Resident card one day, or never?

Hi there,

I am married to a filipina for now 6 years, here in the Philps and also in Europe.

In November 2009, I got my probationary card

In September 2010, I went to the BI in Mandaue and asked to apply for the permanent card

but at that time my wife was working abroad

The secretary told me to go back on a tourist visa, which I did - how stupid I was ...

The lawyer from the BI, who calls me Napo (I'm french), told me "you received a bad advice"

I said, this advice came from your secretary

He precised that I don't need my wife to get the permanent card, but it was too late ...

In November 2011, new interview and the visa (13A) was immediately approved

the day after Christmas 2011, they called me to implement the card, but I was not home

and the lawyer told me that I could come back later, since my visa had been approved.

I showed up at the Mandaue BI in June 2012, but they told me it was too late

I talked to the number 2 of Mandaue and he asked me to come back the next day, after he calls Manila

I never went back ...  May be my mistake ...

I am in direct contact now with Manila and the person in-charge of my file needs to know a few details,

like date of approval, etc, to go check into the computer what my situation looks like, and will ask for a motion of reconsideration.

I want my permanent card, I feel, they made a mistake the first time, OK, I was late the second time, but I am still married and so far spent so much ... Gosh, Immigration represents a big part of the budget ...

I don't want to go back again as a tourist and apply for the 3rd time for the probationary card ...

Did anyone go through the same scheme and how did it end up?

Thank you

Pat

It is all about money:Euro's/Peso's/Dollars. The office I went to is out-of-way and the people there know it will take at least a plane ride or a miserable ferry-ride to go elsewhere with possible similar results. At the first interview I was asked some questions and I immediately suspected that the interviewer was sizing me up for the whatever was going to be the biggest amount of money he would eventually ask for as the 'FEE' to process the paper-work in Manila. I was right in my assumptions and so minimized the amounts of money I mentioned and when the time came it was only a li'l over E400 or about $550. Which is actually less than a retirree visa in other countries I have resided in. The only problem was I never got the promised visa and that was after the second 'FEE', after the probationary visa expired, was paid. I did not want to be in the country illegally although upon reconsideration I would not do it again and would prefer to 'overstay' a tourist visa and pay at the NAIA terminal on the way out than grease the sleazy hands of the shit-bag who took my money, and many others money, and never delivered the visa. I know guys who are still waiting years later. Not many people sneak into the Philippines and most people are trying to get the hell out, so they actually want people to stay. The worst case I observed was a guy, who is still waiting who, paid P80K 'FEE' to a BoI official for his intitial probationary 13A visa, got it two weeks before it expired and has not heard a word since on his 13A permanent visa,HA! I am not the worst case I have heard, but it was not good and one reason why it is doubtful I will ever set foot in a BoI office again. With fines included it will not come to over P80/day to 'overstay' a tourist visa. If you can get by with-out the need to borrow money for a car,and have someone you trust set up a bank account( a potential BIG problem), you will quite possibly never need to use the worthless piece of plastic anyway. I never, not once had to show anyone my ACR card. It expired 10 days after I got it anyway. I do not encourage you to break the law, but 'overstaying' a tourist visa is hardly a major crime. I would like to state the office involved in my case, the shitbag I dealt with knows full well who I am and we do not care for each other at all( hate his feckin guts actually), but, for multiple reasons, that will not be happening. I hear guys bitching about the P5,000 they get hit for by lawyers who set-up the interview in Cebu, it is almost as expensive as the visa, but comparatively speaking it would have been a blessing to me had I decided to go there to get the visa situation straightened out. BTW, I never got the 13A I paid for and it cost me over P100K+ and it was only after attempting to leave the country that I found out that the shitbag BoI official I paid to get the 13A permanent visa, never even applied for the feckin thing!!!!  What this sleazebag did is just total scumbaggery, a shit bag maneuver of the first rank, if he did it in Europe or the USA and got caught shaking people down, he would be in prison. What he did was split the ca$h with whoever he had to, lie straight to my face, and I got the embarrassment of a life-time when I showed up at NAIA and was denied exit ( after showing up at the said shit-bags office 2 weeks prior to leaving just to make sure everything was set and I could purchase plane tickets to exit the country w/out any problems. I was given 3 pieces of paper to show the guys at NAIA who laughed when they saw them), had to purchase new plane tickets etc, etc, etc, which is a positively charming story(NOT!) for another day. However, I know for a fact that I am not the worst, actually I got off easy, case at this particular office I hope you do not go to. I can still see these shitbags, and know now, that they size everyone up who walks throught their doors for how much they can get out of each and every guy who walks in. I hesitated to state all this and since I have not indicated which office I went and dealt with, have been out of the country for over a year, after staying for almost 9 yrs. , do not care about stating the facts of what happened ( it is not fantasy, it all happened), it was un-pleasant and my partner was even ashamed at the behavior of the people, fellow countrymen, involved. My partner was treated very well by the country we live in today and not a single extra Euro/Peso/Dollar was requested by the immigration officials involved, it is an imprisonable offense in most 'civilised' countries. Good luck, you may want to consider the ever popular 'visa run' and bypass BoI altogether, I wish I did.

