Speaking English

Which citiies in the Philippines have the most educated populace?

Some of the areas I have lived in here, the locals English is very poor and I am pretty certain it's because in those areas they did not go to school much. I was wondering if there are cities where most people speak good English, probably due to higher educational levels. I think Baguio is one, too bad it rains to much there. Here is a link to the most liveable cities in the Phiiippines, but it does not address this question per se. http://ikwaderno.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/top-20-liveable-philippine-cities-of-2012/

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KID

• Wombat No More

• Thelandofku-an

• jtmwatchbiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spanish!

You will need to adjust your ears to understand the accent here. Here's a short tutorial.

Nope. This is, by far, the best forum you can find online, for information about the Philippines. Some of the members, though, are on release from the local mental institutions. They have to be back b

Posted Images

Skywalker

Hardly anyone here speaks English, they speak a variant called American English.  It's very widely understood, and quite widely spoken.

Any area that has a high level of University students, and/or a lot of call centres that serve USA/EU businesses will have a high level of American English language skills.

• Like 3

Have you listened to the Senate recently?  If they can't speak English then what hope is there for the rest of the country?  During the impeachment of Corona there was a request (denied) that the proceedings be conducted in Filipino (Tagalog) as the defense and prosecution teams felt more comfortable in their mother tongue.  Yet English is the legal language of the PH, it is the English version and interpretation of the Constitution that takes precedent over the Tagalog version.

Welcome to the land of confusion over he and she, bring and take, in front of and opposite, and many more.

Sorry, even the English text books are full of grammatical errors, so it's really nothing to do with local education.

"No parking both sides."  You need a very wide Humvee to accomplish that.

Edited by GoHuk
shadow

Many people in this area speak English. Unfortunately, few understand it at all!

• Like 3
POTATOMAN

to be fair the average filipino/a probably speaks as good english (along with a couple of other languages) as any average joe/joanne in england or the us. most of the white young poeple in the uk seem to want to speak some sort of afro-american garbage init

• Like 4
Irenicus

Which citiies in the Philippines have the most educated populace?

Some of the areas I have lived in here, the locals English is very poor and I am pretty certain it's because in those areas they did not go to school much. I was wondering if there are cities where most people speak good English, probably due to higher educational levels. I think Baguio is one, too bad it rains to much there. Here is a link to the most liveable cities in the Phiiippines, but it does not address this question per se. http://ikwaderno.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/top-20-liveable-philippine-cities-of-2012/

I would say Filipinos grasp of spoken English is equivalent to this post's grasp of written English - they have it in general terms, but the finer "rules" are lacking. I like it as they are using an archaic version of American English that hasn't been used in decades.

Wombat No More

Hardly anyone here speaks English, they speak a variant called American English.

Yes, so true... And I heard that they speak english as the main language (for the time being) in the U.S.... I'm still waiting to hear some (english that is). I can see their lips moving, there is noise coming out, but what the hell are they saying?

:idontknow:  :banghead:   :fighting0029:   :drink: 

:popcorn: 

Edited by Wombat No More
  • Like 3
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

you'll find some people that can't wait to get a chance to speak english with you.. some that will be embarrassed to speak it with a native speaker

most can at the very least will be able to passably communicate with you 

i know some who can write in perfect english .. but have a harder time when spoken 

my wife's family her her mom her sister her dad(when he was alive) all are very proficient in english .. my wife and her mom being the best they could both easily pass for native speakers for most all of their lives .. her bothers are not as proficient but none the less very good .. but they suffer occasionally from the ego making them embarrassed to speak in front of some native speakers .. they would rather remain the big fish in the small pond around their friends so to speak 

my wife has some cousins one in particular who can't wait for me to visit cause they hunt me down just to get to speak english with me and they are very good as good as my wife

i have yet to meet anyone over there i can't communicate with at a more than basic level

• Like 1

You will need to adjust your ears to understand the accent here. Here's a short tutorial.

• Like 6

to be fair the average filipino/a probably speaks as good english as any average joe/joanne in england or the us.

seriously????  Well the only people here in the states opening and closing the light switch are Filipinos :)

Yes, so true... And I heard that they speak english as the main language (for the time being) in the U.S.... I'm still waiting to hear some (english that is). I can see their lips moving, there is noise coming out, but what the hell are they saying?

This coming from someone who can't even spell Tire or mom  correctly-- Back to your cave Phil !!!

Edited by KID
  • Like 2
Wombat No More

>Yes, so true... And I heard that they speak english as the main language (for the time being) in the U.S.... I'm still waiting to hear some (english that is). I can see their lips moving, there is noise coming out, but what the hell are they saying?

This coming from someone who can't even spell Tire or mom  correctly-- Back to your cave Phil !!!

Ah, well done son, you've proved my point exactly... :)

Edited by Wombat No More

>Yes, so true... And I heard that they speak english as the main language (for the time being) in the U.S.... I'm still waiting to hear some (english that is). I can see their lips moving, there is noise coming out, but what the hell are they saying?

Ah, well done son, you've proved my point exactly... :)

No problem-- next time you need a spelling lesson-- I will have my 8yr old give ya some pointers---- BTW-- do your people still think the world is flat ? :)

• Like 2

Official Languages of the Philippines: Filipino (Tagalog) and English

Official Language of the USA?

• Like 3
jtmwatchbiz

Official Language of the USA?

the language of love