Locally bought Pedigree dog food unsafe for dogs?

We suspect it's S&R dog food that's causing illness to our (8) dogs.  Two have since died in a span of less than 2 months.  Young schnauzer died of liver cancer.   Upon closer look at the beef pro contents:  21% protein.  Three more are ill and are now on special diet.  Vet said it could very well be the dog food..

Not sure if I understand.  Is 21% protein a problem?  That seems to be more or less what all the dog foods claim.  I was using their dog food for a couple of years for my 4 dogs without problems.  I now live in Leyte so I'm buying Pedigree.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Mike

• Brucewayne

• Siuk

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just today i had 3 pieces of bacon and 2 eggs and two pieces of costco raisin  bread toast. but i told my wife to only let kenneth have 2 pieces of bacon and no eggs but use lite butter on his toast 

The dog food I have seen here is crap and very expensive.  I personally do not feed my dogs anything that is not fit for human consumption.  They eat a mixture of fresh cooked rice and sardines twice

I live with a working dog. I can go into his titles and qualifications if anyone is interested. But he was since shortly after weaning been on the BARF diet. Dogs are carnivores. Commercial dog food h

Posted Images

Thanks for your input.  We've gone back to buying from Caminade - this time Optima brand.  We do mix up dog food with rice, vegies and pork bones and fish.  This is the first time that we have experienced dietary problems.  We have had large breed dogs and fed them w/ saw dust that house staff cooked.  We never had problems with those.  

I suggest you switch to the Vitality brand, which is imported from Australia. Although I don't feed it to my dogs constantly, I do occasionally buy a 15kg sack of Vitality High energy as an addition to their food to keep it interesting.  I have been on-off using it here since 2008 when I bought my first dobermann and have no complaints.  You can always tell the better quality foods by the state of the dogs toilet. Pedigree (in my experience anyway) the toilet is overly soft, usually a splat.  Perfect poo with Vitality.

I've lived with around 20 dogs my entire life, always been a few around and up to 7, and what I have noticed is many end up going blind or having diabetes. I would attribute this to the expensive processed dog food being fed to them.  I feed my dogs mainly fresh pork, brown rice, squash and other vegetables, and as noted sometimes include a little Vitality to mix it up. Or I'll just give them a large pork rib each to crack up and eat.  With eight dogs that might be a little expensive though, but it is far more healthy for them. I only have two now.

Sorry for the loss of your dogs. My dogs recently caught a viral or bacterial infection and suffered diarrhea.  My 2.5 year old dobermann male died from complications two days after we (with help from vet) managed to solve the diarrhea problem. Still don't know and never will know what caused him to die, it wasn't dehydration. He died on the 25th last month, so still very fresh in my mind and still hurts.

• 3 weeks later...
LifeofRiley

Can any-one tell me where to purchase Vitality brand please, preferably in large bags.

Can any-one tell me where to purchase Vitality brand please, preferably in large bags.

Any decent vet should be able to order it for you, if they don't stock it.  I think it only comes in large bags.  15kg for the puppy/working dog and 20kg for the regular adult.

I grew up on a farm with many dogs. Their food used to be soup bones boiled with broken rice + table scraps - they thrived on it with no health issues whatsoever. 

There's a lot of funky stuff coming out of China these days....

I had a Dalmatian here. Very unhealthy dog. Spent over 40k in vet bills trying to keep it healthy. (mainly skin issues but had MANY other problems) Ended up having to put it down due to it losing a fight and getting a hole in its head and maggots getting in her head. Diet was a constant struggle, was a VERY picky eater. Impossible to get her to gain any weight.

