Benefits to WW II Filipino Veterans

JamesMusslewhite

My wife's grandfather was a Filipino Scout officer who chose to stay here in the Philippines after the war to help rebuild a new country ravaged by the war. He died two years ago and never asked the US for a damn thing or a handout. All he wanted was respect he had earned and what he was promised by the US government the day he joined seven months before Pearl Harbor. I remember him saying that he was referred to as a Filipino-US Soldier by his own US commanders. He was never given that respect, so you guys can be happy that he was free and did not cost you $9,000, I am happy that least now a few of his comrades who out lived him will finally get that respect stolen from them. 

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesMusslewhite

• smokey

• JSL-USMC

• mactanfamily

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think there could be many. I was 11 when the war ended and I'm 78 now. Of course they will get claimants who carried water to the troops when they were 5. Besides, they were fighting for their

I sorry, I'm one of those type of people who believe one's word is a bond. You make a promise than you keep that promise. It is what defines you as being a righteous man worthy of respect,  and not ju

There you go James i meet a lot of guys in viet nam and many of them were much better people then i ever was or hoped to be yet they died and i did not and many times i ask myself why/////////////////

towboat72

JAMES WELL SAID THERE WERE PROMICES MADE AND NEVER KEPT.I DONT THINK MOST JOINED BECAUSE THEY WERE PROMISED MONEY ,I THINK THEY JOINED BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO .A LOT OF PEOPLE DIED IN THOSE BATTLES AND A LOT MORE US SOLDERS WOULD HAVE DIED IF NOT FOR THE HELP  WE GOT FROM THE PHILIPPIONS.

IT IS TRUE THERE ARE A LOT OF US SOLDIERS THAT NEED HELP AND IT IS BEING OFFERED BUT MOST ARE GUYS THAT DONT WANT TO  DO WHAT IS REQUIRED TO RECEIVE IT.A LOT ARE HOMELESS BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY CHOSE TO BE.

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

JAMES WELL SAID THERE WERE PROMICES MADE AND NEVER KEPT.I DONT THINK MOST JOINED BECAUSE THEY WERE PROMISED MONEY ,I THINK THEY JOINED BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO .A LOT OF PEOPLE DIED IN THOSE BATTLES AND A LOT MORE US SOLDERS WOULD HAVE DIED IF NOT FOR THE HELP  WE GOT FROM THE PHILIPPIONS.

IT IS TRUE THERE ARE A LOT OF US SOLDIERS THAT NEED HELP AND IT IS BEING OFFERED BUT MOST ARE GUYS THAT DONT WANT TO  DO WHAT IS REQUIRED TO RECEIVE IT.A LOT ARE HOMELESS BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY CHOSE TO BE.

I have hired many vets in my businesses over 20 years and most were great guys and good employees and foremens. I have also hired some that were totally worthless as employees, some came to work so stoned or drunk they could barely function. I employed 8-40 employes at any given time depending of season and need for projects. I have friends who were vets that could not stop doing drugs, who would sell and trade their meds to buy the drugs of their choice. I have watched several of my vet friends kill themselves through their excesses. People are still people, and vets are merely people; and statistics dictate that 10% in all groups are potential problem children. 1 out of 3 homeless are vets. 2013 statistics shows a US total resident population of 315,539,000. In 2006, 8 percent of the U.S. population, or 23.9 million people, were military veterans. Of these, 38 percent were over 65 years old, according to the Hoover Institution. The states with the largest proportion of veterans in the population were Maine and Montana, while California was home to more veterans than any other state.

according to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Projected U.S. Veterans Population: 23,977,000 {Female 1,731,000 7.2%}
Projected Number of Living WW II Veterans (as of 9/30/2006): 3,151,000
Number of WW II Veterans Pass Away Per Day: 1,025

Percentage of Veteran Population 65 or Older: 38.4%

Total Number of US homeless:

As many as 3.5 million people experience homelessness in a given year (1% of the entire U.S. population or 10% of its poor), and about 842,000 people in any given week.Most were homeless temporarily. The chronically homeless population (those with repeated episodes or who have been homeless for long periods) fell from 175,914 in 2005 to 123,833 in 2007.

Familial composition

23% are families with children—the fastest growing segment.

51.3% are single males.

24.7% are single females.

5% are minors unaccompanied by adults.

1.37 million (or 39%) of th total homeless population are children under the age of 18.

Marital status

76% are single.

67.5% are single males within the single percentage.

32.5% are single females within the single percentage.

Ethnicity

42% are Blacks (over-represented 3.23x compared to 13% of general population).

38% are Caucasian (under-represented 0.53x compared to 72% of general population).

20% are Hispanic (over-represented 1.25x compared to 16% of general population).

4% are Native American (over-represented 4x compared to 1% of general population).

2% are Asian-American (under-represented 0.4x compared to 5% of general population).

Health-concerns.

39% report some form of mental health problems

22% are considered to have serious mental illnesses, or are disabled.

38% have alcohol abuse problems.

26% have other substance abuse problems.

3% report having HIV/AIDS.

26% report acute health problems other than HIV/AIDS such as tuberculosis, pneumonia, or sexually transmitted infections.

46% report chronic health conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or cancer.

55% report having no health insurance (compared to 27% of general population).

58% report having trouble getting enough food to eat.

Education

38% have less than a High School diploma.

34% have a High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.).

28% have more than a High School education.

Employment

44% report having worked in the past week.

13% have regular jobs.

50% receive less than $300 per month as income.

70% work on street corners, pan-handling or prostituting themselves.

Location.

71% reside in central cities.

21% are in suburbs.

9% are in rural areas.

Duration

80% of those who experience homelessness do so for less than 3 weeks. They typically have more personal, social, or economic resources to draw upon.

10% are homeless for up to two months. They cite lack of available or affordable housing as responsible for the delay.

10% are so called "chronic" and remain without housing for extended periods of time on a frequent basis. They typically struggle with mental illness, substance abuse, or both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_the_United_States

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs says veterans make up one-third of the nation's homeless population. The VA estimates that on any given night, 200,000 homeless vets are on the streets and in shelters. As many as 400,000 veterans deal with homelessness at some point each year. The VA acknowledges that many more veterans are dangerously close to becoming homeless or are living in poor conditions.

The National Coalition on Homeless Veterans says the number of homeless veterans could be even higher than the VA estimates. Using figures from a 1996 survey from the Urban Institute, the NCHV says the number of homeless vets in the U.S. is anywhere between 529,000 and 840,000.                                          

The survey found that of the 5,600 to 15,500 adults homeless on that night, 15 percent were veterans. Because 13 percent of Minnesota's general population is made up of veterans, they're not over-represented in the homeless population.

In 2003, the Wilder Research Center in St. Paul, Minn. surveyed Minnesota's homeless population on one night, October 23rd. The survey found that of the 5,600 to 15,500 adults homeless on that night, 15 percent were veterans. Because 13 percent of Minnesota's general population is made up of veterans, they're not over-represented in the homeless population.

The VA has also broken down the characteristics of the country's homeless veterans. Nearly half of the vets served in Vietnam. Forty-five percent of vets on the street suffer from a mental illness, while 75% percent deal with addiction to alcohol or drugs. The VA says about 56 percent of vets without a place to live are Hispanic or Blacks. The VA also estimates that it's only able to reach out to about 25 percent of homeless vets and offer them service related benefits.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2006/04/07/homelessvetssidebar

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1
JSL-USMC

James. You can call me Joe  are you can call me Moe, You can call me not smarts are you can call me old farts. But you doesn't have to call me Chief.

I was never and Indian or a swaby.   'cuse, native American.