What appalling stories from both of you (Patrjck and P-Man).  My experience was completely different but then I dealt with the BoI in Manila and my wife accompanied me through every stage.  The fees I paid were as stated on the mimeographed 'Requirements' sheet obtained from the bureau.  (There is no requirement for overseas police clearance as has been suggested elsewhere in this forum but NBI clearance is required which is a pain to obtain - all that queuing!)  The BoI were slow to process the application and I had to renew my vistor's visa while I waited.  My interview was conducted by a BoI official at the BoI and no fees were asked for this.  I applied in July and the Probabtionary Visa was issued in October - three months, which is not as bad as it could have been.

The Permanent Visa was issued a year later after a wait of one month.  I asked at the BoI what I was to do if stopped since my probabtionary had expired and my permanent not yet issued.  "Oh you must get a Visitor's Visa," was the reply.  This did not sound right and I enquired elsewhere in the BoI.  The official stopped short of accusing his colleague of bullshit but stressed that I had the official receipt for a Permanent Visa and that should satisfy the immigration personnel if needed.

Patrjck, you seem to be your own worst enemy.  OK, you should have asked again when the secretary gave you what seemed like illogical advice. It never hurts getting a second opinion here.  You should have gone back to the BoI when asked.  P-Man, what can I say?  Red flags should spring up the moment anyone here asks for money.  I've stopped using fixers wherever possible; it's generally cheaper and quicker to go to the ministry/organisation concerned and deal directly.  Take an interpreter with you.

The ACR card is separate from the visa and not limited to residential visas; my friend gets one based on his visit visa.

As a footnote it took me 90 seconds to make my ACR report at the BoI last Friday - straight up to the desk; thirty seconds for the machine to read my card; thirty seconds to pay 310 Pesos; and thirty seconds while they hunted for change.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I

Your first mistake was using any sort of fixer for a visa which you are lawfully entitled to and meet all the requirements to obtain. There is no need to do so. Anyone with even below average intelligence can complete the forms, order the necessary documents from the concerned governmental agency (birth certificate of spouse and marriage license from NSO) and submit it in person at the BI. There is no mystery in this process. Well, ok there is a bit of a mystery as to how many copies they need of everything, and no one can guess it by looking at the website or application instructions. But, if you bring 10 copies of everything you will have enough.

Edited by Monsoon
ancienrocka

I totally agree with Monsoon, never ever use a fixer here - we had absolutely no problems when we applied and got our 13a but have heard similar problems from clients who "paid" for their visa.

In our business, nothing that we do is rocket science and we never pay anything under the table - in our dealings with all government agencies we are just experts at knowing which queue to stand in, which forms to fill in and how to fill them out - we also have employees who will wait in line for 3-4 hours to save our clients the time.

The new Commissioner and his predecessor are very strict about corruption and have stamped out much of the dubious practices of the past.  I would take our problem to the relevant head man at the office where you had you problem.  You can find the bosses name at www.immigration.gov.ph

I never used a fixer, where did you read that, I just did everything myself with my wife, and yes it was easy...

and cheap, only 12k for the first card ...

the second time i was assisted by a lawyer, a friend of mine, but since i showed up late to implement the card

they asked me to go back on a tourist visa for the second time, which I refused

So I went to talk to the Boss and the commissioner 

They were willing to help me, and asked me to come back the next day after they called Manila, but I never returned, OK it's my mistake

Now, I am dealing with Manila and it looks like they are going to give me a chance...

Let's our fingers crossed!!!

More to come as soon as I have news

I

Your first mistake was using any sort of fixer for a visa which you are lawfully entitled to and meet all the requirements to obtain. There is no need to do so. Anyone with even below average intelligence can complete the forms, order the necessary documents from the concerned governmental agency (birth certificate of spouse and marriage license from NSO) and submit it in person at the BI. There is no mystery in this process. Well, ok there is a bit of a mystery as to how many copies they need of everything, and no one can guess it by looking at the website or application instructions. But, if you bring 10 copies of everything you will have enough.

