Top Posters In This Topic

• KID

• Wombat No More

• Thelandofku-an

• jtmwatchbiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spanish!

You will need to adjust your ears to understand the accent here. Here's a short tutorial.

Nope. This is, by far, the best forum you can find online, for information about the Philippines. Some of the members, though, are on release from the local mental institutions. They have to be back b

Posted Images

jtmwatchbiz

The best translator was Mrs. Cleaver (Barbra Bilingsly) in the movie Airplane.

mrs. cleaver...now there was a hottie back in the day! you just know her and ward used to get down and dirty after wally and beaver's bedtime :)

I Think someone might be digging up long lost memories of his--callused hands :)

nah not for mrs. cleaver.

now if you were talkin marcia brady...oh baby i was good for 2 or 3 per episode :)

Elly Mae Clampett

Elly-May1.jpg

Now I bet she could teach a few people proper English :)

yea forgot about her.  i remember squeezin off a few times while watchin her in the ceement pond :)

• Like 1
lazydays

Philippines is definitely the best English speaking country in Asia.

Wrong, Singapore is the best English speaking country in Asia :)

Ok together wwith the Philippines they are definitely the best :)

• Like 1
udonthani

>Philippines is definitely the best English speaking country in Asia.

true Singapore the standard is much better it's what happens when a country actually invests in an education system, and even Malaysia is pretty much the same as the Philippines. In the provinces you might struggle to find a Malaysian that speaks good English, but you can say that about the Philippines too. In fact some years ago, there was a big news story reported in the Inquirer or somewhere that was this big shock horror and said Malaysian high school graduates were now more competent in English than Filipinos.

• Like 1
lazydays

My Father in law back in the PH boondocks speaks no english at all, and both adult Bro in laws really struggle to comunicate with me.

CardiacKid

English proficiency in this country has been declining for years. 

udonthani

it has but the OFW thing does make it better than it would otherwise would be. Almost all the OFW's are speaking English every day, if they are not in an English speaking country they will be using it as a lingua franca and work language. English skills are just like much other Filipino skills. Most of the enhancement of the skill base, is happening outside the country. The best English speaker in the family is likely to be the OFW that has returned for a month or so, and who while they've been away, unlike everybody else, has been speaking in English regularly.

Wombat No More

My Father in law back in the PH boondocks speaks no english at all, and both adult Bro in laws really struggle to comunicate with me.

Same for me. Dear old Ma & Pa (Pa just passed at 92) plus the son, spoke/speak zero english whatever. The old folk didn't even understand "ok" when I first used it. The 3 daughters however, (one being my asawa) speak excellent english...

• Like 1
battleborn

Read through the thread in, American, English, and Aussie.  Sounds like 5th grade to me.  Sorry.

Davaoeno

Read through the thread in, American, English, and Aussie.  Sounds like 5th grade to me.  Sorry.

Can I please buy a pronoun ??

• Like 3
Thelandofku-an

Since the topic is English usage I believe you mean "looks like 5th grade to me; sorry."

• Like 3
SkyMan

English usage has always been very fluid

Like "texting" an unrecognized verb created from a noun; the Filipino often adds "ing" or "ies" to clarify an object or action and we understand them perfectly even we have not read or learnt this in school (since we are mostly old school here)!

This actually comes from the Cebuano language which allows the verbalization of nouns. "Magfooda ka ba?" is an acceptable Cebuano sentence meaning 'Are you going to Fooda?'

By the way, China has more English speaking subjects than the USA. Now that is a scary thought.

But that's because the US doesn't have any subjects. We have guns, remember?

Then there are the "invented" words. How did HORRIBLE become "horrific"?--and on and on and on.

My dictionary said the first known use of horrific was in 1653 so you'd have to ask one of our older members. Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 3