Help Needed With Container House

their is one on camotes 6 boxes and it is strong weather doesnt touch it  looks ok and the inside was done with local  workers went up fast and cheap if i was starting now thats the way i would go.good luck :db:

• Like 1
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• Headshot

• Brucewayne

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The OP is not looking for advice on whether or not to build a container house- he states he has already done that and made his decision.  He is honest about having no construction experience, but if s

you just move the little mouse thingy to the little box that says "search" and then you put the info in the other little box then you push your finger on the mouse thingy that makes the box get highli

This is about the only design I would use and the roof would be Cogon grass or nipa which means that the roof pitch would be a lot steeper then design below..About 45 Degrees or higher. Also large 2

Posted Images

Davaoeno

If you have done the research then you know how much the total cost is. mind telling? I don't know you and I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if you really want to go cheap, then just build with bamboo and nipa. Cooler, faster, cheaper, prettier and larger. There is a reason why there are so few container houses around the world. They are a nice gimmick but completely impracticable and expensive. Great for a yahoo news story along with living in an old 747. 

With the price of scrap, you could probably scrap the container and then build a much better concrete house with the money. No offense, but you say you have no experience in construction, and it is showing with your plan

The OP is not looking for advice on whether or not to build a container house- he states he has already done that and made his decision.  He is honest about having no construction experience, but if someone made the above comment to me I would very much take offense . You do NOT need construction experience in deciding what to build - all you need is the ability to do your due diligence, and then find someone with construction experience to build it - and that is what he is doing !!!

• Like 7
Brucewayne

I appreciate everyone's feedback, however I have done all the research, and looking for someone to construct it, as I have no experience in constructions.  I been here 12 years straight, and well aware of cost/heat/etc  I will go generator during brownouts (regardless if its a container house).  If someone has a fabricator and a contractor who could be trusted, please recommend them.  Thats all i'm really looking for.  In terms of a container house being ugly..I think it depends on how far you are willing to go.  The pic is what I plan on putting in place 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8467275747/

This looks really nice, but if you will notice, most of the container appears to have been replaced and that means you could use steel beams, glass and hardiflex instead and of course the bamboo shown in the pic as well.

I like the way this place was laid out for the most part and if you know who built lt and can share, I sure would like to contact them.

Headshot

I appreciate everyone's feedback, however I have done all the research, and looking for someone to construct it, as I have no experience in constructions.  I been here 12 years straight, and well aware of cost/heat/etc  I will go generator during brownouts (regardless if its a container house).  If someone has a fabricator and a contractor who could be trusted, please recommend them.  Thats all i'm really looking for.  In terms of a container house being ugly..I think it depends on how far you are willing to go.  The pic is what I plan on putting in place 

This looks really nice, but if you will notice, most of the container appears to have been replaced and that means you could use steel beams, glass and hardiflex instead and of course the bamboo shown in the pic as well.

I like the way this place was laid out for the most part and if you know who built lt and can share, I sure would like to contact them.

Where do you see that most of the container has been replaced in that picture? There are two containers running parallel with living space in between (with glass ends on the center living space). It appears to me that the containers are pretty much intact, and therefore would still have their structural integrity. I have seen container ships with fully-loaded containers stacked about ten-high, so they definitely have a lot of load-bearing structural strength. It also looks to me like where they have installed windows in the containers themselves; they used round windows, which would damage the containers' structural strength the least. All-in-all, this appears to be a very structurally-sound house. Container houses probably wouldn't work out for everybody, but if you are OK with fairly narrow bedrooms, it would be fine. The containers would certainly support the weight of the roof with no problem (even if you cut door and window openings in them). If they have blown out the inside wall of the container on the left side of the picture to make the rooms on that side wider (which they may have), then some structural reinforcement would be in order.

Edited by Headshot
ed villas

I would search this site for previous threads on Container housing. This topic has come up in the past, and has yielded useful information for those inquiring.

sir you could you provide the links?

smokey

Where do you see that most of the container has been replaced in that picture? There are two containers running parallel with living space in between with glass ends. It appears to me that the containers are pretty much intact, and therefore would still have their structural integrity. I have seen container ships with fully-loaded containers stacked about ten-high, so they definitely have a lot of load-bearing structural strength. It also looks to me like where they have installed windows in the containers themselves; they used round windows, which would damage the containers' structural strength the least. All-in-all, this appears to be a very structurally-sound house. Container houses probably wouldn't work out for everybody, but if you are OK with fairly narrow bedrooms, it would be fine. The containers would certainly support the weight of the roof with no problem (even if you cut door and window openings in them). If they have blown out the inside wall of the container on the left side of the picture to make the rooms on that side wider (which they may have), then some structural reinforcement would be in order.

Yep they are narrow reminds me of my GF  Betty sue carter she lived in one it was in the city just down the second dirt road on the left of the piggly wiggly market ,, yep it was one of the fancy single wide units you know with the bathroom and the kitchen in the same place to save space

Davaoeno

I would search this site for previous threads on Container housing. This topic has come up in the past, and has yielded useful information for those inquiring.

you just move the little mouse thingy to the little box that says "search" and then you put the info in the other little box then you push your finger on the mouse thingy that makes the box get highlighted then voila - you have what you want ! 

