and your 6 figure salary don't help at all.  And the fact she has strong ties to the US in her husband who spends 6 months a year there and little tie to the RP pretty much make her an automatic denial.  Now that's not my personal belief but how I believe the interviewers are looking at it.
mactanfamily

Anyone reading this please disregard my previous posts. Spend your time money on a tourist visa. The US government and the Filipino workers at the embassy will most likely give you the visa. Have a nice trip.

Mactan family out

shadow

But I never even win raffles! Although my wife's Chinese friend told her what her lucky numbers for the year were and she happened to have her interview on a date matching those numbers. So that must have been it.

Again I have a different theory. And I know a lot of Filipinos male and female, single and married, old and young with tourist visas from the US. In fact it was a big reason why I told my wife to just go ahead and try for a tourist visa. Reading here would make me say, "nah not worth it theres like 0% chance." But after talking to more and more Pinoys with US visas, many in the same age and demographic as my wife, I thought, why not. And well, she was approved.

We do not normally process tourist visas. However, we have had mild success on coaching wives (2) of expats through the tourist visa interview, but they were also cases where there was no logical reason for these women to be denied, their ties and assets were well overkill. (But they had been denied previously, one had been denied twice.) With coaching, the women got through and both now have 10 years multiple entry visas.

The hard part is getting someone to actually LOOK at what she has. That is the number one complaint of tourist visa applicants that were denied, "He/She didn't even LOOK at my papers!". The second part is having documentation in front of him/her and get his attention quick. You have 5 seconds. LEAD the interview, don't let it lead you. Many Filipinas are not confrontational or brave enough to lead, but they have to be proactive immediately and get that documentation in their face. Make them stop and take a look.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

The hard part is getting someone to actually LOOK at what she has. That is the number one complaint of tourist visa applicants that were denied, "He/She didn't even LOOK at my papers!". The second part is having documentation in front of him/her and get his attention quick. You have 5 seconds. LEAD the interview, don't let it lead you. Many Filipinas are not confrontational or brave enough to lead, but they have to be proactive immediately and get that documentation in their face. Make them stop and take a look.

They only looked at her passport and our marriage certificate. But she went in with a lot of stuff.

That's very similar advice that I gave her before she went. For example know why they are asking certain questions. Like, "Your husband is American?" and of course they have the presumption of immigration so her answer was, "Yes, but he is a permanent resident here and has been living and working in Asia for xx years and the Philippines for x years." Instead of just "yes".

Also she wore a women's business suit, and didn't  pal up with all the other applicants, particularly the ones that looked like a deer in headlights. I couldn't believe what she told me some women were wearing there. She said there was one girl in a see through dress (I always miss the good stuff), and several looked like they were dressed for an evening out clubbing. She must have done a good job looking professional because she said one girl came up to her and asked her a question about the process and mistook her for an employee of the embassy. LOL

• Like 2