Benefits to WW II Filipino Veterans

bounder

I just received this and thought that if there were any Filipino Family members who had served with the Americans (which are getting fewer every day) during WW II  and had not gotten their compensation package from the USA.  There may now be another opportunity for them to claim those benefits. The article is below.:

As many Filipino veterans are dying off, a new bid has been launched in
Congress to aid those who are unable to win recognition and payment for
their services to the United States during World War II. Rep. Joe Heck,
(R-NV) reintroduced a bill 4 FEB that instructs the Department of
Veterans Affairs to accept documentation from the Philippine government
that the veterans had assisted American forces during the war. Congress
in 2009 authorized one-time payments to Filipinos who served as
soldiers, guerrillas and scouts alongside U.S. forces fighting the
Japanese. More than 41,000 claims were filed but only 12,600 were found
eligible. While some veterans missed the September 2010 deadline, others
were denied compensation because guerrilla rosters submitted as
documentation were rejected by the Department of Veterans Affairs and
the National Personnel Records Center, which is the depository for the
service records of individuals. Heck's bill would direct the VA to
accept the paperwork and to accept one valid document as acceptable
proof, rather than multiples, and it would direct the Army to cooperate.
It would extend the deadline for eligible veterans to apply. The 2009
law allows a $15,000 payment to eligible Filipino veterans who are now
U.S. citizens and $9,000 for those living in the Philippines.

The action comes as World War II veterans continue to pass away. "The
"Mighty Five" - Filipino-American veterans from Southern Nevada denied
compensation and whose cause was taken up in Las Vegas - have been
reduced to two over the past year with the deaths of Augusto Oppus,
Romeo Barreras and Silverio Cuaresma. Barreras died last month at 85.
Cuaresma, who was 100, died two weeks ago in Las Vegas. "Simply put,
these men fought so that the Allies could defeat the Japanese in the
Pacific," Heck said in a House speech Tuesday. "If they can show they
fought, let's fulfill our promise to them so they can live out their
years knowing the United States has officially recognized their
service." In the Senate, Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV) plans to reintroduce a
Filipino veterans compensation bill as work gets under way on the
Veterans Affairs committee on which he sits, a spokeswoman said. The
Obama administration has convened a group of federal officials from
various agencies to look into the issue, but when it would complete its
work was unclear. [source: Las Vegas Review-Journal | Steve Tetreault | 6
Feb 2013 ++]

bounder...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesMusslewhite

• smokey

• JSL-USMC

• mactanfamily

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think there could be many. I was 11 when the war ended and I'm 78 now. Of course they will get claimants who carried water to the troops when they were 5. Besides, they were fighting for their

I sorry, I'm one of those type of people who believe one's word is a bond. You make a promise than you keep that promise. It is what defines you as being a righteous man worthy of respect,  and not ju

There you go James i meet a lot of guys in viet nam and many of them were much better people then i ever was or hoped to be yet they died and i did not and many times i ask myself why/////////////////

JSL-USMC

I don't think there could be many. I was 11 when the war ended and I'm 78 now. Of course they will get claimants who carried water to the troops when they were 5. Besides, they were fighting for their country. Maybe the Philippines should give Americans, who fought here,  pensions/benefits.

Edited by JSL1934
  • Like 4
tom_shor

I don't think there could be many. I was 11 when the war ended and I'm 78 now. Of course they will get claimants who carried water to the troops when they were 5. Besides, they were fighting for their country. Maybe the Philippines should give Americans, who fought here,  pensions/benefits.

At that time the Philippines was part of the United States. Even children carrying water were at risk. When the Japanese would set up one of their ambushes on paths between villages they considered anyone they caught to be an insurgent. They shot them all before they moved on. (At least the lucky ones were shot)

• Like 2

It is good to see the US is trying to do the right thing....even if it's more than 66 years later.  You think they was stalling on this one?

Edited by Topper
bounder

At that time the Philippines was part of the United States. Even children carrying water were at risk. When the Japanese would set up one of their ambushes on paths between villages they considered anyone they caught to be an insurgent. They shot them all before they moved on. (At least the lucky ones were shot)

From what I have heard from several of the elderly women here on Negros, the Japanese would kill the young men of the village and then toss babies into the air,, skewing them on their bayonets.  Many families fled into the mountains and barely survived waiting for the Americans to return.  It seemed the Japanese relished in their brutality of the locals. . 

smokey

ITs always a one way street 

ed villas

for those who dont live here or not familiar w/ this situation.

may of these "ROLES" are fraud or padded w/one who never did anything.