Does your mommy turn the computer on for you in the morning ?

• Like 3
smokey

you just move the little mouse thingy to the little box that says "search" and then you put the info in the other little box then you push your finger on the mouse thingy that makes the box get highlighted then voila - you have what you want ! 

Does your mommy turn the computer on for you in the morning ?

man your grumpy these days i guess with both GF getting fixed at the Goodyear Store home life is rough

• Like 1

You don't know how to use the search feature (engine) on this site? Just type in something like "container house", or variations thereof.

I installed this software. Steve and I update it, and the modifications for the site. I provide all of the hosting for the site. Now, you want me to find the information within this site, for you, as well?

• Like 2
JasonEcos

You don't know how to use the search feature (engine) on this site? Just type in something like "container house", or variations thereof.

I installed this software. Steve and I update it, and the modifications for the site. I provide all of the hosting for the site. Now, you want me to find the information within this site, for you, as well?

Just remember to click on "forums" on the left side of the screen when doing a search. Mine keeps resetting to "members" for some reason....so when I look up a topic I would get no results.  Made a world of a difference when I realized mine wasn't searching "forums"

This is about the only design I would use and the roof would be Cogon grass or nipa which means that the roof pitch would be a lot steeper then design below..About 45 Degrees or higher.

Also large 2 meter soffits to keep the heat off the walls..(unlike picture below)

Built like that with good roof ventilation and it will be cooler than your average concrete house..

How much did you pay for a 40ft container?

bamboogroves-2.jpg

bamboogroves-1.jpg

Edited by fred42
  • Like 3

Just remember to click on "forums" on the left side of the screen when doing a search. Mine keeps resetting to "members" for some reason....so when I look up a topic I would get no results. Made a world of a difference when I realized mine wasn't searching "forums"

This depends on where you are on the site, at the time you are going to use the search. For example, click on the member's list. then look at the search. Click to go to the portal, then view the search. Click to view the forums index page, then view the search. Click to go to a specific thread in a forum, then view the search. See what I mean, man? Predictive and automatic.

HTH

• Like 1

and the roof would be Cogon grass or nipa

I tell ya, Fred, in my personal opinion, the Cogon would look MUCH nicer than the Nipa, on the roof. I don't know which would actually last longer, though, as I am not experienced in that. But, for the aesthetic value of the home, that's my suggestion.

JasonEcos

Just remember to click on "forums" on the left side of the screen when doing a search. Mine keeps resetting to "members" for some reason....so when I look up a topic I would get no results. Made a world of a difference when I realized mine wasn't searching "forums"

This depends on where you are on the site, at the time you are going to use the search. For example, click on the member's list. then look at the search. Click to go to the portal, then view the search. Click to view the forums index page, then view the search. Click to go to a specific thread in a forum, then view the search. See what I mean, man? Predictive and automatic.

HTH

Ok, I see what you mean.  The "problem" (which really wasn't a problem) was that most of my time spent here is on the main page  ( http://www.livingincebuforums.com/page/portal.html ) that appears when I type in the websites link.  I was wrong that it automatically searched "members" it was searching "pages"....when I thought it was searching "forums". Some people may do the same thing and think theres no posts on the subject searched for.  No big deal, just pay attention to the box.

It's a good system,  just not idiot proof....as I demonstrated :D

To get on topic:  I personally like the idea of container houses. As long as they are properly setup they shouldn't be any hotter than a typical house. I agree they look like trailers in their original condition but that can be changed by welding/stacking. You can have them as wide as you want with 30' ceilings. They can also be quite strong and stormproof. Although I would coat the heck out of it with a rust preventative.....stuff here rusts so quickly.

I have a friend with one and in his area he doesn't have to pay increased tax because its not considered a permanent structure...thats a nice potential benefit.

Brucewayne

Where do you see that most of the container has been replaced in that picture? There are two containers running parallel with living space in between with glass ends. It appears to me that the containers are pretty much intact, and therefore would still have their structural integrity. I have seen container ships with fully-loaded containers stacked about ten-high, so they definitely have a lot of load-bearing structural strength. It also looks to me like where they have installed windows in the containers themselves; they used round windows, which would damage the containers' structural strength the least. All-in-all, this appears to be a very structurally-sound house. Container houses probably wouldn't work out for everybody, but if you are OK with fairly narrow bedrooms, it would be fine. The containers would certainly support the weight of the roof with no problem (even if you cut door and window openings in them). If they have blown out the inside wall of the container on the left side of the picture to make the rooms on that side wider (which they may have), then some structural reinforcement would be in order.

Then what you are saying is, they have the containers covered in bamboo and an added section in the middle?

Now that I look at it again, I think that is what is going on there.

I just took it for granted that they cut the ends out of two units to add the glass ends.