Got a local mutt pup about 6 months ago. They are indestructible with a minimal amount of maintenance. The thing would eat a concrete block if I put it in his bowl with a bit of rice. Freaking garbage disposal. I feed him scraps and rice and give some cheap local dog food with more rice when he won't shut up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Your better off giving dogs raw bones. Cooked.bones changes the molecular structure and they become brittle. My dog has eaten hundreds of raw chickens. He ate a diet of bones and raw food since he was a puppy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I don't seem to have any uncooked bones laying around the house for some reason. What are you doing at home?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by Wrye83
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I don't seem to have any uncooked bones laying around the house for some reason. What are you doing at home?Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Filled.my freezer with them. They.are available in every supermarket here.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Pedigree, Purina or Alpo are not good brands regardless where you are. It's like giving a human Macdonalds everyday. The quality dog foods are not sold in the Supermarket. It's the same in the US. You have to go to a Specialty Pet Store. Google Caminade Pet Shop. There is also My Pet Station that sells Canidae. it's an American brand I believe. it's only 2,400 pesos for a 35 lbs. bag. i think that's quite cheap. I use Acana and Orijen. Made in the USA does not necessarily mean it's good quality. But I would never buy dog food made in China. Integrity is made in the U.S. Alright but the first ingredient is rendered meat from unknown source, meaning they contain supermarket scraps, dead livestocks and even euthanized dogs and cats. Caminade Pet shop has tons of choices. It pays to visit their main store in Mabolo. They have branches in Talamban, Mandaue and Lapu Lapu City. I also buy Frontline from them which is way cheaper than the US price.

I suggest you buy Acana, Orijen or Go Naturals. They are pricey but worth it. Eukanuba is inferior in quality to the brands mentioned above. Check the reviews on the dogfoodanalysis website or simply google the brand you want to try. Another way is to view amazon.com and check the consumer review. Royal Canin is expensive but not as good as Orijen. Lower prices range would be Australian products such as Vitality and Natural Balance. They are good for the coat and costs less. Again, you can buy them at Caminade Pet Shop. They do deliver for an extra charge of 50 pesos if you buy a big bag. post-15645-0-35968900-1387737313_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul
Approved by Paul.

Have a Labrador Retriever....been feeding her Acana since she was a pup.  I get it at Camenida (pardon the spelling).  It's a bit more expensive than the commercial feeds, but she has thrived on it, all 33K of her.  Don't have to feed as much, the "yard bombs" are less, but the important thing is that she is a very healthy dog.  Only problem we've had is when she drinks well water.  You might check it out....you can google dog food comparisons and make your own decision.

Been doing a lot of research on BARF/raw diets for dogs lately since introducing a German Shepherd pup to the family three weeks ago.  I've changed all my dogs diets to the 'prey model', i.e raw meat, bone, skin, fat and an assortment of innards.

Here's a quote I posted on another part of this forum yesterday about my thoughts on regular dog food.

Here's an interesting excerpt:

It’s also worth mentioning because dogs lack the salivary enzymes to digest plant matter, consuming fruits and veggies places an additional burden on the pancreas tasking it with producing extra enzymes to deal with the starch, cellulose and carbohydrates.

This is why so many dogs become blind in old age, have diabetes and general bad health. Although for certain, vegetables are not the main cause of that, it's the processed 'kibble' full of grains and other crap. They are fed artificial diets which their bodies, although do adapt to, it is not without consequences. After all the reading I've done now, I won't be going back to their old diets, even if this one costs more. Just have to make sure they have enough variety of organs a few times a week to balance out what they need in their diet which doesn't come from meat, bone, skin and fat.

My dobermann is coming up to 6 years old, and I really don't want her going the way of almost every other dog I've known in a few years time. My mother has 2 almost blind dogs right now, and many of the others were blind too before they passed away. Guess what they have always been fed? Expensive, but still processed, dog food.

I use deli chow. Boil up kidney, liver or pig skin with fat and add a little to it. Nothing wrong with my dogs.

Been doing a lot of research on BARF/raw diets for dogs lately since introducing a German Shepherd pup to the family three weeks ago. I've changed all my dogs diets to the 'prey model', i.e raw meat, bone, skin, fat and an assortment of innards.

Here's a quote I posted on another part of this forum yesterday about my thoughts on regular dog food.

I've been feeding 5 gsd. Pedigree seems to be too rich. Didn't the people you got the dog from telll you what they fed it? I avoid the tripe (stomach) The dogs may like it but it stinks. Edited by hyaku