Debit card problem

JasonEcos

Most Philippine ATM's have a max single withdrawl limit 15000php. HSBC has a higher single withdrawl limit, but that depends on what limits are placed on your account/card from your bank.

Many of the ATMs in Balamban have a single withdrawal limit of 10,000 pesos HSBC's single withdrawal limit is 40,000 pesos of course the only HSBC branch on Cebu is in Cebu City.

This is also my experience in Cebu City/Mactan. The vast majority of atms I come across give out 10k per pop. I've only come across a few that give more or less.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kreole

• Paul

• Dolsos

• GoHuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

all members coming to the ph for the first time let this be a lesson.Always come with 2 of each,ATM and CREDIT cards from different banks to cover these situations and be sure and double check with yo

I learned that one the hard way last year after having my pocket picked... now i have 2 Debit cards for the account , one stays in a safe place, tied to my travel account.. I only transfer enough into

They should be able to reset you pin have them fed ex it to you.  Or call them see if they can do it by phone

I think that money transfer is probably the fastest and least expensive way to receive funds at this point in time.  I went to the Xoom site and they make it seem like it is easy and economical. However, having never used this service I do not know if the reality matches the advertising.  I am waiting for a return email.  Does XOOM charge for me to pick up the money here in Cebu?  I am considering transferring funds ($2,900) from my bank account in the US to a location here in Cebu.  Any recommendations as to where is the best location that would actually be able to hand over that amount of money?  I am staying very close to Fuente Osmenia.

I think that money transfer is probably the fastest and least expensive way to receive funds at this point in time.  I went to the Xoom site and they make it seem like it is easy and economical. However, having never used this service I do not know if the reality matches the advertising.  I am waiting for a return email.  Does XOOM charge for me to pick up the money here in Cebu?  I am considering transferring funds ($2,900) from my bank account in the US to a location here in Cebu.  Any recommendations as to where is the best location that would actually be able to hand over that amount of money?  I am staying very close to Fuente Osmenia.

First off, I sent my wife money with xoom countless times they've never charged her to pick it up, I think WU was charging you a kano tax.  

Second, Xoom may have issues with a first time user sending $2900, I know I tried sending the max it said I could my first time and they immediately cancelled the transaction, I emailed them and they responded with an auto email and said I was banned, I finally called in and they said they had had fraud with someone of a similar name to my reciever so the system rejected the transaction.  I managed to get them to process it and since then its worked fine.

You may have issues with your IP being here, if you have someone you trust in the states you may want them to send it from there, or use a proxy or vpn but they may pick up on that too, I don't know.

Second, Xoom may have issues with a first time user sending $2900, I know I tried sending the max it said I could my first time and they immediately cancelled the transaction, I emailed them and they responded with an auto email and said I was banned, I finally called in and they said they had had fraud with someone of a similar name to my reciever so the system rejected the transaction.  I managed to get them to process it and since then its worked fine.

Were you sending money via a credit or debit card or your bank account?  Aside from your name issue, I would be surprised if they rejected funds from an established US bank account in the name of the recipient.  After all, I am sending money to myself in the RP.  But I never under estimate just how screwed up these transactions can become when you cannot speak personally with csr.  And even then it may take a long time to get straightened out.  I will explore the option of having a friend of mine sending me the money since my IP is now originating from the RP.  Thanks for the head up.

Were you sending money via a credit or debit card or your bank account?  Aside from your name issue, I would be surprised if they rejected funds from an established US bank account in the name of the recipient.  After all, I am sending money to myself in the RP.  But I never under estimate just how screwed up these transactions can become when you cannot speak personally with csr.  And even then it may take a long time to get straightened out.  I will explore the option of having a friend of mine sending me the money since my IP is now originating from the RP.  Thanks for the head up.

I was using the bank account information, debit card may be the best way to go I think its more expensive but they'd get hte money instantly so less chance of rejection.  

You'd think sending it to yourself would make it easier but I could see them rejecting it for "names being the same"  maybe send it to your wife/gf if you can't get it to go to your name...

Best of luck, Xoom is good for the price but sometimes can be a bit of a pain to work with, once you get it to work the first time the next times should be quick and painless.

You'd think sending it to yourself would make it easier but I could see them rejecting it for "names being the same"  maybe send it to your wife/gf if you can't get it to go to your name...

Now that is a good suggestion.  I do trust the hotel manager where I stay in Cebu, but not any girls that I know.  So, I will have a talk with her to see how that would work.  If I am sending close to $3,000 USD, would any local branch actually have the money to redeem my transaction?  Or would I have to wait for days for them to recover it, etc, etc?  Again, I have to have the money in USD; absolutely not in pesos.  thanks again

That "fee" is not mentioned in the online estimate, so I wonder if this is just another bs fee that WU tacks on?  Or Is this fee/tax to be expected from all money transfer services?

Western Union started charging a fee for picking up money, oh, over the past couple of years, as I recall.

Xoom fecked me over several years ago when I attempted to send a small amount of money to myself, after having a problem with a Visa Debit card. read about it here: Xoom Complaints

----

A LOT of guys do this who live in country for long periods of time. That is, open a USD Savings Account. Write checks and deposit them into that account. Typically, the funds will clear within 15 to 20 days. It is a good way to guarantee you will have funds, when needed.

I am quite sure you could do similarly, and wire the funds directly into it as well.

