Help Needed With Container House

and the roof would be Cogon grass or nipa

I tell ya, Fred, in my personal opinion, the Cogon would look MUCH nicer than the Nipa, on the roof. I don't know which would actually last longer, though, as I am not experienced in that. But, for the aesthetic value of the home, that's my suggestion.

Cogon is supposed to last longer if its done right and netted..Up to 25 years.

The problem with cogon is that its a lot more expensive and then the birds pull it out for nesting materials just about everyday..Believe it or not its not long before holes appear.

Nightmare!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• Headshot

• Brucewayne

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The OP is not looking for advice on whether or not to build a container house- he states he has already done that and made his decision.  He is honest about having no construction experience, but if s

you just move the little mouse thingy to the little box that says "search" and then you put the info in the other little box then you push your finger on the mouse thingy that makes the box get highli

This is about the only design I would use and the roof would be Cogon grass or nipa which means that the roof pitch would be a lot steeper then design below..About 45 Degrees or higher. Also large 2

Posted Images

I agree they look like trailers in their original condition but that can be changed by welding/stacking.

You might be a redneck, if you helped your rich brother take the wheels off his house.

Then what you are saying is, they have the containers covered in bamboo and an added section in the middle?

Now that I look at it again, I think that is what is going on there.

I just took it for granted that they cut the ends out of two units to add the glass ends.

There are, if you search online, a number of sites offering plans for container type housing. I do not recall, but some links may have been posted in previous threads on this site.

Personally, I still like the Monolithic Dome idea, for a home. Strong as hell.

Brucewayne

I agree they look like trailers in their original condition but that can be changed by welding/stacking.

You might be a redneck, if you helped your rich brother take the wheels off his house.

>Then what you are saying is, they have the containers covered in bamboo and an added section in the middle?

Now that I look at it again, I think that is what is going on there.

I just took it for granted that they cut the ends out of two units to add the glass ends.

There are, if you search online, a number of sites offering plans for container type housing. I do not recall, but some links may have been posted in previous threads on this site.

Personally, I still like the Monolithic Dome idea, for a home. Strong as hell.

The problem is, how do you use all of the space?

I mean, it seems there would be a lot of wasted space because of it being round, but then again, no need to heat it and if it isn't air conditioned, I guess the extra space would come in handy and wouldn't cost you anything.

Brucewayne

So far, this is the least expensive unit I can find at P60,000 and they go on to P90,000 and even P155,000 for a 20' container.

I think my steel house with insulation and hardiflex would be less expensive at approximately P1,500 per 4'x8' sections.

At the very least, the container would cost about P1,000 per 1'x8' of wall before you even consider coverings and insulation.

SkyMan

Just remember to click on "forums" on the left side of the screen when doing a search. Mine keeps resetting to "members" for some reason....so when I look up a topic I would get no results. Made a world of a difference when I realized mine wasn't searching "forums"

This depends on where you are on the site, at the time you are going to use the search. For example, click on the member's list. then look at the search. Click to go to the portal, then view the search. Click to view the forums index page, then view the search. Click to go to a specific thread in a forum, then view the search. See what I mean, man? Predictive and automatic.

HTH

I wish the default would be FORUMS no mater where you are.  I've never found anything when I searched 'pages' by mistake (whatever pages means).  I think most people are thinking the search will search the whole forum and won't change it to something else unless they specifically want something else.

I wish the default would be FORUMS no mater where you are.  I've never found anything when I searched 'pages' by mistake (whatever pages means).  I think most people are thinking the search will search the whole forum and won't change it to something else unless they specifically want something else.

I can see it being useful the way it is. For example, view "View New Content" results. Then, look along the left side of the page. You see the different parameters you can change, which will alter the results on that page? It is all part of the search engine, which is set up for the entire forum software.

The problem is, how do you use all of the space?

I mean, it seems there would be a lot of wasted space because of it being round, but then again, no need to heat it and if it isn't air conditioned, I guess the extra space would come in handy and wouldn't cost you anything.

I am happy to give up a bit of space, for a structure that will withstand earthquakes and typhoons, the typical weather patterns of the Philippines.

Headshot

I would search this site for previous threads on Container housing. This topic has come up in the past, and has yielded useful information for those inquiring.

sir you could you provide the links?

You know...the "search" function in LinC Forums is actually quite good.

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/16027-container-housing/?hl=+container+construction

I would search this site for previous threads on Container housing. This topic has come up in the past, and has yielded useful information for those inquiring.

sir you could you provide the links?

You don't know how to use the search feature (engine) on this site? Just type in something like "container house", or variations thereof.

I installed this software. Steve and I update it, and the modifications for the site. I provide all of the hosting for the site. Now, you want me to find the information within this site, for you, as well?

Just remember to click on "forums" on the left side of the screen when doing a search. Mine keeps resetting to "members" for some reason....so when I look up a topic I would get no results.  Made a world of a difference when I realized mine wasn't searching "forums"

mine is always set on members also-- took my dumb ass about a dozen fruitless searches before I caught the setting

mine is always set on members also-- took my dumb ass about a dozen fruitless searches before I caught the setting

You aren't as dumb as you thought.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I appreciate everyone's feedback, however I have done all the research, and looking for someone to construct it, as I have no experience in constructions.  I been here 12 years straight, and well aware of cost/heat/etc  I will go generator during brownouts (regardless if its a container house).  If someone has a fabricator and a contractor who could be trusted, please recommend them.  Thats all i'm really looking for.  In terms of a container house being ugly..I think it depends on how far you are willing to go.  The pic is what I plan on putting in place 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8467275747/

FYI - I've stolen your picture for future reference. :-)

I think its a very cool layout and usage of the containers. You've given me an idea for an option of what to do in developing a 'hobby farm' property I've had my eye on for some time. Coincidentally it will be convenient for me to acquire and transport as many containers as I need to that particular block of land.

