Speaking English

Thelandofku-an

although subtlety is not really a Celtic trait.

Nor some Britons either, I'm one of em!

• Like 1
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KID

• Wombat No More

• Thelandofku-an

• jtmwatchbiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spanish!

You will need to adjust your ears to understand the accent here. Here's a short tutorial.

Nope. This is, by far, the best forum you can find online, for information about the Philippines. Some of the members, though, are on release from the local mental institutions. They have to be back b

Posted Images

Thelandofku-an

English usage has always been very fluid

Like "texting" an unrecognized verb created from a noun; the Filipino often adds "ing" or "ies" to clarify an object or action and we understand them perfectly even we have not read or learnt this in school (since we are mostly old school here)!

Wombat No More

Stop living up to your name? That post above is one dumb post to read with no basis for any of the comments.

Bring  it to the basement-- ya wanna play-- lets go

I was trying to discuss this above ground, but you obviously are not mature enough to handle a discussion without insults !!

If I'm not there, please start without me. I got better things to do than brandish plastic swords with children

So basically your hate for Americans stems from the fact that young Ozzie's want to be like Americans !!!

They look at their parents generation and think, like ALL adolescents, we don't want to be like them!  It's a normal thought process for teenagers. 

true--- Even American teenagers do the same, just look at "gang-man style"-- stupid in my opinion but the American teenagers sent him to stardom here in the states-- But I don't blame the Koreans for their way of thinking-- I blame the parents

As soon as I showed my children the remarks that he made against the U.S.-- they didn't think he was so cool anymore-- Apology not accepted

Edited by KID

Stop living up to your name? That post above is one dumb post to read with no basis for any of the comments.

Bring  it to the basement-- ya wanna play-- lets go

I was trying to discuss this above ground, but you obviously are not mature enough to handle a discussion without insults !!

If I'm not there, please start without me. I got better things to do than brandish plastic swords with children

Again with the insults???

tisk tisk

This thread has the distinct honor of being the first thread that is "at risk" of closure, with members being banned. (A new mod we just purchased and installed on the site, letting members know of the thread's status.)

I have made myself very clear regarding you folks posting your games upstairs.

Obviously, not listening in a trait amongst some here. Well, it won't matter much if you get banned.

I will NOT warn again.

Edited by Paul
cebubird

Wow! Being under "special surveillance"-that is reall-well Special. I was a very special-albeit clandestine "surveiller" in the military.

One thing that does annoy me here is writers in newspapers butchering words in English, however seems that is true in US and I'm sure in other English speaking countries, as well.

Seems when I went to school(back in simpler times)grammar, both in written and spoken form was taught with basic rules that couldn't be deviated from.

Recently I was reading a column by a sports writer in the Sunstar and my eyes glazed over from his constant usage of-him/her

he/she in his column.

Again, back in simpler times it was ALWAYS proper to use the masculine form when the gender was unknown or not specified.

We didn't have "chairpersons", we had a CHAIRMAN, and it was either Mr. Chairman or Madame Chairman.

We even had MANKIND"--I sure am glad Neil Armstrong said "One giant leap for mankind", and NOT humankind.

Several of the posters are indeed correct, there is, I believe a "dumbing down" all over the world as far as English is concerned.

Then there are the "invented" words. How did HORRIBLE become "horrific"?--and on and on and on.

Ahhh, I am just a simple man from a simple time caught in a time warp.

"Surveill" on oh Leader.

• Like 1

As another poster stated B 4

It won't B long until U start C'ing text slang B da norm

Have a Gr8 day

Edited by KID

I know a translator if you need one.

:biggrin_01:

I think the correct and sensible answer has already been given to the originator of this thread, and I would tend to agree, tourist regions followed by major cities will have plenty good English speaking populous.   

By the way, China has more English speaking subjects than the USA.  Now that is a scary thought.

Slick

I know a translator if you need one.

:biggrin_01:

I think the correct and sensible answer has already been given to the originator of this thread, and I would tend to agree, tourist regions followed by major cities will have plenty good English speaking populous.   

By the way, China has more English speaking subjects than the USA.  Now that is a scary thought.

Slick

The best translator was Mrs. Cleaver (Barbra Bilingsly) in the movie Airplane.

jtmwatchbiz

mrs. cleaver...now there was a hottie back in the day! you just know her and ward used to get down and dirty after wally and beaver's bedtime :)  

mrs. cleaver...now there was a hottie back in the day! you just know her and ward used to get down and dirty after wally and beaver's bedtime :)

I Think someone might be digging up long lost memories of his--callused hands :)

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

I Think someone might be digging up long lost memories of his--callused hands :)

nah not for mrs. cleaver.

now if you were talkin marcia brady...oh baby i was good for 2 or 3 per episode :)

post-4506-0-35021500-1361640734_thumb.jpg

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
  • Like 1

nah not for mrs. cleaver.

now if you were talkin marcia brady...oh baby i was good for 2 or 3 per episode :)

Elly Mae Clampett

Elly-May1.jpg

Now I bet she could teach a few people proper English :)

• Like 1