Passport for the Baby

JohnSurrey

Hello ...

How do I get a passport for 6mth old baby ?

I'm UK citizen she is Filipina - we're married, have the birth certificate and live in Leyte...

Thanks

I'd suggest getting a Uk passport first, no idea on your citizenship laws but a child born to a male father outside the US is automatically a citizen I'd imagine something similar is true for UK, I've heard for US mothers its a different issue but no experience on that.

At any rate, take a week vacation up to Manila and go to your embassy, they'll help you out.  Bring pounds or euro's, whichever your embassy takes, as I'm sure you'll need some.

If you'd rather just get a philippine passport I'd imagine it would be cheaper but its up to you on that.

If you want a Philippine passport for the baby, it is relatively quick and easy.  We just had it done for our daughter last month.  We needed the NSO birthcertificate and NSO marriage certificate.  No appointment is necessary for baby.  We went to the DFA inside the Metro (Pacific Mall).  We were in and out in 30 minutes.  We paid for the express service and was able to pick up the passport two weeks later.  I think it was 1,200 php.  We didn't even have to bring a picture (as with the US passport) since they take the picture there.

I cannot give any advice on UK passport.

I assume that you wanted a passport the fastest way possible, since you asked about it in your other thread about the Bilikbayan run.  I would think that the Philippine passport would be faster to obtain than a UK passport.  With a Philippine passport, the baby could fly to HK with you and the wife for your Bilikbayan entry.

JohnSurrey

Yes - we just need a Philippine passport for the moment - Thanks for that

SkyMan

Looks like, from Steve's link) you'd have to do the UK passport in HK so maybe that's a good destination.  Make sure you find out all the requirments first.  Don't know how the UK feels about dual citz.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

I just did Uk passports for both of mine. You do not have to go to HK

Follow the guidlines given on the web page and you will have no problems.  I did that and emailed my appointment at the embassy and it was done there and sent to HK the passports arrived 5 weeks later from the UK. You do not have to go to the embassy you can send by express post all the documents needed just make sure you comply with their checklist and the numbers of copies you need. The fees are posted on the web page do not forget the costs of postage are per application even if you have more than one application on the same post!!

• Like 3
Skywalker

The UK has no problem with you having dual/multiple nationality.  I have had dual nationality (British/Irish) for many years.

when you leave the philippines you will want to be able to show a philippine passport otherwise they will want to see a visa for the child and you have all the problems with that.  for the case of the u.s., when you arrive in the u.s. they will want to see a u.s. passport, else you will need to have a visa.  in each case, citizenship itself is not the issue, proper documentation is.  if you are going to a country that, for a philippine citizen, does not require a visa, then all you need is the philippine passport so get that first.

however, don't delay too long in getting the u.k. passport.  should things go bad here for whatever reason or if something happens to you, the record of having that passport can be a big help to your child.

• Like 2
lazydays

however, don't delay too long in getting the u.k. passport. should things go bad here for whatever reason or if something happens to you, the record of having that passport can be a big help to your child.

I'm not sure but i think you have to register the birth with the UK Embassy first, then apply for passport.

[Others will know the procedure better than me, feel free to chip in]

No you do not have to register first I was going to do that and pay the fees and was told I did not need to and could apply for the passport without registration

• Like 1

Okay mate. Been there and done this all in the proper way.

This is exactly what you need to do.

1. First sort out your kids Philippines birth certificate and passport before you proceed with the processing at the UK embassy (otherwise if you apply for the uk docs first you may need to pay visa fees for your kid).

2. After finishing number one or during the process or submission of number one, Register you kids birth (uk birth registration i think about p13,000 yes i know its steep but its important) and apply for the passport (4-6,000 pesos cant remember now) at the same time.

Send all your stuff to the UK embassy in Manila and then will provide you with the UK issued birth registration document. They will then forward the passport application to hongkong which they will return to you in the philippines directly.

3. Dont forget to send some pics of your wifey when she was pregnant, hospital ultrasound scans, birth delivery receipts, bills and whatever you can scrape out to prove that its all genuine.

Check out the uk embassy website for other information.

good luck

Okay mate. Been there and done this all in the proper way.

This is exactly what you need to do.

1. First sort out your kids Philippines birth certificate and passport before you proceed with the processing at the UK embassy (otherwise if you apply for the uk docs first you may need to pay visa fees for your kid).

2. After finishing number one or during the process or submission of number one, Register you kids birth (uk birth registration i think about p13,000 yes i know its steep but its important) and apply for the passport (4-6,000 pesos cant remember now) at the same time.

Send all your stuff to the UK embassy in Manila and then will provide you with the UK issued birth registration document. They will then forward the passport application to hongkong which they will return to you in the philippines directly.

3. Dont forget to send some pics of your wifey when she was pregnant, hospital ultrasound scans, birth delivery receipts, bills and whatever you can scrape out to prove that its all genuine.

Check out the uk embassy website for other information.

good luck

"Register you kids birth (uk birth registration i think about p13,000 yes i know its steep but its important)" 

I believed that this was important as well until the embassy staff told me when I was applying for it that it was not needed and I could apply direct for the passport, so we applied for both passports without registration there and then and 5 weeks later we have the passports, saving the cost of registration.   The embassy are very good at screening your documents and are meticulous. everything they ask for including the xerox copies MUST be present.  Should you fail to provide all that is needed they will not send the papers to HK but will retain them until you have either sent what they ask for or lapse the application without refund if you do not adhere to their timetable.  We did everything they wanted first up so it sailed through no problems. 

Now that we have everything May I suggest that you do what we should have done etc. 

Scan all passport docs and the supporting official docs like birth cert, marriage certs etc for each person. I have included my driving license and 13A visa. we now have an online family album of our official papers that can be printed off anywhere in the world if we ever lose the originals etc

Edited by spooks
  • Like 1