I hope you will disregard the nay sayers here and give us updates on your project as you actualize it. I'm sure I am not alone in wanting to see pics of your progress.

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

So far, this is the least expensive unit I can find at P60,000 and they go on to P90,000 and even P155,000 for a 20' container.

I think my steel house with insulation and hardiflex would be less expensive at approximately P1,500 per 4'x8' sections.

At the very least, the container would cost about P1,000 per 1'x8' of wall before you even consider coverings and insulation.

Not sure what your using for your total costed calculations - but if you haven't built anything here in the Philippines you might want to have a second look at your estimates. I haven't built anything from scratch, but I have had a few projects like remodeling and gutting the inside and rebuilding from plans done. Nothing ever happened on time and as planned and this wasn't even a build from scratch. Im no construction guy, so I'm sure someone reading this who is an 'expert' in that field will call rubbish. But I do know people who make their living in construction and despite their being on the job site most waking hours, still had less hair than they started with - and less money as well - than budgeted for.

When I look at these container concepts I am seeing just how many less man hours I will require from local labor. Its not about the 'per hour cost' - to me its about the true cost.

Just sayin

Brucewayne

Not sure what your using for your total costed calculations - but if you haven't built anything here in the Philippines you might want to have a second look at your estimates. I haven't built anything from scratch, but I have had a few projects like remodeling and gutting the inside and rebuilding from plans done. Nothing ever happened on time and as planned and this wasn't even a build from scratch. Im no construction guy, so I'm sure someone reading this who is an 'expert' in that field will call rubbish. But I do know people who make their living in construction and despite their being on the job site most waking hours, still had less hair than they started with - and less money as well - than budgeted for.

When I look at these container concepts I am seeing just how many less man hours I will require from local labor. Its not about the 'per hour cost' - to me its about the true cost.

Just sayin

Cal it rubbish all you want, unless you can find those containers for less than P60,000 per 20' unit, you will be paying P1,000 per linear foot.

Yes, I have built here several times and I am talking basic wall vs basic wall.

P1,000 per linear foot before you insulate or even begin to add wall covering versus P1,500 for a 4' linear section is a no brainer for anyone.

All I was trying to point out is that the folks who sell these containers already know what we want them for and are more than willing to inflate the price to an unreasonable amount.

I said nothing against the construction this whole time, other than asking about heat and I am not a naysayer, I simply am trying to find out how one can build for less money using these containers.

Edited by Brucewayne

I hope you will disregard the nay sayers here and give us updates on your project as you actualize it. I'm sure I am not alone in wanting to see pics of your progress.

I agree. I think they (sea containers) are a good option, in a number of areas, and cheap to work with.

A friend, who lives in southern Cebu Province, has one set up as a workshop. He even has air-con in it for those really hot days.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Just sayin

Cal it rubbish all you want, unless you can find those containers for less than P60,000 per 20' unit, you will be paying P1,000 per linear foot.

Yes, I have built here several times and I am talking basic wall vs basic wall.

P1,000 per linear foot before you insulate or even begin to add wall covering versus P1,500 for a 4' linear section is a no brainer for anyone.

All I was trying to point out is that the folks who sell these containers already know what we want them for and are more than willing to inflate the price to an unreasonable amount.

I said nothing against the construction this whole time, other than asking about heat and I am not a naysayer, I simply am trying to find out how one can build for less money using these containers.

You misunderstood me, or more so my writing was lacking. I was trying to say Im sure that someone here who is an expert on construction will call rubbish to the point I was trying to make not to anything you said. Someone would all rubbish to my thinking that  there would be considerable savings in getting a shell delivered to your property vs. calling in a bunch of local 'craftsmen' and having them build from scratch.

Heck you could even have the container delivered to a proper fabricating place where they cut holes and fab metal all day long then have the pre-fabbed unit delivered to your property for the end result. That's the kind of advantages I see in this. Especially in cases where a guy is looking to put a nice sturdy liveable dwelling up somewhere and isn't interested in spending all of his waking hours managing the actualization of said dwelling. I'm not interested in becoming an expert on construction, but at the same time nobody likes  getting dry set with no reach around when trying to get things done by 'skilled trades'. Especially in this country. And the places I would consider implementing this type of construction - god help us if there would be power for 8 hours a day lets not mention the people being called 'carpenters' who don't even own a hammer.  

I also like the idea that you could really shutter the thing up and leave a fortress behind when your not there. Like someone else mentioned - thieves bring your plasma torch, and they can have the friggin bamboo furniture and spoiled buko juice I will leave behind when Im not there.

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1
JasonEcos

Ever considered buying a plasma cutter to do the cutting yourself?  I have one (but its in the US at the moment) and it is almost as simple as drawing a line....and nearly as fast.  You can pick one up for under $400 brand new.