Sign in to follow this  
msmith524

Speaking English

slick

English is so out of d8t, lrn 2 txt.

Unfortunately the "Queens English" is being undermined by acceptable grammar downgrades in email, and erosion of entire words now replaced with cell phone text speak. Another generation will level the playing field.

I could play Devils advocate and suggest to you, if you think the locals are poorly educated in English, then highly educated westerners would have no trouble learning Tagalog or Cebuano. Just a thought.

Slick

Paul

I could play Devils advocate and suggest to you, if you think the locals are poorly educated in English, then highly educated westerners would have no trouble learning Tagalog or Cebuano. Just a thought.

God forbid. Most foreigners would bitch and complain about it.

"Why, they speak English. Why should I have to learn Cebauno!?!"

Here's a crazy answer. How about - out of respect?

• Like 5

KID

God forbid. Most foreigners would bitch and complain about it.

"Why, they speak English. Why should I have to learn Cebauno!?!"

Here's a crazy answer. How about - out of respect?

If your gonna live there-- you should try your best to learn the language !!

• Like 3

scoander

There is one area of earth that speaks a language called American english, simply coz they eliminated and changed english words to their own system, maybe started in revenge against the English troops that they had just thrashed the shitter out of? I see no reason to follow the bastardisation of a language as in the U.S.   oK, let's agree to disagree and move on to other controversies :)

There was no standardized spelling in Great Britain until Samuel Johnson came along; in the United States, it was Noah Webster some years after Johnson. It wasn't so much that the US diverged from British spelling as it was that Webster nailed down spelling in the US some years after Johnson had in England. Johnson spelling choices were decidedly, uum, more French.

Edited by scoander
  • Like 1

Paul

Well, people don't have to become fluent. But, it damned sure wouldn't hurt to learn a few basic sentences for communication. Filipinos would love it, even to hear a few words in Cebuano, from you.

It isn't that difficult.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

KennyF

the language of love

As in, it's well fxxxxd?

• Like 1

scoander

Well, people don't have to become fluent. But, it damned sure wouldn't hurt to learn a few basic sentences for communication. Filipinos would love it, even to hear a few words in Cebuano, from you.

It isn't that difficult.

Salamat, bossing!

• Like 1

KID

Salamat

On like my second day in manila-- I walked into a convenience store and bought a big bottle of beer to go with some roasted chicken-- when I paid the cashier told me salamat-- I thought  she was saying-- SLAM IT :)

• Like 3

KID

The problem That I had while trying to learn a language from the ex-wife is that she spoke a Tagalog/Cebuano/illicano mix

msmith524

Hardly anyone here speaks English, they speak a variant called American English.  It's very widely understood, and quite widely spoken.

Any area that has a high level of University students, and/or a lot of call centres that serve USA/EU businesses will have a high level of American English language skills.

I was hoping for an answer to the question posed in my o.p. Ha, guess I chose the wrong forum.

Skywalker

I was wondering if there are cities where most people speak good English

That was your original question, which I thought I answered when I mentioned Universities and call centres.

Perhaps English isn't your first language.

• Like 2

enoonmai

I was hoping for an answer to the question posed in my o.p. Ha, guess I chose the wrong forum.

Wrong venue. You're not going to get a definitive answer to your question on an expat forum.  

Davaoeno

I was wondering if there are cities where most people speak good English

That was your original question, which I thought I answered when I mentioned Universities and call centres.

Perhaps English isn't your first language.

of course what he meant to say is that he wants to find a city where most people " speak English well "  .   :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

• Like 4

Paul

Nope. This is, by far, the best forum you can find online, for information about the Philippines. Some of the members, though, are on release from the local mental institutions. They have to be back by 5pm, though.

Which citiies in the Philippines have the most educated populace?

Some of the areas I have lived in here, the locals English is very poor and I am pretty certain it's because in those areas they did not go to school much. I was wondering if there are cities where most people speak good English, probably due to higher educational levels. I think Baguio is one, too bad it rains to much there. Here is a link to the most liveable cities in the Phiiippines, but it does not address this question per se. http://ikwaderno.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/top-20-liveable-philippine-cities-of-2012/

Manila

Cebu

Davao

Dumaguete

Tacloban

Others, certainly, will suffice.

I think the bottom line here is, if you want to live in a city where people speak "good" English, move to England. And, no, I am not being a smart ass, here.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 5

Skywalker

I think the bottom line here is, if you want to live in a city where people speak "good" English, move to England.

I think that was probably true a generation ago.  When was the last time you were in an 'English' City?

Sadly Britain's crazy-stupid immigration rules have allowed in every johnnie foreigner (and their families) to the extent that in many inner City primary schools in London, English is not the majority first language anymore.

The United Kingdom identity has become so diluted, it's hard to put a finger on what an English person looks and sounds like anymore.