Benefits to WW II Filipino Veterans

JSL-USMC

James, James James. I keep seeing references to promises that the U.S. made. Where and when? If we have some bonafied veterans and they can prove it...well okay. But at this late date there couldn't be more than a handful. I talked to a Filipinno in Chicago at the philippine counsel who was bitching about the problems he was having getting benefits from the U.S. When I asked him his age he was 4 years younger than me. That made him 7 when the war ended. Isolated case, yeah...maybe. You're right about the numbers of people that collect from the Govt. but that doesn't excuse  giving more away...in my opinion. Oh well, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesMusslewhite

• smokey

• JSL-USMC

• mactanfamily

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think there could be many. I was 11 when the war ended and I'm 78 now. Of course they will get claimants who carried water to the troops when they were 5. Besides, they were fighting for their

I sorry, I'm one of those type of people who believe one's word is a bond. You make a promise than you keep that promise. It is what defines you as being a righteous man worthy of respect,  and not ju

There you go James i meet a lot of guys in viet nam and many of them were much better people then i ever was or hoped to be yet they died and i did not and many times i ask myself why/////////////////

Irenicus

The 47% must be taking applications.

Everyone is a freeloader in my book.

Except me.

:)

Edited by Irenicus

To all, even those that question James - the following excerpt  is taken from an extensive report provided by the GAO regarding whether the VA Clinic and Regional Office should remain open - if you are a US Vet receiving Medical care from the Manila Clinic, and are going through the Compensation and Pension Reviews, this report can be very interesting - and perhaps you should start making plans for the future, should the Clinic be closed in 2014.

Please refer to this link for more detailed information.   http://www.gao.gov/assets/590/585963.html

The Quote:  

"Introduction:

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) operates a regional office in
the Republic of the Philippines—its sole office in a foreign country.

The Philippines became a U.S. territory in 1898.

About 500,000 Filipinos fought alongside U.S. soldiers in World War

Congress authorized the VA office, which administers benefits to
veterans who fought in the war."

Now this is a very brief quote, but it does answer the question regarding promises made and kept.

Should you choose not to read this report - it goes on to say that as of 1976 there were some 34,000 Filipino Vets still alive - in 2011 there was less then 6,000.  

Regarding JSL's meeting with someone at a Philippine Consulate Office in Chicago - Did you question him as to when he was either in the Philippine Armed Forces or the US Armed Forces and what years?  I am always running into US Vets of Filipino Ancestry, who have a service connected issue - many are Vietnam Era.  Maybe the guy you ran into was dual citizen, or the fact he served in the US Military may have given him the right to apply and therefore bitch about lack of benefits.   

If he was claiming WWII benefits, and you did or didn't read this report, you would know that Manila VA Regional Office has the highest rate of identifying fraud in claims of all the other 56 Regional Offices - and should you see this man again, you might tell him he would be better off working the claim through the Chicago VA then returning to the Philippines.

• Like 1
smokey

I sorry, I'm one of those type of people who believe one's word is a bond. You make a promise than you keep that promise. It is what defines you as being a righteous man worthy of respect,  and not just a lying self-serving punk... Our country made promises and then reneged on our word.

The US rebuilt Germany and Japan, while constantly shitting on the Philippines, and then Americans now seem to think they somehow owe us special favor and treatment? Bullshit, total bullshit. Macarthur would be ashamed of us now. America has no fecking honor left, we are now just a nation of punks. That is evident by some of the replies on this thread. Where is your honor? You do not have the right to even look a Filipino guerilla fighter in the eyes, because he should spit in your face. You are unworthy to stand in their presence. and have absolutely no right to look down on them. He was honorable and earned his right to look you in the eye, your just too stupid to realize you should turn your head away in shame. He proved his honor, we are the ones who have not.

How about the us building the us oh yea your not there so you dont care... even my wife is bitching and moaning about how much is taken out of her check ... And really where is your honor , forget where you come from ? everyone says the us this and the us that bullshit the government is the people and the people have familys and their own problems  and who give a rats ass what MacArthur said he sure did not feed my family , And if your so worried about what MacArthur said and did not deliver you take his place 

Mandingo

I sorry, I'm one of those type of people who believe one's word is a bond. You make a promise than you keep that promise. It is what defines you as being a righteous man worthy of respect,  and not just a lying self-serving punk... Our country made promises and then reneged on our word.

The US rebuilt Germany and Japan, while constantly shitting on the Philippines, and then Americans now seem to think they somehow owe us special favor and treatment? Bullshit, total bullshit. Macarthur would be ashamed of us now. America has no fecking honor left, we are now just a nation of punks. That is evident by some of the replies on this thread. Where is your honor? You do not have the right to even look a Filipino guerilla fighter in the eyes, because he should spit in your face. You are unworthy to stand in their presence. and have absolutely no right to look down on them. He was honorable and earned his right to look you in the eye, your just too stupid to realize you should turn your head away in shame. He proved his honor, we are the ones who have not.