Edited by Paul

Xoom fecked me over several years ago when I attempted to send a small amount of money to myself, after having a problem with a Visa Debit card. read about it here: Xoom Complaints

Don't you love how they cancel the transaction then ban you if you call them on it?  Same thing, I spent hours on the phone with them getting it sorted out, they're lucky they're the cheapest option or I dont think they'd still be around with that customer service.

• Like 1

Don't you love how they cancel the transaction then ban you if you call them on it?  Same thing, I spent hours on the phone with them getting it sorted out, they're lucky they're the cheapest option or I dont think they'd still be around with that customer service.

They are, by far, the most worthless beavers I have ever dealt with in my life, regarding sending funds to the Philippines. I hope and pray, one day, they go belly up and the assholes that screwed me that day, need funds sent to them when badly needed - but get screwed over.

Edited by Paul

PS  Pin numbers are encoded in the chip on the card and can only be reset when the card is presented.  I know of no service here in the PH that resets foreign pin numbers.

I have chips in all my cards and they can all be reset online...instant

i reset it, walk down to the ATM and it works?

PS  Pin numbers are encoded in the chip on the card and can only be reset when the card is presented.  I know of no service here in the PH that resets foreign pin numbers.

Sounds like he needs a new bank once he's in the position to do that.  Certainly seems like he's getting a circle jerk from them, unless they're a tiny local bank no reason for them to be this optionless, international travel is pretty common nowadays.

First off, I sent my wife money with xoom countless times they've never charged her to pick it up, I think WU was charging you a kano tax.  

You may have issues with your IP being here, if you have someone you trust in the states you may want them to send it from there, or use a proxy or vpn but they may pick up on that too, I don't know.

I am here on Fuente Osmenia, and would like to know where is the best place to pick up XOOM funds in USD without being charged a pickup fee?  From the XOOM site, I see that there are even banks like PNB where a person can pick up XOOM funds and they would be more likely to have USD on hand.  Please advise.  thanks

Buko Beach

To the OP, Paul, Throttleplate and Jason offered you some very good advice. Take it.

Alot of misinformation and wrong information posted by others. Alot of "I heard... I think... maybe if... this might work but I have never done it".

5000php max, umm no. Most Philippine ATM's have a max single withdrawl limit 15000php. HSBC has a higher single withdrawl limit, but that depends on what limits are placed on your account/card from your bank.

I assume the reference to 5000 PHP limit is from my post.  OK, come with me tomorrow and I'll demonstrate.  I got tired of walking from one ATM to another trying to get even 3000 PHP.  A trip to HSBC yielded 20,000 PHP and this was against MasterCard.

The reason (I assume) you can only withdraw max 3000php at a time is you have a low daily withdrawl limit pre-set by your bank or credit institution. Your problem is only limited to your card and not to others. Most of the ATM's in the Philippines will dispense up to a max 15000php at once (20000php with HSBC), so long as your withdrawl limit is set high enough on your card. My foreign bank card is set at a max $500USD per day withdrawl limit.

Just because you can only withdraw 3000php max at once doesn't mean everyone has to deal with a max 3000php limit.

Change your daily limit, geessuuss you must be drowning in bank fees.

To the OP, Paul, Throttleplate and Jason offered you some very good advice. Take it.

Alot of misinformation and wrong information posted by others. Alot of "I heard... I think... maybe if... this might work but I have never done it".

5000php max, umm no. Most Philippine ATM's have a max single withdrawl limit 15000php. HSBC has a higher single withdrawl limit, but that depends on what limits are placed on your account/card from your bank.

I assume the reference to 5000 PHP limit is from my post.  OK, come with me tomorrow and I'll demonstrate.  I got tired of walking from one ATM to another trying to get even 3000 PHP.  A trip to HSBC yielded 20,000 PHP and this was against MasterCard.

The reason (I assume) you can only withdraw max 3000php at a time is you have a low daily withdrawl limit pre-set by your bank or credit institution. Your problem is only limited to your card and not to others. Most of the ATM's in the Philippines will dispense up to a max 15000php at once (20000php with HSBC), so long as your withdrawl limit is set high enough on your card. My foreign bank card is set at a max $500USD per day withdrawl limit.

Just because you can only withdraw 3000php max at once doesn't mean everyone has to deal with a max 3000php limit.

Change your daily limit, geessuuss you must be drowning in bank fees.

I admit this was over three years ago and the limits may have changed since then.  Using my credit card for cash advances was then a temporary, interrim measure.  I now have a BPI account in the UK and everything is done on-line.

Sounds like he needs a new bank once he's in the position to do that.  Certainly seems like he's getting a circle jerk from them, unless they're a tiny local bank no reason for them to be this optionless, international travel is pretty common nowadays.

No tiny local bank but NatWest (RBS) MasterCard.  I had a long telephone conversation with them when I inadvertently exceeded the number of incorrect pin attempts with my card.  The pin number is encoded in the chip and the only way for it to be reset is to do so at an ATM equipped accordingly.  (All UK NatWest ATMs are capable of this apparently but not so in the PH.)  Yes, MasterCard knew my card was blocked but could not help me out while I was in the PH.  The solution?  I had a replacement card issued.

There are two slightly different situations here.  My problems was that my card was blocked, by the chip.  To unblock it apparently the procedure was to advise NatWest that I wished to do so and they would arrange a three-day window in which I could do it at any NatWest ATM in the UK.  The other situation is to change the pin which may be done at any time without first warning the bank.  I don't know whether that would work here, I have never tried but I doubt it.

This is the first time I have heard of a bank offering to change card-encoded pin numbers on-line.  Contango, if it's not confidential, which bank(s) is this, local or foreign?