Passport for the Baby

Wombat No More

6 months old...  At least you won't have the problem I had getting just the passport photo alone!  My child was only a few days old, born in Oz, and we needed an Aussie passport to get back to Cebu where we live.

Bloody hell, how long and how many pics did the guy have to take to get one with eyes open, mouth not, looking at the camera, no screwed up facial looks? It was quite a while and we just had to go with the best one we could. The passport office gave me a funny look when I gave in the paperwork but they took it after I said it was near impossible to get any better a shot.

• Like 1
SkyMan

"Register you kids birth (uk birth registration i think about p13,000 yes i know its steep but its important)" I believed that this was important as well until the embassy staff told me when I was applying for it that it was not needed and I could apply direct for the passport, so we applied for both passports without registration there and then and 5 weeks later we have the passports, saving the cost of registration.

Just curious, if you don't need the registration to get the passport, what's the purpose of registration?  What problem may arise somewhere down the road for a kid that isn't registered?

"Register you kids birth (uk birth registration i think about p13,000 yes i know its steep but its important)" I believed that this was important as well until the embassy staff told me when I was applying for it that it was not needed and I could apply direct for the passport, so we applied for both passports without registration there and then and 5 weeks later we have the passports, saving the cost of registration.

Just curious, if you don't need the registration to get the passport, what's the purpose of registration?  What problem may arise somewhere down the road for a kid that isn't registered?

I was told i did not need it as I am a UK passport holder. I suspect( I did not ask) that the registration process is used by those who cannot show that the sponsoring parent is a UK citizen.  If anyone is concerned about this then I suggest that they write the UK embassy direct and ask why they need to register etc

I was told i did not need it as I am a UK passport holder. I suspect( I did not ask) that the registration process is used by those who cannot show that the sponsoring parent is a UK citizen.  If anyone is concerned about this then I suggest that they write the UK embassy direct and ask why they need to register etc

We got our kids registered so they can have their UK birth certificate. We were also told it wasn't necessary to register but we thought it was a good idea, especially for their future. Would also be useful for them someday, like renewing their passport & for their kids.

Oh and another thing.... the requirements for passport & registering of birth are practically the same. The first time we registered, the requirements wasn't that tough. The latest we did, they added more requirements. Who know's they might require paternity test someday as a necessary requirement. lol

We also thought that since we still have all the necessary documents/paperworks, we might as well get it done, rather than there's a need for it someday & we've lost or there's now way we can comply with their requirements.

Yes if you require a UK Birth cert then registration is needed. We decided that as they were going to get a UK passport the Birth certificate part was not an issue.

For passport renewal you only have to provide the old passport and a copy of your birth certificate.  My Birth cert was issued outside the UK and its never been a problem for me at anytime and my Birth cert is as old as I am !!

trthebees

If you want a Philippine passport for the baby, it is relatively quick and easy.  We just had it done for our daughter last month.  We needed the NSO birthcertificate and NSO marriage certificate.  No appointment is necessary for baby.  We went to the DFA inside the Metro (Pacific Mall).  We were in and out in 30 minutes.  We paid for the express service and was able to pick up the passport two weeks later.  I think it was 1,200 php.  We didn't even have to bring a picture (as with the US passport) since they take the picture there.

I cannot give any advice on UK passport.

Just a word that may need verifying/updating. I understand from someone who has just been to the DFA that the Express processing is suspended and that delivery is now about 25 working days to Cebu.

If you want a Philippine passport for the baby, it is relatively quick and easy.  We just had it done for our daughter last month.  We needed the NSO birthcertificate and NSO marriage certificate.  No appointment is necessary for baby.  We went to the DFA inside the Metro (Pacific Mall).  We were in and out in 30 minutes.  We paid for the express service and was able to pick up the passport two weeks later.  I think it was 1,200 php.  We didn't even have to bring a picture (as with the US passport) since they take the picture there.

I cannot give any advice on UK passport.

Just a word that may need verifying/updating. I understand from someone who has just been to the DFA that the Express processing is suspended and that delivery is now about 25 working days to Cebu.

Things do change often.  We picked up our daughter's passport January 31st.  Thanks for the update.