Speaking English

Irenicus

Ian, you can lay off the sarcasm. That's not going to work upstairs anymore, either.

So because I posted how much I liked what Phil did with Wombats [ which is true, you can ask Guenther who went there with me  if you doubt me !! ] you  ban me ???    There is obviously no pleasing you !!   If I attack Phil you threaten to ban me. If i say something nice about Phils building you ban me .  

Like Butters in South Park became the Ungroundable, I think you might have become the LinC Unbannable.

(I'm new, but been watching for quite a while.)

post-14529-0-96133100-1361572085_thumb.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KID

• Wombat No More

• Thelandofku-an

• jtmwatchbiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spanish!

You will need to adjust your ears to understand the accent here. Here's a short tutorial.

Nope. This is, by far, the best forum you can find online, for information about the Philippines. Some of the members, though, are on release from the local mental institutions. They have to be back b

Posted Images

SkyMan

I see no reason to follow the bastardisation of a language as in the U.S.

Wait a minute.  An Aussie said this?  Phil, there are volumes on how to speak Australian.  Surely you don't think your language would be easily understood in England do you?
SkyMan

Johnson spelling choices were decidedly, uum, more French.

Yes, damn straight.  When I see the differences, at least in spelling between American and English I generally think "Ewwwwww, that's so french, how disgusting.  Why would anyone want to go along with that mess?"

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Thelandofku-an

You will need to adjust your ears to understand the accent here. Here's a short tutorial.

Great video, looks like you sans hair?

• Like 1

The French have L'Académie française, an institution that decides on all matters of the French language. But they can only legislate on goverment and educational policy/usage.

Grammar is no longer taught in the US or UK or elsewhere in the English native-speaking world. The tugging back on popular usage has retreat to the tallest of ivory towers. It is all but irrelevant. (Learning a foreign language makes grammar inescapable, though) These days it's a slippery slope, with changes in sanctioned usage based on common errors. Examples: How many people here would say I "dove" into the swimming pool yesterday? Once wrong, now gaining acceptance. How many here would say Yesterday I "laid" on the beach. Still wrong, but don't fret; some of us will live long enough to see otherwise.

Opening and closing a light is the Filipino spin on English. As English becomes more global this sort of thing will happen. And the fact is, English usage has always been very fluid, even in countries of native speakers--and especially these days.

Bon weekend!

Edited by scoander
  • Like 2
Thelandofku-an

The United Kingdom identity has become so diluted, it's hard to put a finger on what an English person looks and sounds like anymore.

I think the Philippine people may be experiencing much the same!

• Like 1

The United Kingdom identity has become so diluted, it's hard to put a finger on what an English person looks and sounds like anymore.

And it's worked wonders for the cuisine, hasn't it?

• Like 1
Wombat No More

I see no reason to follow the bastardisation of a language as in the U.S.

Wait a minute.  An Aussie said this?  Phil, there are volumes on how to speak Australian.  Surely you don't think your language would be easily understood in England do you?

I don't know about volumes on how to speak Aussie. I've never come across one specifically for that and I read/read (reed/red) a lot. There are books on the colloquialisms and slangs and other sayings which I have but these aren't language tutorials.

All of our tutorials are english language tutorials and the bottom line is, they are english based in the original UK english standards that the UK also teaches students. We learn the exact same language, but as you are saying, we sound different and we flower the language.

This has it's roots in the mainly lower classes being transported as criminals well over a century and 2 centuries ago (most of them today would get a fine or community service for their evil deeds) and the very hard pioneering lifestyle and spirit that was forced on all, both transportees and the myriad of Govt. officials and merchants and landholders that came along also. A new language accent arose so that while keeping the basic slangs of the Mother Land, we added many of our own and developed our own way of saying them. 

But of course, you are right. An Aussie in full speech flight is difficult for any foreigner to understand, except a Kiwi, who are brothers anyway and speak the same basic accent with only a few acceptions,(like "Baaaaa). Aussie speech is difficult for most and I've always said that we are in a unique position, in that they can't understand a lot of what we say but we seem to have no trouble at all with understanding almost all others (yes, even the Scottish & Irish twangs).

But to sort of qualify where you are at, Aussie is but one basic accent, quickly understood once you are amongst it. However, how many different accents are there in existance in Great Britain? I read some many years ago that in England alone, there were some over 160 dialects, ie., different languages. When some of these people break into English speech, the result is something that has to be heard to believe that english could be like that. One could listen to it for years before glimmers of understanding would push through the fog of the noise. 

Unrelated, but somewhat related (?) is an experience in the 1970's I had. When attending a training course for a Govt. job in Oz, I came across a lady fellow trainee, who was an American, by her speech. I spoke to her quite a lot during the course and I eventually asked where in the States she came from. She said no, she was from England and she knew that her accent sounded U.S. but that was the accent from the area of England she came from, apparently a small area. Remembering of course, that out in the country, (I don't know about now?) a lot of folk didn't venture more than about 20 miles, from their village in their lifetime, which is something I have seen written a few times in past days. But, shocked the hell outa me that an American accent lived somewhere in country England and had obviously been around before that accent appeared in the U.S.

• Like 1
Skywalker

The funny part is that the English consider you just as much a foreigner as they do her.

Nearly right, a Scottish person in England will never let you forget that he is NOT English.  A subtle difference, although subtlety is not really a Celtic trait.

Historically the Scots may have good reasons to hate the English, but it was all done and dusted generations ago.  

• Like 2
Davaoeno

The funny part is that the English consider you just as much a foreigner as they do her.

Nearly right, a Scottish person in England will never let you forget that he is NOT English.  A subtle difference, although subtlety is not really a Celtic trait.

Historically the Scots may have good reasons to hate the English, but it was all done and dusted generations ago.  

did someone forget to tell the soccer hooligans ??

• Like 2

So basically your hate for Americans stems from the fact that young Ozzie's want to be like Americans !!!

And this is the Americans fault how??

maybe if your generation would have provided a country you children could admire--- they would not idolize Americans so much !!!

Wombat No More

Stop living up to your name? That post above is one dumb post to read with no basis for any of the comments.

Skywalker

So basically your hate for Americans stems from the fact that young Ozzie's want to be like Americans !!!

They look at their parents generation and think, like ALL adolescents, we don't want to be like them!  It's a normal thought process for teenagers. 

• Like 1

Stop living up to your name? That post above is one dumb post to read with no basis for any of the comments.

Bring  it to the basement-- ya wanna play-- lets go

I was trying to discuss this above ground, but you obviously are not mature enough to handle a discussion without insults !!

Thelandofku-an

And it's worked wonders for the cuisine, hasn't it?

Here too bro!

• Like 1