I agree that if we make/made a promise then it is our obligation to see it through to the end, that is the right thing to do whether I agree with it or not.

As far as MacArthur being ashamed, I think Harry Truman said it best.

“I fired MacArthur because he wouldn’t respect the authority of the president. I didn’t fire him because he was a dumb son of a bitch, although he was.”

JamesMusslewhite

James, James James. I keep seeing references to promises that the U.S. made. Where and when? If we have some bonafied veterans and they can prove it...well okay. But at this late date there couldn't be more than a handful. I talked to a Filipinno in Chicago at the philippine counsel who was bitching about the problems he was having getting benefits from the U.S. When I asked him his age he was 4 years younger than me. That made him 7 when the war ended. Isolated case, yeah...maybe. You're right about the numbers of people that collect from the Govt. but that doesn't excuse  giving more away...in my opinion. Oh well, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

JSL1934, Here you go Chief. I am happy to do so since I know you old farts have to have concrete proof from us young wipper-snappers about things you should have already known or were simply just too lazy to do a simple internet search on. :biggrin_01: 

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-02-23/us/forgotten.veterans_1_philippine-veteran-filipino-world-war-ii-filipino-veterans-equity?_s=PM:US  and http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/macarthur/sfeature/bataan_filipino.html

During the war, the Philippines was a U.S. commonwealth. The U.S. military promised full veterans benefits to Filipinos who volunteered to fight.

"I, __[Name]__, do solemnly swear...that I will bear true faith and allegiance...to the United States of America...that I will serve them honestly and faithfully...against all their enemies whomsoever...and I will obey the orders...of the President of the United States...And the orders of the officers appointed over me...according to the rules and Articles of War."

With this pledge, approximately 250,000 Filipino men joined the U.S. Armed Forces in the months before and the days just after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. For the next several years, they would share the fate of their American counterparts on the battlefield, in prisoner of war camps, and throughout the countryside as part of the guerrilla resistance. Accordingly, Washington promised them the same health and pension benefits as their American brothers. Even after the war, in October of 1945, Gen. Omar Bradley, then Administrator of the Veterans Administration, reaffirmed that they were to be treated like any other American veterans.

But then, in 1946, President Truman signed the Rescission Act, taking that promise away. Today, only about about 15,000 of those troops are still alive, according to the American Coalition for Filipino Veterans.

"The record of the Philippine soldiers for bravery and loyalty is second to none," Truman wrote to the leaders of the House and Senate in 1946. "Their assignment was as bloody and difficult as any in which our American soldiers engaged. Under desperate circumstances they acquitted themselves nobly." Though Truman said the Rescission Act resulted in "discrimination," he signed it. "There can be no question but that the Philippine veteran is entitled to benefits bearing a reasonable relation to those received by the America veteran, with whom he fought side by side," he said. "From a practical point of view, however, it must be acknowledged that certain benefits granted by the GI bill of rights cannot be applied in the case of the Philippine veteran."

In Texas we call that act "reniging on a deal" which makes such a person a lier and an untrustworthy pile of horse dong undeserving of any measure of respect.... I guess it must be different were you boys were rised?

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 3
JamesMusslewhite

I agree that if we make/made a promise then it is our obligation to see it through to the end, that is the right thing to do whether I agree with it or not.

“I fired MacArthur because he wouldn’t respect the authority of the president. I didn’t fire him because he was a dumb son of a bitch, although he was.”

Yah, Truman was the damn fool who cost us the Korean War and his own personal ego helped kill American GIs by the thousands.

JSL-USMC

Well, some times you step in doo doo when you don't know what you are talking about. After 2 hours looking up Filipino in WWll it looks like Roosevelt promised them some benefits, couldn't find out exactly what they were....benefits, that is. Truman canceled that in 1946.

As I read it the Filipinos were conscripted by big Mac and the Philippines were a U.S. territory so they had to abide  with that. Hence, the U.S. owes/owed something. Which I assume would be equivalent to any other service member. BUT there seems to have been a lot of fraud in the  submission of the claims. Obama re instituted the benefits in 2009

As of 1-1-13 over 223,000,000 had been paid on the claims.

• Like 2
Mandingo

Yah, Truman was the damn fool who cost us the Korean War and his own personal ego helped kill American GIs by the thousands.

MacAuthur got caught with his pants down more times than a two dollar hooker yet some still consider him a great general,

USMC-Retired

What benefit did any Veteran that fought to save the Philippines in WW2 receive from the Philippine Government.  

If the answer is none.  Then the answer on the other side should be exactly the same.  I know many that retired here after 20 years of service and did they get some special consideration?  Hell no.  Sorry it is wrong.  They are now and shortly after the war decided to be a Free Country outside US rule.  That was their choice.  So stop depending on the US for handouts.  

• Like 1
smokey

What benefit did any Veteran that fought to save the Philippines in WW2 receive from the Philippine Government.  