Dude, I did not use a fixer, OK? do you see the word 'FIXER' anywhere in my post? I knew that all this was going to come my way, but I posted anyway, I am not an idiot and neither are any of the other EX-PAT's who walk into the BoI office I walked into, GET IT? the SCUMBAGS, YES, feckIN SCUMBAGS who work there are taking advantage of a lot of people, decent EX-PATS who are walking/talking targets when they go into this particular office. The only mistake I made was not getting on a plane and going to another office.

U know, when I did not get out of the country when I went to NAIA and had to buy NEW TIX OUT... pay BoI AGAIN...HOTEL BILL..... GET THE PICTURE? Have fun in that hell-hole. Now I see another EX-PAT has been murdered.

I want to see if I could find out what happened to the murderers of A)the 3 EX-PATS who were murdered in July 2010, by a 222 yr. old kid who befriended them in Manila, B) George Anikow who was murdered in November, 2012 and it was caught on tape and ALMOST no one outside the PI saw it as it was not allowed out for tourism concerns. C) the old- dude in Surigao city I actually think I met one day, 4 yrs. back. 6'0", skinny -guy, kinda bald. His wife is the chief suspect. Anyone know what happened to these guys murderers? These guys killers should not get away with it. and NOW this guy Turner, HOLY SHIT!  although this news is not independently confirmed yet, and I am not calling Bollozo's, I do not doubt it. Ex-pat murders are not making the news outside of the Philippines the last few yrs.

I left, anyone else who doesn't? Hey, GOOD LUCK!

Davaoeno

I left,

obviously a wise decision !!  So why are you on this site posting  [ considering how much you hate this country .  I would assume you would want to put the Phil out of your mind asap ]

• Like 2

I left,

obviously a wise decision !!  So why are you on this site posting  [ considering how much you hate this country .  I would assume you would want to put the Phil out of your mind asap ]

if you read the post you would know. I liked the PI and its people, most of them. I gave the PI almost 10 yrs. of my life and was damn good to a lot of people, and was taken advantage of more than once. Always turned my cheek too, and could have pulled a Pope routine, easily and felt completely justified about it.I like my life too much though. It was certain individuals at BoI, and a few others(LTO always charging double, or 'hey get on a plane and go to Manila') that ruined my opinion of the place. if you have been here long enough you have heard it all before, nothing new to report from me. There is no perfect place, and when I thought it was time to go, I did. I can return any time I like, the beaches that are not polluted are lovely, but is a big planet with lots of others to visit, live. I am wodering if anyone knows what happened to those guys killers, to answer ur question Dave. 

I never had a problem with the 13A process.  Actually BOI did all the paperwork for us and we only signed and provided documents.  They even got our NSO Marrige Certificate within 24 hours for us.  They texted us a day before interviews to advise us to come in at a certain time.  Guess I'm just lucky or maybe just charmimg........lol    

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

It is all about money:Euro's/Peso's/Dollars. The office I went to is out-of-way and the people there know it will take at least a plane ride or a that the interviewer was sizing me up for the whatever was going to be the biggest amount of money he would eventually ask for as the 'FEE' to process the paper-work in Manila. I was right in my assumptions and so minimized the amounts of money I mentioned and when the time came it was only a li'l over E400 or about $550. Which is actually less than a retirree visa in other countries I have resided in. The only problem was I never got the promised visa and that was after the second 'FEE', after the probationary visa expired, was paid. I did not want to be in the country

there to get the visa situation straightened out. BTW, I never got the 13A I paid for and it cost me over P100K+ and it was only after attempting to leave the country that I found out that the shitbag BoI official I paid to get the 13A permanent visa, never even applied for the feckin thing!!!!  What this sleazebag did is just total scumbaggery, a shit bag maneuver of the first rank, if he did it in Europe or the USA and got caught shaking people down, he would be in prison. What he did was split the ca$h with whoever he had to, lie straight to my face, and I got the embarrassment of a life-

By your own admission you paid someone at the BOI money under the table. Thus, you used a fixer. Most fixers are inside the government agencies. Fixers outside the agencies are just middle men that go to the fixers inside.

Giving money to a corrupt 'official', more money than is statutorily defined, and not getting a receipt for a very simple visa to process is an idiotic move that just feeds the fuel of corruption. The old saying, "A fool and his money..."

