Help Needed With Container House

SkyMan

I would search this site for previous threads on Container housing. This topic has come up in the past, and has yielded useful information for those inquiring.

sir you could you provide the links?

You know...the "search" function in LinC Forums is actually quite good.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/16027-container-housing/?hl=+container+construction

Except always having to change to search scope to forums from whatever it's default is for the page.  Usually 'pages' which I have no idea what that means and whatever it means never yields any results.

Edited by SkyMan
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• Headshot

• Brucewayne

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The OP is not looking for advice on whether or not to build a container house- he states he has already done that and made his decision.  He is honest about having no construction experience, but if s

you just move the little mouse thingy to the little box that says "search" and then you put the info in the other little box then you push your finger on the mouse thingy that makes the box get highli

This is about the only design I would use and the roof would be Cogon grass or nipa which means that the roof pitch would be a lot steeper then design below..About 45 Degrees or higher. Also large 2

Posted Images

I'm in the process of building a house (in Liloan).

My preference is for a container house, because its cheaper and durable.  However I do not know many people in Cebu,and hope someone out there can recommend individuals who could assist me.  Cutting the containers,inside installation, and foundation, the whole works.  I have a container dealer, just need it put together.

Many Thanks 4 you assistance

Cheers 

i am looking for a 20' container maybe you can hook me up.

Dalles

I have seen several of these started over the years and even a two story house, but I have as yet to see one completed.

Possibly the heat inside of them drove the workers away?

My preference is for a container house, because its cheaper and durable.  However I do not know many people in Cebu,and hope someone out there can recommend individuals who could assist me.  Cutting the containers,inside installation, and foundation, the whole works.  I have a container dealer, just need it put together.

Cheers 

there is a resort beside santa fe on Bantayan island that has quite a few (maybe 10-12) but i cannot remember the name  Dalles

Headshot

Cheers 

there is a resort beside santa fe on Bantayan island that has quite a few (maybe 10-12) but i cannot remember the name  Dalles

It is called Anika Island Resort. I would suggest that anybody considering this kind of construction go and spend a few nights there. We went there for three nights this week. I was going to take lots of pictures, but the tropical storm this week kind of killed that idea (put a real damper on our beach vacation too). However, being there during a tropical storm (with 50 mph sustained winds and heavy rain) really showed how sturdy they are. Talk with the manager, and find out who (contractor/engineer) built the resort. They will be able to give you actual costs and time schedules, and will be able to help with designs. That will give you more information on container construction than you will ever get on this site. Staying there will also give you the chance to take a lot of pictures of details, so you can use the bits that you like on your own house.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

When I was active In the Militias I often helped convert contains for communication rooms, underground gun vaults, or dwellings. Some of the best were incorporated with bio-earth works or planted into hill sides. One project the slab was poured and cinderblock was used for the sides with a concrete deck on top these were 4 40'x8'x8' containers laid side by side. The inside was cool comfortable and quite as a tomb inside, with a stairwell from the inside to the roof and one stairwell leading down to two containers 20'x8'x8' buried with light plywood side forms constructed and then solid pour concrete sides as a basement area and game room. The two 20 footers were lowered onto a sub slab then the sides poured and then the floor slab was poured over the roof of the basement. It was an incredibly strong dwelling with great floor space. There was a 20'x 16' basement with 8 foot ceilings, a 40'x32' with 8 foot ceiling first floor, with a 40'x32' concrete deck top with a metal roof covering the whole upper deck. A very small AC unit and ceiling fans kept all the rooms very comfortable,

I have seen 6 40-foot containers laid side by side and stacked 3 high, when it was finished it was huge inside with plenty of stain glass windows, French doors, and 3 levels of balconies in the front and in the rear. the forth floor was a deck. the deck was build out of flat tin like a carport roof, wire mesh and risers were laid and then concrete was poured to about 4 inched in depth. It was incredible when done. it could endure a direct hit by a tornado or the strongest hurricane. All the containers were welded together and each floor welded to the next.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

Hello

Alittle advise,if I was you and bought containers,I first thing I;d do is rip the flooring out and replace it.

Over the years no telling what was carried and spilled in it.I work on ships and have seen lots of leaking ,nasty stuff.

Regards 

George

Have you looked into what it will take to transport the containers? What will it cost and is trasnpotation for them even available to where you want them? I agree with others on the heat issue.

Edited by tomaw
Headshot

Have you looked into what it will take to transport the containers? What will it cost and is trasnpotation for them even available to where you want them? I agree with others on the heat issue.

Transporting containers in the Philippines is no problem. There are container trucks everywhere here. You could take them to any island that is served by a truck ferry. The only thing you would need out of the ordinary would be a crane to lift them from the trucks and into place on whatever foundation you use, but I'm sure cranes (adequate for lifting containers) are available on all of the larger islands and could be transported by ferry to many of the smaller islands.

The containers that have been made into buildings at Anika Island Resort are raised up on concrete piers about three feet above the ground, and the area under them is left clear. The resort was built in a coconut grove, and most of the coconut trees were left in place to provide shade for the buildings. Therefore, because of the breeze under them and the shade over them, they are quite cool...and and that is even with the fact that they haven't been all that well insulated. Even though they have air conditioners, if you leave the windows open and the screens closed, there is plenty of breeze to keep them cool most of the time without the air conditioning on.

One note...because they have customers running around, Anika Island Resort keeps the coconut-bearing stems pruned off the trees so nobody gets a surprise from above. You could achieve the same shade using any kind of trees (that wouldn't drop heavy objects on the people below). It really is worth a visit to Anika Island Resort if you are interested in container construction.

Edited by Headshot
Headshot

Here is some dimensional and weight information that may be of help to anybody thinking about designing a house using containers.

Sea Containers 1.pdf

Edited by Headshot
Davaoeno

Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

[#10171]

You do not have permission to view this attachment.

Headshot

Sea Container Sizes (in feet)

20' Standard

Outside Length   19.84'

Inside Length      19.35'

Outside Width     8'

Inside Width        7.71'

Outside Height    8.5'

Inside Height       7.8'

Tare Weight        5,204 lbs.

40' Standard

Outside Length   40'

Inside Length      39.39'

Outside Width     8'

Outside Height    8.5'

Inside Height       7.8'

Tare Weight        8,776 lbs.

40' Hi-Cube

Outside Length   40'

Inside Length      39.39'

Outside Width     8'

Outside Height    9.5'

Inside Height       8.82'

Tare Weight        9,150 lbs.

Thelandofku-an

The only thing you would need out of the ordinary would be a crane to lift them from the trucks and into place on whatever foundation you use, but I'm sure cranes (adequate for lifting containers) are available on all of the larger islands and could be transported by ferry to many of the smaller islands.

I have seen leg jacks that can slotted in (if the container is on a proper trailer and not a flatbed) and used to raise the container allowing the truck to drive out from underneath. This equipment can't be used for stacking containers on top of each other.

Have you looked at securing aluminum containers/site office, a friend of mine bought these from japan for a beach house more than a decade ago and put them on concrete piles about a metre high, they still look just as good today!

• 1 month later...
Thelandofku-an

Thought you guys would appreciate what I rode past in Dumaguete today so I whizzed back and snapped it still under construction.

Construction: 6x shipping container.

Location: Main downtown shopping street alongside Veterans Bank!

post-14235-0-17107900-1364622747_thumb.jpg

post-14235-0-67332200-1364622768_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thelandofku-an!
  • Like 1