New Member Philippines Retiree In Training

Camotesguy

Hello, My Name is Jimmy

I am like most newbies here. I have been reading here for more than a year now. Aswell as many ummm other  sites..Naming is not necessary. This forum as Paul has stated is the only one that seem unbiased. I Have read so much content here, I feel as though I know alot of the members already.

Without Posting my life story here, I will state how I get to this point in reading a forum about life ,love and living in the Philippines. Im engaged to my filipina, who is from Comotes Island. We are in the K1 Vise process now. I will be back to Cebu in June for 21 days after we complete her interview in Manila.

I do want to seek some advice and opinions on retiring to the Philippines. Im 48 and and hoping to have my ducks in a row to retire @ 55. I look forward to posting here and getting some feedback..

Have a Great day.

Jimmy   

CardiacKid

:welcome2:   Welcome to the Forums Jimmy. Ask any questions you feel like. As soon as we sober up we'll try to answer. 

welcome to the forum jimmy

As soon as we sober up we'll try to answer.

since when is being sober a prerequisite around here :)

• Like 1

I do want to seek some advice and opinions on retiring to the Philippines. Im 48 and and hoping to have my ducks in a row to retire @ 55. I look forward to posting here and getting some feedback..

Have a Great day.

Jimmy

~

Hey Jimmy

Basically you need to make sure you have enough money to survive (adequate for your desired lifestyle) and that, that income is retirement proof.

______

Personally im planning on a retirement in 2 or 3 years...at 52/3 maybe 4

Edited by Contango
  • Like 1
Headshot

Jimmy, welcome to the forums. Good luck with the visa, your upcoming marriage and your retirement plans. As I do with everyone considering retiring here, I will tell you that you should spend as much time here between now and then as you can, so that you have some idea whether or not you can stand this place over time. Some can and some can't. After you already own property here is NOT a good time to figure out that this this ISN'T your dream life. So...take your time and make plans...but don't box yourself in until you are absolutely sure this is where you want to be.

The Camotes are beautiful, but they are seriously lacking in services. If you get seriously ill, then you may not make it to the hospital. If you have children when you are ready to retire, then you need to consider the availability of good schools. The other thing you should consider is that a bit of distance between you and relatives (as in being far enough away to require at least a couple of hours to get there) can mean the difference between loving them or hating them...so, if you decide to retire here,  choose wisely when you decide where to live.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Good luck with the visa and your upcoming marriage and retirement plans.

LBL welcome to the forums

R

Thanks Every one....

@Headshot...Thanks for the Words of wisdom.  As I stated in my first post I have been reading this forum for some time. But the repetition of questions from us newbies is unbelievable hahaha. I would also like to applaud the long time members and mods for the help. Your patients is greater then my own that is for sure...

That siad I will be back @ least once a year if not more. These will be for visits and scouting missions with my soon to be wife. We have discussed our childrens future also in this. We both feel  our ability to instill our values to our children best done here in the Philippines.

She is Not keen to live in the States. But I want to give her the options later in life of the states and to be a dual citizen. I Know many say "Dont do it" if someone must limit them selfs to eviroment for their realationship to survive...well to each his own. You will not find me here 3 years from now trashing my culture and Filipina for changes in her...That will be my cross to bear... ooops Thats enough off topic for Intro thread...

Thanks again all for the welcome

Jimmy

CardiacKid

She is Not keen to live in the States. But I want to give her the options later in life of the states and to be a dual citizen. I Know many say "Dont do it" if someone must limit them selfs to eviroment for their realationship to survive...well to each his own. You will not find me here 3 years from now trashing my culture and Filipina for changes in her...That will be my cross to bear...

Kudos to you for thinking long term of the welfare of your wife. After five years in the States she can draw Social Security at the appropriate age whether she works or not. It might be just the fear of the unknown that is influencing her now. 

Hey Jimmy,

Good luck on your K-1

Ask your fiancee if shes knows and bonhoc's in Camote,lots in San Isidio, San Fran.My wifes mother is from there and we have a resort there .

Regards 

George

Hey Jimmy,

Good luck on your K-1

Ask your fiancee if shes knows and bonhoc's in Camote,lots in San Isidio, San Fran.My wifes mother is from there and we have a resort there .

Regards 

George

Hi George,

I will ask her, she is from Alta Vista straight up the hill from Poro. We did spend her Birthday last year @ Santiago Bay Garden  just south of San Fran. We had the whole Clan out there.Was shock when playing around in the water with sisters,cousin and her to the loud screams of "I doun swem"...hahaha. How can you live on and Island and not know how to swim hmmmm. Anyway I can tell you her family name is Rosal and mothers side is Castro.

Maybe we can have a beer when I get back in June.

Take Care

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

You're 48 now and intend to retire at 55, so you have 7 years to plan.  Might be worth taking a couple of years to tour around while on vacation and see where you might want to settle.  Then you have 5 years to get those ducks aligned ready for retirement.

One of the dangers of retiring here (or anywhere come to that) is boredom.  So if you have hobbies make sure you can pursue them where you chose to live.  It would be great if you could start building a house or start a business (if that's what you want) during those 5 years but I would advise against it; if you are absent, you will be cheated - yes, I'm sorry to say, even by family.  This does not prevent you however from buying a lot (through your wife), opening a bank account, preparing those papers necessary for a residence visa, etc.  Doesn't take five years but at least you'll hit the ground running when you finally retire.

Welcome.  I'm new to the forum as well but have followed it off and on for many years. It gets a bit raucous at times but everyone seems eager to help and quite open when relating their experiences.