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1

I

Ah, the insult I was waiting for, naieve would have been more palatable, but we shall never meet and I am not one for 'keyboard' warfare. I will say that I was in the country for years on what I assumed was a valid visa (there is your 2nd opening to give me another insult), and what really happened was only apparent after I tried to leave the country and could not, years later.The first probationary visa took some time and I never went back after for the 2nd, sne texts and was told it had not come in yet, don't worry! Sure . The guy responsible was reportedly 'shitting in his pants',and he had good reason to be. I appeared to  be mentally-ill, and I probably was, when I left the Intramuros office they knew where I was going and ran after me and said that I would be treated 'specially' and the exit clearance would only take a few hours instead of the 'four days' that they told had me initially that it would take. In my defense I would also like to add that when all of this first started the BoI internet web-site was not available ,and this site was only someones dream. I went to the Philippines w/ a lonely planet book and that was all that was available. You 'know it alls' who go there now have it a lot easier, can ask each others advice etc, etc...I had no such benfits available to me. The scumbags responsible are still taking advantage of people on a daily basis, as they know the only other way to deal w/immigration is by getting a $200 flight+HOTELS to Manila or Cebu, so there ya go. feck if ya do, feck if ya don't. It is a perfectly laid trap and I walked right into it ( I only paid after consulting my partners family) and other 'FOOLS' are doing it to this day, on a daily basis. I wonder what you would have done in exactly the same situation( no internet web-site , no buddies to just go on-line and ask,huh?)? I really do hope you meet one of the other 'FOOLS' one day and call them a fool to their face. That would be interesting to see. I wanted to be in the country legally and do the right thing. Today I would just laugh at anyone who even suggests getting an ACR, LICENSE or other such ID. I lived there for a very long time and never showed anyone any of them. My International license is all that would be necessary and I would laugh, and already have, at those idiotic RTA guys shaking decent EX-PATS down for not having Philippine licenses. and there LTO buddies, dipshits all of them.

the lack of reciprocal treatment of people who go to the Philippines, and support entire families, is a disgrace and should be addressed, but won't.  Filipino's are treated well in Europe, especially Northwestern Europe as well as the States.

Beware of Mindanao Island is all I will say. I , and others, were warned. I did not listen as my partner was from there, so I went and lived very quietly and discreetly, but whenever I had to deal with a gov't. agncy, that is when I had problems, expensive ones.  

In a separate development, a certain other SCUMBAG, who is a suspect in a car-theft ring and other cases (and has unbelievably remained free from a filippine prison) against U.S. citizens IN THE U.S.A. is being named by sunstar.com as being somehow involved in the murder of an American national in Opal,CDO,Mindanao Island less than 24 hours ago. feckIN MINDANAO.

smokey

oh the old ACR... i was i line at the beginning and the process was long and costly back in 2006 and to get mine signed after this HEALTH screening which included a chip of poop... i still had to pay 35,000 p for the head to sign... now its common and streamlined but the first troopers had to smooth the path for those to follow

• Like 1

oh the old ACR... i was i line at the beginning and the process was long and costly back in 2006 and to get mine signed after this HEALTH screening which included a chip of poop... i still had to pay 35,000 p for the head to sign... now its common and streamlined but the first troopers had to smooth the path for those to follow

Yes, we did. and I know I got off easy compared to others who got burnt for 5X's what I paid. The problem I had with the whole thing was how it all turned out and how I found out (quite a humiliating and expensive surprise!) that the POS never even applied for the permanent 13A visa as he had assured me he did, once a month for 2 yrs. until I finally just said feck it and stopped texting the guy. As I recall now, when I went to see the guy, he was shaking. I had not actually seen the guy in at least 3 years and I figured maybe the poor guy had Parkinson's disease or some shit.( Little did I know what was going to happen in a mere two weeks, I did have a bad feeling right before I went to NAIA though.)

But NO, the weasel did what he did and had no way to correct it and that was why he was shaking. I think he always knew that I was a no-sense guy and I although I actually did not mind paying the fees, I did not BUT BUT BUT just do not bull-shit me, and that is exactly what he did. I am glad you posted that it cost you the 35K, not because you paid more than I did but because back in its infancy the ACR card was a bonanza for scamming the foreigners and the guys who have arrived in the last 3-5 yrs. have it a lot easier( and maybe do not know  just how fortunate they are) than those who came before them, no-internet sites etc, etc.. I appreciate your post.