Sign in to follow this  
msmith524

Speaking English

slick

Knew a fella from Japan a while back. Said he was about to move to the U.S.A....

On the subject of being understood by Americans, he replied... "My english speech and comprehension is excellent and I will have no trouble at all!"

Met him some years later and I asked him how he went in the U.S.A.?

He replied that he had trouble at first but he quickly adapted and said "My engrish much more betterer now and everybody rilly understood my talking!"

Living in Cambridge UK, educated foreigners are ten a penny here. However, the largest English language school for foreigners still uses "Engrish" as a meta-tag for search engines to find them.

I would recommend the experience of communicating socially with someone face to face with a 100% language barrier. It is incredible how imaginative two people who wish to communicate can actually be.

Wait a min, He might have been from Durham come to think of it..  :) Just kidding.  

Thelandofku-an!

Although English is also my native tongue, I feign another language on journeys if my western co-passenger happens to sound like an A****** who might spoil my trip!

This enables me to have a pleasant flight or sail without some obese Neanderthal sex tourist spoiling my day.

One has to be careful not to choose a tongue they can understand.

Thus far I have received replies such as F****** Kraut, Swiss B******, S***** Filipino etc, etc...

If in doubt about which language to address them in I choose Welsh to F*** them over, hehehe!

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
  • Like 3

passingby

As for the foreigh language bit as above- a friend who worked as a missionary in Laos for years pre 1970's with his family and all spoke fluent Lao.  In traveling they if thought would be hassled by some vendors and all would switch from Canadian English to Lao and it really blew the minds the those wanting to sell things.  I speak pretty good Thai and will answer in Thai if asked something by someone I do not want to talk to - have some fun.  BUT good to be fluent in several languages like fil-glish, australian english, british english, etc.

• Like 1

Thelandofku-an!

As for the foreigh language bit as above- a friend who worked as a missionary in Laos for years pre 1970's with his family and all spoke fluent Lao.  In traveling they if thought would be hassled by some vendors and all would switch from Canadian English to Lao and it really blew the minds the those wanting to sell things.  I speak pretty good Thai and will answer in Thai if asked something by someone I do not want to talk to - have some fun.  BUT good to be fluent in several languages like fil-glish, australian english, british english, etc.

I admit to having wanted to use the late Benny Hill's Pidgin Chinese Patois but lacked the courage to try it with a straight face!

Edited by Thelandofku-an!

broden

one of the things i love about my wife is that she has mastery of many tongues 

tomaw

I think it has more to do with motivation than where they learn English. My wife, her sisters and all her female friends speak fluent English and only wen't to public high school. The Filioino friends and family members spoke rather broken English if at all. I think the chance of meeting us Prince Charming expats might have had something to do with it.

ozboy

Alot of people who have learnt to speak english can carry on a conversation pretty well as long as you speak clearly n slowly n don't mix alot of slang up with it...n race along at 100km a min...

Brucewayne

Alot of people who have learnt to speak english can carry on a conversation pretty well as long as you speak clearly n slowly n don't mix alot of slang up with it...n race along at 100km a min...

I can't speak slowly, I've tried and it just isn't the same.

Thelandofku-an!

ozboy, on 01 Mar 2013 - 04:15, said:Alot of people who have learnt to speak english can carry on a conversation pretty well as long as you speak clearly n slowly n don't mix alot of slang up with it...n race along at 100km a min... I can't speak slowly, I've tried and it just isn't the same.

I didn't know you two were friends who met personally, wink,wink!  :sarcasm:

Brucewayne

I didn't know you two were friends who met personally, wink,wink!  :sarcasm:

You don't know a lot of things, lol.

• Like 2

Knowdafish

As a "university town" the amount of English spoken in Dumaguete is greater than a lot of the other cities in the Philippines I have been in. While quit a few are shy to speak it, they can usually understand English good enough for you to get your point across - usually, but not always.