• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kreole

• Paul

• Dolsos

• GoHuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

all members coming to the ph for the first time let this be a lesson.Always come with 2 of each,ATM and CREDIT cards from different banks to cover these situations and be sure and double check with yo

I learned that one the hard way last year after having my pocket picked... now i have 2 Debit cards for the account , one stays in a safe place, tied to my travel account.. I only transfer enough into

They should be able to reset you pin have them fed ex it to you.  Or call them see if they can do it by phone

Scottiev

I learned that one the hard way last year after having my pocket picked... now i have 2 Debit cards for the account , one stays in a safe place, tied to my travel account.. I only transfer enough into that account to cover withdrawls + a few thousand pesos "buffer" in case i cant get online.. I also have about $500 US stashed away with the  extra debit card , you can always find a money exchanger no matter where you are...I also got a ID card from my local DMV so dont have to carry my drivers licence ...

I was lucky enough last year to be able to Western Union myself $ online.. that doesnt always work..It made me more aware i needed a better "oh Shit" plan lol

• Like 2

So are we referring to both credit and debit cards or just debit cards?

I haven't used a proper credit card in more than a decade. I only use Visa debit cards.

all members coming to the ph for the first time let this be a lesson.Always come with 2 of each,ATM and CREDIT cards from different banks to cover these situations and be sure and double check with your bank before you leave the states that they know you will be in the ph using the cards.

I think I originally let my credit union know I was going abroad, prior to moving to the Philippines (very early 2,000s). Since then, I have been in at least seven countries where I have used cards from the same institution. I have never notified them since then, when going to another country. The card has worked every time, in every country I have been in. So far, so good.

I also got a ID card from my local DMV so dont have to carry my drivers licence ...

I have found a number of countries that require that you carry your passport on your person. So, please do not think an id card will be accepted as "valid id", if in a foreign country.

JasonEcos

Have you called your bank and asked them if there is a problem with your card? Because I notified my bank I was moving here, and lived here for about a year, often using the debit card then one day the card stopped working. I called them and found out they put a stop in the card because it was being used outside of the US. (duh). I explained the situation, they got the card working again in a minute or two.

Also you can have your daily limits raised. I don't recall what my daily limit is but I know its above $750 with my Visa debit. Just call them to have it raised.

As for fees, even if you do not pay an atm fee, keep in mind you are paying a foreign currency exchange fee and that can vary from bank to bank....and it can add up.

Buko Beach

To the OP, Paul, Throttleplate and Jason offered you some very good advice. Take it.

Alot of misinformation and wrong information posted by others. Alot of "I heard... I think... maybe if... this might work but I have never done it".

5000php max, umm no. Most Philippine ATM's have a max single withdrawl limit 15000php. HSBC has a higher single withdrawl limit, but that depends on what limits are placed on your account/card from your bank.

Unnecessary fees are rife using an international atm card here. Both ends take a nice little chunk for themselves.

HUMM, i used HSBC and never been charged a FEE using my bank atm card,

yes the others do charge a FEE but that is a standard practice now.

Doesn't really count as an international bank in this case if they have branches in the Philippines.  Unfortunately, my banks don't have branches here and they charge international withdrawal fees. That's where local bank accounts are useful.

Scottiev

I also got a ID card from my local DMV so dont have to carry my drivers licence ...

I have found a number of countries that require that you carry your passport on your person. So, please do not think an id card will be accepted as "valid id", if in a foreign country.

Yep i know about that too..here i just carry a photocopy of my passports main pages and the page with the last visa stamp , i understand that this wont work in other countries( be sure to research each countries regulations before going) but here unless its the BI its worked just fine..I also have an International Drivers licence from AAA.. not worth much really but works as a second or third ID and sure puzzles the traffic cops hahahhaha

Yeah, in the "Peens", a photo copy of your passport ID page will serve as valid id! Amazing. :)

Scottiev

Found out I an  dead ringer for Manuel Roxas also !!!  Never seem to get that "ID" back tho hmmmmm

I called the account representative of my credit union.  At this point, the pin cannot be reset, so we are exploring the option of bank to bank transfer of funds.  I do have an account at Allied/PNB but it is not clear whether I can transfer money into it from my bank.  My US bank says that there is no direct way and that the transfer probably has to go through an intermediary, maybe Chase Manhattan.  However, it is unknown what will be fees that Chase charges, which, knowing the big banks, can be substantial.  For example, my bank charges $15 US to transfer out, and Allied charges $10 US to receive the money into my account.  That would be acceptable.

It has been suggested that I have the money sent to me via Western Union or similar service.  I checked WU online to get an "estimate" for the amount of $5,000.  The fee is estimated at $75 US (in the neighborhood of .015% but that is no guarantee).  So I went to WU here in Fuente Osmenia to inquire.  The cashier there told me that the $75 was only the fee for sending, not receiving,  and that WU Philippines charges a 350 pesos fee (tax?) for me to pick up the money.  It seems strange to me there is a fee to collect my money.  That "fee" is not mentioned in the online estimate, so I wonder if this is just another bs fee that WU tacks on?  Or Is this fee/tax to be expected from all money transfer services?

To the OP, Paul, Throttleplate and Jason offered you some very good advice. Take it.

Alot of misinformation and wrong information posted by others. Alot of "I heard... I think... maybe if... this might work but I have never done it".

5000php max, umm no. Most Philippine ATM's have a max single withdrawl limit 15000php. HSBC has a higher single withdrawl limit, but that depends on what limits are placed on your account/card from your bank.

I assume the reference to 5000 PHP limit is from my post.  OK, come with me tomorrow and I'll demonstrate.  I got tired of walking from one ATM to another trying to get even 3000 PHP.  A trip to HSBC yielded 20,000 PHP and this was against MasterCard.

My US bank says that there is no direct way and that the transfer probably has to go through an intermediary, maybe Chase Manhattan.  However, it is unknown what will be fees that Chase charges, which, knowing the big banks, can be substantial.

They're calling themselves JP Morgan Chase since 2000 and they are among the worst for international fees, as is Western Union. If you have a local bank account you can use xoom or another service to transfer funds from the US bank to the local one. 

RogerDuMond

Most Philippine ATM's have a max single withdrawl limit 15000php. HSBC has a higher single withdrawl limit, but that depends on what limits are placed on your account/card from your bank.

Many of the ATMs in Balamban have a single withdrawal limit of 10,000 pesos HSBC's single withdrawal limit is 40,000 pesos of course the only HSBC branch on Cebu is in Cebu City.