Speaking English

SkyMan

Seriously though. English could certainly be improved a lot. Not the extent of txt shortcuts but why all the silent letters? What use are they? How many theres and yours do we need? Why do we need 26 letters? C, Q, Z why?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KID

• Wombat No More

• Thelandofku-an

• jtmwatchbiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spanish!

You will need to adjust your ears to understand the accent here. Here's a short tutorial.

Nope. This is, by far, the best forum you can find online, for information about the Philippines. Some of the members, though, are on release from the local mental institutions. They have to be back b

Posted Images

Thelandofku-an

cebubird, on 23 Feb 2013 - 17:08, said:Then there are the "invented" words. How did HORRIBLE become "horrific"?--and on and on and on.

Probably much the same as Shakespeares "fashionable" and "cheap" in daily use since he coined them...

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Read through the thread in, American, English, and Aussie.  Sounds like 5th grade to me.  Sorry.

Can I please buy a pronoun ??

much like the olympics we accept pro's but prefer amateurs 

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Hardly anyone here speaks English, they speak a variant called American English.  It's very widely understood, and quite widely spoken.

Any area that has a high level of University students, and/or a lot of call centres that serve USA/EU businesses will have a high level of American English language skills.

I was hoping for an answer to the question posed in my o.p. Ha, guess I chose the wrong forum.

I think you will find its not so much an area, but the background of individual people. Since you will find more true international schools in Metro Manila than anywhere else, you will likely find more people with higher English skills than anywhere else here. Of course you could say there are more people in that region so naturally there are more people with higher English skills.

Those who were educated at international schools with true native English speakers teaching English will speak with a Midwestern American kind of inflection. A LOT of the kids running around here where I live speak this way.  I notice a lot of families speak exclusively English when they are out for dinner etc, so perhaps they speak English at home as well. Most kids who go to that type of school come from pretty wealthy parents. Most but not all. So it could be safe to say there is a correlation to family wealth an quality of language skills. Since the earlier language is introduced to a person the more chance they have to perfect the minor nuances of pronunciation and inflection.

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1
POTATOMAN

Hardly anyone here speaks English, they speak a variant called American English.  It's very widely understood, and quite widely spoken.

Any area that has a high level of University students, and/or a lot of call centres that serve USA/EU businesses will have a high level of American English language skills.

I was hoping for an answer to the question posed in my o.p. Ha, guess I chose the wrong forum.

I think you will find its not so much an area, but the background of individual people. Since you will find more true international schools in Metro Manila than anywhere else, you will likely find more people with higher English skills than anywhere else here. Of course you could say there are more people in that region so naturally there are more people with higher English skills.

Those who were educated at international schools with true native English speakers teaching English will speak with a Midwestern American kind of inflection. A LOT of the kids running around here where I live speak this way.  I notice a lot of families speak exclusively English when they are out for dinner etc, so perhaps they speak English at home as well. Most kids who go to that type of school come from pretty wealthy parents. Most but not all. So it could be safe to say there is a correlation to family wealth an quality of language skills. Since the earlier language is introduced to a person the more chance they have to perfect the minor nuances of pronunciation and inflection.

so what you are saying is that it's the fault of all your mexican nannies that you cannot speak english propper lol

• Like 1
lazydays

My Father in law back in the PH boondocks speaks no english at all, and both adult Bro in laws really struggle to comunicate with me.

Same for me. Dear old Ma & Pa (Pa just passed at 92) plus the son, spoke/speak zero english whatever. The old folk didn't even understand "ok" when I first used it. The 3 daughters however, (one being my asawa) speak excellent english...

Yeah it's kind of funny, my wife and both her sisters speak good english, but the girls went to college/uni, the boys only went to vocational college.

• Like 1
lazydays

I dunno wat u all goin on about, i speak d'good english lingo. Anyways i'm of t'market t'spend a score. :lol:  

Wombat No More

Knew a fella from Japan a while back. Said he was about to move to the U.S.A....

On the subject of being understood by Americans, he replied... "My english speech and comprehension is excellent and I will have no trouble at all!"

Met him some years later and I asked him how he went in the U.S.A.?

He replied that he had trouble at first but he quickly adapted and said "My engrish much more betterer now and everybody rilly understood my talking!"

Why aye man you just hav ta tark proper like they do in the toon ya naw.

( yes you do have to talk good English the same as they talk in Newcastle)

thebob

One thing that I have noticed, is that many "tourists" slip into a kind of "Tarzan English", in the mistaken belief that this kind of pidgin will be more easily understood. What then happens is that the the listener assumes that the speaker is of non native fluency and also reverts to a similar vernacular. Needless to say, communication suffers.

Whichever of the various "Englishes" you speak is far more likely to be comprehensible here, than some strange constructed patois . Listening skills are always far in advance of spoken skills, so attempting to "dumb down" your language is a misguided strategy.

Some people are naturally good communicators, others find language difficult. If English is your only language, you will have more problems communicating with people who speak English as a second language, than those who have managed to grasp another language.

• Like 2
Brucewayne

seriously????  Well the only people here in the states opening and closing the light switch are Filipinos :)

This coming from someone who can't even spell Tire or mom  correctly-- Back to your cave Phil !!!

Phil speaks English and can even spell it, but it is English that most people gave up on over a hundred years ago.

Wombat No More

Phil speaks English and can even spell it, but it is English that most people gave up on over a hundred years ago.

You are mistaken Sir. I speak the Queen's english, with an Aussie twang and inflection. You Sir, speak something else entirely, hmm.

Brucewayne

You are mistaken Sir. I speak the Queen's english, with an Aussie twang and inflection. You Sir, speak something else entirely, hmm.

The Queen you speak of died nearly 60 years ago, sorry to say old friend.

There are many advantages to speaking English.

Two thirds of all scientific papers are written in English.

It is the main, or second language in more countries than any other language.

It is universal on airlines, shipping, and (almost) in computing.

It has a far simpler structure than many other languages and despite the odd spellings one can find, it is easier to make oneself understood than are many other languages.

One of the advantages of English is that there are synonyms for almost everything.

Thus one can rise or ascend, for example.

That does, or should, help us (native English speakers) when conversing.

If someone doesnt understand, we can (or should) re-phrase the statement / question, so that the listener can understand.

Nevertheless, it is a good idea to learn at least the basics of the language of the area in which one lives.

At the very least, you will then know when you are bing insulted!