when the locals in 44 heard they were returning, many then and only then JUMPED on the "bandwagon" to get their benefits,

the REAL HEROS are the 1's who died fighting against them and the 1's who took the offer in 45?46? to get the citizenship( mainly the former PS)  , also if i recall sometime on 46?48? some law passed . hardly-taft?smooth? that gave some benfits or passed the "BUCK" back to the rp government  

• Like 1
JSL-USMC

That's really justification. Don't you think then that the Japs should be giving them some benefits? The United States is doing the right thing ? Ha, the United States is doing the wrong thing again... kinda like giving old immigrants SS even tho they never worked in the US ,are contributed one thing. It's time the US gave the tax payer some benefits, but no, taxes go up so we can support other countries. Of the billions that the U.S. has sent to the Philippines do you think anyone ever said "let's give our veterans some of this". Shit no. They are all worried about how to get the gold on the airplane.

• Like 1
smokey

That's really justification. Don't you think then that the Japs should be giving them some benefits? The United States is doing the right thing ? Ha, the United States is doing the wrong thing again... kinda like giving old immigrants SS even tho they never worked in the US ,are contributed one thing. It's time the US gave the tax payer some benefits, but no, taxes go up so we can support other countries. Of the billions that the U.S. has sent to the Philippines do you think anyone ever said "let's give our veterans some of this". Shit no. They are all worried about how to get the gold on the airplane.

you mean like the general who kids were living in trump tower and got caught with 100,000 each at the airport... i heard they offered him a plea deal if he gave back half the money he could keep the rest 

JSL-USMC

My mother-in-law went to the US when she was 69, She now gets $440 a month and medical. She had diabetes when she went there. the family asked me to pay for her ticket...huh, in a pigs A'h''e I will. This about 4 years ago.

I don't think anyone on this forum owes my wife's mother squat, or the Filipino who fought for his country.And yes, my M.I.L. is a very nice lady and I'm sure that most of those Philippine Scouts are good people too, but that's all beside the point.

• Like 3
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Maybe if the Philippines granted any kind of real reciprocity regarding immigration / citizenship that the US grants to Filipinos I could look at this in a different light. Weren't they all offered an immigration deal before? There are homeless out of job hungry and disabled vets who fought in the war that hasn't ended yet. Lets get that sorted first. Otherwise its just international welfare crap that a politician in the US who has a HUGE constituency of Fil-Ams is trying to push down the throats of tax payers. No thanks. I'll pass.

• Like 3
JamesMusslewhite

They are not asking for handouts, rather they are only asking for what had been promised to them. It was Cebu fighters who discovered  Fukodome's plans for the defense of the Philippines after he was forced down during a storm, and then smuggled out these documents which probably saved our remaining fleet from being decimated and putting 200,000 of our US servicemen on the seafloor. These captured plans influenced Macarthur to change his Philippine landing plan from General Santos City to Leyte, if not we would have have floated our invasion forces into a trap. They fought along side our US troops even long after they were simply left here alone to fend for themselves. So I think they deserve what they were promised before we broke our word. Some boys really need to touch up on the history behind that promise. It only shows the Filipinos that the US word of honor is actually shit!

It is a small one time payment they earned and were promised. I would rather spend it on them than just waste it on white trailer-trash baby farmers, ghetto breeders, illegal aliens, and Hispanic anchor-babies who are constantly draining the US government tit....

http://www.ww2f.com/land-warfare-pacific/23318-philippine-guerilla-leaders.html

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 3
smokey

well james lets see who started the war Germany and japan so let them pay ,,, i agree with other posters just how hard would it of been for the Philippines to offer the same deal to the Americans that helped them defend their home country as Americans offered to them ,,,ONE way street 

mactanfamily

This situation is similar to slave reparations. If given, it opens the door legally to many other claims throughout the years.

Seriously, doesn't the US give away enough of our money? I'm so sick of it.

• Like 2
JamesMusslewhite

I sorry, I'm one of those type of people who believe one's word is a bond. You make a promise than you keep that promise. It is what defines you as being a righteous man worthy of respect,  and not just a lying self-serving punk... Our country made promises and then reneged on our word.

The US rebuilt Germany and Japan, while constantly shitting on the Philippines, and then Americans now seem to think they somehow owe us special favor and treatment? Bullshit, total bullshit. Macarthur would be ashamed of us now. America has no fecking honor left, we are now just a nation of punks. That is evident by some of the replies on this thread. Where is your honor? You do not have the right to even look a Filipino guerilla fighter in the eyes, because he should spit in your face. You are unworthy to stand in their presence. and have absolutely no right to look down on them. He was honorable and earned his right to look you in the eye, your just too stupid to realize you should turn your head away in shame. He proved his honor, we are the ones who have not.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 3