Sign in to follow this  
patch

Recovering corrupt data from external hard drive.

patch

Hi all.

I have an external hard drive with heaps of data, pics and info on it.

Basic story is that I plugged in the incorrect power supply, so all files have been corrupted.

The files can be recovered. I had it checked in Australia, but it was going to cost me like $800 to have it done.

Anyone know of anyone, preferably in or near Cebu, that does data recovery? I have asked all the obvious places (SST Laptop repairs in SM and Ayala, etc...) and they all look at me like I am a mutant. (I'm not... honest!!!)

Thanks in advance.

Patch.

miles-high

You may get some information from the link below:

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/classifieds+directory/q/data+recovery

I have never used any of them in the above link.

I have previous used KrollOntrack a few times (which google --- they are the people who recovered data from the fragmented HD’s of the accident space shuttle) but it would probably cost $800 or so for diagnosis (you may wish to use their “simplified” online recovery software which could be cheaper) --- actual recovery could cost a few thousand dollars if not more, depending on the amount of data involved.

They are good but expensive --- it all depends on how valuable your data is…

:nuke:

Monsoon

One thing you might want to clarify  - since you mentioned you plugged it into the wrong power supply - are you sure that the drive itself is 'corrupt'? It could be the power supply or related power circuitry that has a problem. The drive itself may be fine, and just need to be put into a different case and booted up.

• Like 1

Lordblacknail

You should be able to send it to the drive manufacturer in the states to do it for less than $200. I have one where the TOC is currupt and I am planning to do that. I checked into it earlier and those were the prices I was quoted.

David_LivinginTalisay

What is the make/model external HDD and what File Format is it using NTFS?

I suggest seatching for Forums that might be discussing this problem of wrong PSU. 

I doubt if the data got curruupted, more likely a fuse blew and the drive not powering any more.  Have you tried thre correct PSU since and chaecked if itis indeed giveing out 5V or whatever?

There are Data Recovery Software, but generally one for FAT formatted drives, another for NTFS.

It is also possible to access Drives from Linux  (try Puppy Linux Live CD!)

Jim Sibbick

Hi all.

Basic story is that I plugged in the incorrect power supply, so all files have been corrupted.

Patch.

How did you find a wrong outlet?

Australia and Philippines electricity is compatible except long term for electric motors, running on 60hz when they are designed for 50 hz

patch

Hi all.

Patch.

How did you find a wrong outlet?

Australia and Philippines electricity is compatible except long term for electric motors, running on 60hz when they are designed for 50 hz

Well, funny story... as luck would have it.... my computer, and the hard drive have exactly the same size plug (the end that goes into the device). I had to unplug them both, and when I went to plug them in, I didn't realise I had them "arse about face" untill I noticed my computer wasn't charging....

Seeing as how they require different power inputs... the computer survived, but the hard drive did not survive.

patch

One thing you might want to clarify  - since you mentioned you plugged it into the wrong power supply - are you sure that the drive itself is 'corrupt'? It could be the power supply or related power circuitry that has a problem. The drive itself may be fine, and just need to be put into a different case and booted up.

Yes, I am sure. I had it checked out by a guy in Aus before I moved here. Power supply is fine... all data is corrupt.

patch

What is the make/model external HDD and what File Format is it using NTFS?

I suggest seatching for Forums that might be discussing this problem of wrong PSU. 

I doubt if the data got curruupted, more likely a fuse blew and the drive not powering any more.  Have you tried thre correct PSU since and chaecked if itis indeed giveing out 5V or whatever?

There are Data Recovery Software, but generally one for FAT formatted drives, another for NTFS.

It is also possible to access Drives from Linux  (try Puppy Linux Live CD!)

I cant remember the brand of the box, but pretty sure it has Seagate internals. And I think it is NTFS, though not sure.

I didn't fiddle with it too much incase I touched something I didn't know anything about, and stuffied it totally. This sort of thing, I'd probably rather be safe than sorry, and let a professional do it.