Sign in to follow this  
msmith524

Speaking English

udonthani

It looks entirely likely that a British actor, who played the great American President Lincoln, is going to get an Oscar  It's really quite a dull film, but probably worthy.

If you wish to see another film about Lincoln, which is about the years before he came President, and in my view is a much more entertaining piece, I highly recommend 'Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter'.

that movie is garbage. The best movie made about Lincoln by one of the greatest ever motion picture directors, John Ford. Called 'Young Mr Lincoln', Henry Fonda played the title role. The film is also only concerned with the earlier part of Lincoln's life.

enoonmai

that movie is garbage.

The scene with Tommy Lee Jones and S. Epatha Merkerson in bed was the jump the shark moment for me.

Wombat No More

I was hoping for an answer to the question posed in my o.p. Ha, guess I chose the wrong forum.

Nope. This is, by far, the best forum you can find online, for information about the Philippines. Some of the members, though, are on release from the local mental institutions. They have to be back by 5pm, though.

Ah, you've been spyin on me!

And I would have multiquoted this and the next couple of posts but the system won't let me and I've had to start over after trying.

Edited by Wombat No More

Wombat No More

I think the bottom line here is, if you want to live in a city where people speak "good" English, move to England.

I think that was probably true a generation ago.  When was the last time you were in an 'English' City?

Sadly Britain's crazy-stupid immigration rules have allowed in every johnnie foreigner (and their families) to the extent that in many inner City primary schools in London, English is not the majority first language anymore.

The United Kingdom identity has become so diluted, it's hard to put a finger on what an English person looks and sounds like anymore.

Yes, your right. But you could be talking of any one of our countries the way that immigration seems to be treated by Govts. in that it looks almost as if they let any bastard in. (Don't get upset you sensitive Yanks as it's how a lot of Aussies talk and doesn't mean these folks are actually bastards or bad in any way)

Although I think a couple of places have a head start in losing national identities etc, starting perhaps with the U.S.

Wombat No More

I could play Devils advocate and suggest to you, if you think the locals are poorly educated in English, then highly educated westerners would have no trouble learning Tagalog or Cebuano. Just a thought.

God forbid. Most foreigners would bitch and complain about it.

"Why, they speak English. Why should I have to learn Cebauno!?!"

Here's a crazy answer. How about - out of respect?

Forget the bit about respect by learning the language. Anyway, I already tried in 12 x 2 hour lessons with a professional language teacher and retained pretty much nothing at all except what they use a couple of types of words for and how they say a couple of things. Total bust and really showed up the memory damage I got 40 years ago.Most of the lessons were gone from my mind within a couple of weeks, even with the missus helping me. Anyway, you don't need anything but english here unless you want to know what they might be saying about you when they think you don't understand. 

Wombat No More

There was no standardized spelling in Great Britain until Samuel Johnson came along; in the United States, it was Noah Webster some years after Johnson. It wasn't so much that the US diverged from British spelling as it was that Webster nailed down spelling in the US some years after Johnson had in England. Johnson spelling choices were decidedly, uum, more French.

Yeah, no worries mate, but I think you seem to be falling for the same trap some others here have fallen into before, and continue to do so. That is, thinking I'm getting annoyed etc and am angrily retorting. Nothing could be further from the truth. I might sound a little serious, and particularly matter of fact sometimes, I know that, but I'm not wound up, it's virtually all tongue in the cheek and a laugh to me, no matter how serious it may sound. You'll now if I'm 'really' being serious when not skirting around the edge of sounding serious. I'll just say straight out (a spades a spade stuff).

Anyway, it's a bit of mutual fun digging on the subject your referring to, between myself and Kid. He's even thinking I'm getting wound up. Settle down you bastards. (A typical Aussie saying and not in the slightest meant as an insult, just to explain to a few Yanks here and elsewhere who seem to get annoyed at the so called 'language'. If they had a brain they'd be bloody dangerous)

• Like 2

jtmwatchbiz

(A typical Aussie saying and not in the slightest meant as an insult, just to explain to a few Yanks here and elsewhere who seem to get annoyed at the so called 'language'. If they had a brain they'd be bloody dangerous)

there is a message posted a few hours ago for you (and us) downstairs. perhaps you should read and heed before it's too late... 

• Like 2

Stone

If you walk around in Italy, Hungary or France you will notice less people speak English. You can ask for directions in English overthere, many will not be able to answer you.

In the Philippines on the other hand, almost everyone I approach and speak English with will answer me back in English.

Philippines is definitely the best English speaking country in Asia.

• Like 5

Davaoeno

(A typical Aussie saying and not in the slightest meant as an insult, just to explain to a few Yanks here and elsewhere who seem to get annoyed at the so called 'language'. If they had a brain they'd be bloody dangerous)

there is a message posted a few hours ago for you (and us) downstairs. perhaps you should read and heed before it's too late... 

You are right, Phil is a great guy and I for one would hate to see him get banned.   

• Like 1

mikejwoodnz

Aren't you guys forgetting that the Yobbo can't read your posts ?  :rofl:

Davaoeno

I really think we have been way too hard on Phil.  After all he has suffered so many misfortunes in the last few years, been terribly ripped off , had his wifes dream restaurant fail, had his health go  etc .  A man can only take so much. 

Paul

Ian, you can lay off the sarcasm. That's not going to work upstairs anymore, either.

slick

One that only a Brit will understand.

Sadly Britain's crazy-stupid immigration rules have allowed in every johnnie foreigner

I am from Scotland and my good lady is from Cebu. We met in England and have settled there. She arrived in England about 6 months before me.

​Every time we have an argument about foreigners she, reminds me that she has lived in "this country" longer than me.

Slick

Davaoeno

Ian, you can lay off the sarcasm. That's not going to work upstairs anymore, either.

So because I posted how much I liked what Phil did with Wombats [ which is true, you can ask Guenther who went there with me  if you doubt me !! ] you  ban me ???    There is obviously no pleasing you !!   If I attack Phil you threaten to ban me. If i say something nice about Phils building you ban me .  

Headshot

One that only a Brit will understand.

Sadly Britain's crazy-stupid immigration rules have allowed in every johnnie foreigner

I am from Scotland and my good lady is from Cebu. We met in England and have settled there. She arrived in England about 6 months before me.

​Every time we have an argument about foreigners she, reminds me that she has lived in "this country" longer than me.

Slick

The funny part is that the English consider you just as much a foreigner as they do her.