Help Needed With Container House

I'm in the process of building a house (in Liloan).

My preference is for a container house, because its cheaper and durable.  However I do not know many people in Cebu,and hope someone out there can recommend individuals who could assist me.  Cutting the containers,inside installation, and foundation, the whole works.  I have a container dealer, just need it put together.

Many Thanks 4 you assistance

Cheers 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• Headshot

• Brucewayne

• Thelandofku-an

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The OP is not looking for advice on whether or not to build a container house- he states he has already done that and made his decision.  He is honest about having no construction experience, but if s

you just move the little mouse thingy to the little box that says "search" and then you put the info in the other little box then you push your finger on the mouse thingy that makes the box get highli

This is about the only design I would use and the roof would be Cogon grass or nipa which means that the roof pitch would be a lot steeper then design below..About 45 Degrees or higher. Also large 2

Posted Images

Brucewayne

I have seen several of these started over the years and even a two story house, but I have as yet to see one completed.

Possibly the heat inside of them drove the workers away?

I have read many comments about the heat.  But I sleep during the day, so the aircon will be on regardless.  The area is wooded, and a large hill on one side.  So direct sunlight would be very minimal.  I decided on containers because so far it "seems" cheaper and also no doubt its more secure (not many thieves walking around with plasma cutters these days)

Because I wanted to start in March, I may have no other option but to go with the more traditional house construction  

Anika resort on Batayan Island is made mostly from containers. Maybe they could point you the right direction. Just Google "Anika resort". There are images on Google too.

• Like 2
RogerDat

Greetings! I have seen several buisnesses here made the office from a container, no house so far. make sure the floor area is not rusted. The surplus containers were retired because of dammage of some kind that was not cheap to fix. Also there is a glut of them world wide.

Use roll form steel for the inside framing, in install foam insulation. You MUST put a roof that will drain water, and use foil/foam roll insulation there. (raident barrior)

P:aint it with car paint, and it will last almost forever.

Cebu Home and builders, Mactan, seer Mr. Poe, he can hook you up with weverything needed. Speaks english good, and understands western building practices. 8'x4'x2" foam goes for p358 sheet, I have contact for this, it is half price compaired to all the others I checked on.

For Real

The Only other thing to watch is that the container is actually yours after you buy it. Check it for markings, get a notarised deed of sale. Many containers have gone missing in Cebu (normally by those who are responsible for their care) & companies like Sulphicio have no sense of humour when it comes to reclaiming their stolen goods 

I would search this site for previous threads on Container housing. This topic has come up in the past, and has yielded useful information for those inquiring.

mactanfamily

Power is expensive here. You will be wasting money. Not to mention the brownouts when you will cook yourself. Insulated or not, its still a steel box. Build with 3d EVG panel. Fast and easy and it will pay back the cost in Kw hours run on the aircon. Locals DO know how to plaster cement. 2pac car paint is a fortune and even that will rust through eventually. If you really do the math, it is not economically feasible. Plus its ugly as sin.

Then again if its your dream house and cost is not a concern... well good luck.

• Like 1

I've seen a few studies on these and most seem to say after all is said and done turning cargo containers into houses really doesn't save any money.  If I was going to do it I'd cover the roof in solar panels to prevent concerns about brownouts and keep some of the sun from beating down on the roof...

I've lived in trailers and without A/C on those things turn into freaking ovens, I can't imagine what a steel container like that would be like.

Although one thing I've been curious about is how rust proof are the containers?  ie could you bury 4-5 of them connected to each other and only have one container on top for an entryway?  Seems like that would solve some of the radiant heat issues and help for the zombie apocalypse. 

• Like 1
SkyMan

I looked into it for a garage and the containers I could find seemed expensive.  So I went with concrete slab, coco and bamboo walls, steel roof.  Pretty cheap and strong.

smokey

Although one thing I've been curious about is how rust proof are the containers?  ie could you bury 4-5 of them connected to each other and only have one container on top for an entryway?  Seems like that would solve some of the radiant heat issues and help for the zombie apocalypse. 

would it not be cheaper to find a mountain and make a house out of a cave ... ... this is getting to be so Gilligan 

I appreciate everyone's feedback, however I have done all the research, and looking for someone to construct it, as I have no experience in constructions.  I been here 12 years straight, and well aware of cost/heat/etc  I will go generator during brownouts (regardless if its a container house).  If someone has a fabricator and a contractor who could be trusted, please recommend them.  Thats all i'm really looking for.  In terms of a container house being ugly..I think it depends on how far you are willing to go.  The pic is what I plan on putting in place 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/8467275747/

Headshot

I would recommend Ben Simbajon of BS Simbajon Construction. He's good and he's honest and his people are good too. His office is in Carmen Villiage in Talisay City (a few blocks off the SRP Road). Since I don't know where you are planning to build, I don't know if this would be a good fit for you. Ben was the civil engineer for the SM City Mall project. His company mostly does commercial work, but he does houses as well. If you are interested, say so and I will PM you Ben's contact information.

Edited by Headshot
mactanfamily

If you have done the research then you know how much the total cost is. mind telling? I don't know you and I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but if you really want to go cheap, then just build with bamboo and nipa. Cooler, faster, cheaper, prettier and larger. There is a reason why there are so few container houses around the world. They are a nice gimmick but completely impracticable and expensive. Great for a yahoo news story along with living in an old 747. 

With the price of scrap, you could probably scrap the container and then build a much better concrete house with the money. No offense, but you say you have no experience in construction, and it is showing with your plan. 

• Like 2