If the answer is none.  Then the answer on the other side should be exactly the same.  I know many that retired here after 20 years of service and did they get some special consideration?  Hell no.  Sorry it is wrong.  They are now and shortly after the war decided to be a Free Country outside US rule.  That was their choice.  So stop depending on the US for handouts.  

my grandfathers brother got his name printed on the wall in manila so like i said its a one way street.... 

JamesMusslewhite

I sorry, I'm one of those type of people who believe one's word is a bond. You make a promise than you keep that promise. It is what defines you as being a righteous man worthy of respect, and not just a lying self-serving punk... Our country made promises and then reneged on our word.

How about the us building the us oh yea your not there so you dont care... even my wife is bitching and moaning about how much is taken out of her check ... And really where is your honor , forget where you come from ? everyone says the us this and the us that bullshit the government is the people and the people have familys and their own problems and who give a rats ass what MacArthur said he sure did not feed my family , And if your so worried about what MacArthur said and did not deliver you take his place

Well I guess we can now determine that you will welch on a deal if it serves your own best interest. I know I will never trust you in any business/financial arrangement, because you will screw someone in a heart beat if it suits you. This is probably one of the dumbest post I have seen you post.

Where is my honor? You throw that silly comment in my face as if I am the blame for your present woes. I’m sorry your life here sucked so bad that you had to return to the US. I am sorry that you could not hack it over here. That is really not my problem.

I can never forget were I come from. I came from Texas were a man's honor is his word and is his true worth as a man. So were did you come from BOY?

Your right what is a little thing like keeping one's word and backing one's word with real actions. These brave men are all probably just secon-class peoples to you anyways. How dare them to actually be stupid enough to fight with honor for a country which has shown them no honor in return?

JamesMusslewhite

Well, some times you step in doo doo when you don't know what you are talking about. After 2 hours looking up Filipino in WWll it looks like Roosevelt promised them some benefits, couldn't find out exactly what they were....benefits, that is. Truman canceled that in 1946.

As I read it the Filipinos were conscripted by big Mac and the Philippines were a U.S. territory so they had to abide  with that. Hence, the U.S. owes/owed something. Which I assume would be equivalent to any other service member. BUT there seems to have been a lot of fraud in the  submission of the claims. Obama re instituted the benefits in 2009

As of 1-1-13 over 223,000,000 had been paid on the claims.

HAHAHA don't feel bad that is why in Texas so many ware boots..... :biggrin_01:

Thanks for the payout figures. It is good to see that many were finally honored for their service.  Small change for what they did for us during WW2.

smokey

I sorry, I'm one of those type of people who believe one's word is a bond. You make a promise than you keep that promise. It is what defines you as being a righteous man worthy of respect, and not just a lying self-serving punk... Our country made promises and then reneged on our word.

How about the us building the us oh yea your not there so you dont care... even my wife is bitching and moaning about how much is taken out of her check ... And really where is your honor , forget where you come from ? everyone says the us this and the us that bullshit the government is the people and the people have familys and their own problems and who give a rats ass what MacArthur said he sure did not feed my family , And if your so worried about what MacArthur said and did not deliver you take his place

Well I guess we can now determine that you will welch on a deal if it serves your own best interest. I know I will never trust you in any business/financial arrangement, because you will screw someone in a heart beat if it suits you. This is probably one of the dumbest post I have seen you post.

Where is my honor? You throw that silly comment in my face as if I am the blame for your present woes.(( my present woes ? ) Your the one running around with police protection  I’m sorry your life here sucked so bad that you had to return to the US. I am sorry that you could not hack it over here. That is really not my problem.<<<  now your really hitting the coconut juice to hard.. had to return to the us ? or you mean was able to have a house in the us and cebu 

I can never forget were I come from. I came from Texas were a man's honor is his word and is his true worth as a man. So were did you come from BOY? NewYork  i drove thru texas was not impressed 

Your right what is a little thing like keeping one's word and backing one's word with real actions. These brave men are all probably just secon-class peoples to you anyways. How dare them to actually be stupid enough to fight with honor for a country which has shown them no honor in return? <<<,,,  you can save this load of bull for daytime TV i will match my medals against yours any time 

smokey

Hey Mr proud to be a veteran and a texan ... what about these guys i bet you will find some from Texas there but then i guess a man like you a man of HONOR would never turn your back on these guys ... As long as there are american vets homeless well that is number 1 in my book ... 

The Departments of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) recently released Volume I of the 2012 Annual Homeless Assessment Report. Among the key findings included in the report was the estimate that 62,619 veterans were homeless on a single night in 2012. That estimate represents a 7.2 percent decline compared to HUD's 2011 estimate, and a 17.2 percent decline compared to its 2009 estimate.

The veteran homelessness population is made up of veterans who served in several different conflicts, ranging from World War II to the recent conflicts. Though research indicates that veterans who served in the late Vietnam and post-Vietnam era are at greatest risk of homelessness, veterans returning from the recent conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq often have severe disabilities that are known to be correlated with homelessness. And as the military evolves, so too do the challenges. Homeless women veterans, for instance, are far more common now than in any other time in the past.

• Like 1