Globe Roaming

udonthani

until now I've been totally satisfied with SMART roaming as it's easy to use and inexpensive (in fact it costs text to nothing).

however it might be easier for some of my assistants to use a GLOBE number when I'm roaming.

I see GLOBE have now changed from the last time I checked them out, when they had a laughably bad roaming system they had before to something more resembling the SMART model.

as far as I understand it the main features are this :

* to activate text GROAM ON plus date (mm/dd/yr) to 2884 24 hours before you leave the country (SMART is one hour).

* keep 100 peso minimum balance (same as SMART).

a Filipino friend who travels a lot and who knows many OFW's says it's best to load up with 300 pesos and that will last for FOUR MONTHS without you needing to reload, she says beware loading with lesser amounts because the load won't last long. And if you want to extend for a longer period, you need to load up another 300 once the four months is over.

does anyone have any experience with using GLOBE roaming confirm how usable it is and any 'tricks' with using it for minimal expense and hassle.

a Filipino friend who travels a lot and who knows many OFW's says it's best to load up with 300 pesos and that will last for FOUR MONTHS without you needing to reload

SMART

http://www1.smart.com.ph/help/prepaid/article/2011/11/12/call-and-text-card-expiry-and-validity

100 php load valid for 30 days

300 php load valid for 75 days

500 php load valid for 120 days

Globe

http://www.globe.com.ph/loading-services/call-cards

same as above

udonthani

in practice SMART definitely does not work out like that and I have gone without loading it at all for months at a stretch, although usually I do make sure 30 pesos (the minimum amount that can be e-loaded in person from a store in the Philippines to a roaming number) does get loaded once a month. It's always received texts from the Philippines abroard, which is the only thing it is needed for, without a hitch. I want to know if GLOBE is the same and you can get by without maintaining it with the high amounts of load their website suggests thet you need to. Anybody can go and look at some website, what I would like is somebody who actually knows how GLOBE roaming works in practice like I know how SMART does.

My Globe has never roamed to australia, my gf's roamed fine in Hong Kong until she ran out of load

udonthani

yes that's the problem. I think there's a distinction between 'local' countries like Hong Kong and 'far away' ones like Oz, UK etc. She is saying that you can even check your balance for free with GLOBE, well you can't do that with SMART. That costs 20 pesos with them each time, therefore best not to do it at all. With SMART you basically don't have to spend anything at all as long as you have 100 loaded when you leave, apart from the odd 30 pesos now and then. 

checked SUN roaming as well, they are well behind. No service to the UK at all, however they did at least tell me so in the shop, rather than trying to make out that they did. 

I have been using Globe roam for some years now. I activate it just before leaving the Phil's and it’s mostly activated by the time I land back in OZ. Although the last couple of times I have had to call Globe on Skype to say it was not active and it was activated in minutes. But 90 % of the time is active when I arrive in OZ. 

I mainly have it on in OZ for txts sent to me as it only costs the sender 1php ...If i get a call in on my globe cell I will only answer it if I think it may be an emergency because it’s an expensive reverse charge and you can kiss your load goodbye quicker than it takes to skull a San Mig. I always load my cell (BDO online) with 120 days Load and make a note of when that’s going to expire. If you dont reload in that time ...IT DOES EXPIRE.

It costs you nothing to receive txts on roam but its 25p per txt to send one. I only send a txt on globe once a month or so to make myself feel like I am contributing something back to globe.

In Oz I am with the TPG (who utilises the Optus network) and I have found it to be reliable and excellent value. TPG have a plan of $34.99 per month (or $29.99 if you have your home internet with them as I do) and for that you get unlimited txts to anywhere in the world, $1000.00 included calls for in OZ (includes 13/18 numbers) and or international calls.  Calls in OZ are .90c per minute and calls to the Phils (to a cell or L/Line) are $1.89 per minute both have a .35c flag fall.

However if you crunch the numbers It’s unlimited txts and around 500 minutes of call to the Phil’s per month. On top of this you get 3 GB of data included and unlimited free social networks access. So that if you have a smart phone you can use it to go online and skype to skype for free calls.

Hope this helps somebody …. If anybody knows a better way …Plz let me know??.

• Like 1

I have Globe roaming I use this USA site to reload its usually instant any day or night.  https://www.aryty.com/Default.aspx for around $4 for 150p for 45 days.  I tried the 300 load once and it disappeared before the time limit I don't know what happened a glitch or ... so I stick to the 150p load now that is the minimun load you can buy. 

I have the expiry date in my computer calender and I keep checking the balance around the expiry date until I get a zero bal reply.  I do this as sometimes I don't get a zero reading exactly every 45 days sometimes if it falls on a weekend etc.  I did try to reload before expiry once thinking one would be consumed and the other would restart the countdown unfortunately it consumed all of my load old and new thats why I wait until the bal is zero. 

You press *122# and send, no charge its free, you usually get a quick reply sometimes you get a "sorry can't process your request" I find if I check my balance during office hours I get a better chance of a bal txt.  I get a lot of globe promos I just delete them. 

udonthani

GLOBE obviously isn't as good as SMART roaming, certainly seems more expensive, SMART has worked totally without a hitch with me for years. It's not like I never used to get any texts when overseas from GLOBE users with the SMART roaming because I did. The various promo deals of SMART, GLOBE and SUN mean that a lot of people get the text-all-network deals quite often so there isn't really all that pressing a need to have more than one roaming SIM card. However I'll give it a try. 

• 2 weeks later...
udonthani

back in the UK now, the GLOBE doesn't work, but the SMART works fine as usual. So that's 300 pesos down the toilet.

GLOBE are just a shit company.

Davaoeno

So that's 300 pesos down the toilet.

I was going to say " thats gotta hurt"  but i realized that that was sarcastic, so instead i will only say " gosh - i am so sorry to hear that "