Locally bought Pedigree dog food unsafe for dogs?

Mr. Mike

I'm glad this topic came up. We recently got a puppy and he has been having fur loss.  Mainly around the ears (which we assumed was from the ear mites....that hes being medicated for), but in general over his entire body he suddenly started shedding a lot. Now I'm wondering if it may be from the Alpo puppy chow we are feeding him. I may have to switch up his diet and see what happens.

Sorry,,,,,, Alpo is junk dog food in the US,,,,,,God knows what it is in the RP. Go with raw meat/s, a few veggies like beans, carrots,  minced greens with a little broth, and a little fish oil! I cannot make this more clear!

Sorry, not going to happen. I don't spend that much effort into food preparation on myself, much less a pet.

I wasn't aware Alpo had a bad rep, I will have to look into it.  We've owned a few dogs over the years and fed them a mix of dog food and table scraps. Each seemed perfectly healthy and lived long lives.

While their food/nutrition is important, your love and care for them is what counts!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Mike

• Siuk

• Brucewayne

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just today i had 3 pieces of bacon and 2 eggs and two pieces of costco raisin  bread toast. but i told my wife to only let kenneth have 2 pieces of bacon and no eggs but use lite butter on his toast 

The dog food I have seen here is crap and very expensive.  I personally do not feed my dogs anything that is not fit for human consumption.  They eat a mixture of fresh cooked rice and sardines twice

I live with a working dog. I can go into his titles and qualifications if anyone is interested. But he was since shortly after weaning been on the BARF diet. Dogs are carnivores. Commercial dog food h

Posted Images

JasonEcos

I'm glad this topic came up. We recently got a puppy and he has been having fur loss.  Mainly around the ears (which we assumed was from the ear mites....that hes being medicated for), but in general over his entire body he suddenly started shedding a lot. Now I'm wondering if it may be from the Alpo puppy chow we are feeding him. I may have to switch up his diet and see what happens.

Sorry,,,,,, Alpo is junk dog food in the US,,,,,,God knows what it is in the RP. Go with raw meat/s, a few veggies like beans, carrots,  minced greens with a little broth, and a little fish oil! I cannot make this more clear!

Sorry, not going to happen. I don't spend that much effort into food preparation on myself, much less a pet.

I wasn't aware Alpo had a bad rep, I will have to look into it.  We've owned a few dogs over the years and fed them a mix of dog food and table scraps. Each seemed perfectly healthy and lived long lives.

While their food/nutrition is important, your love and care for them is what counts!

They get plenty of that, thats for sure. Although my puppy may argue the point right now since hes a bit sulky for getting in trouble for chewing up my phone charger and headset cord. :|

This is the first dog I;ve had that likes eating lettuce. I;ve had cats that love cucumber but never a lettuce eating dog.

smokey

Just today i had 3 pieces of bacon and 2 eggs and two pieces of costco raisin  bread toast. but i told my wife to only let kenneth have 2 pieces of bacon and no eggs but use lite butter on his toast 

attachicon.gifkenneth 001.JPG

.........that is funny shit!!!!!!!Kenneth,,,,,,freaking great name!

my wife named him Kenneth   as he is kinit-an  she said that mean i found it ... she found him under the car at a store and we posted an add for 3 weeks no one claimed him so we keep him

• Like 1

Angy Britons question food integrity

A manufacturer recalls a product claiming to be beef lasagna when it's actually made of horse meat

How many times have we all said, "I'm starving, I could eat a horse"

Now we're all f'ing moaning about it!

427366_613104375382344_815797658_n.jpg

Edited by fred42
  • Like 2
Brucewayne

Angy Britons question food integrity

A manufacturer recalls a product claiming to be beef lasagna when it's actually made of horse meat

How many times have we all said, "I'm starving, I could eat a horse"

Now we're all f'ing moaning about it!

427366_613104375382344_815797658_n.jpg

Horse meat is good, don't knock it.

SkyMan

They get plenty of that, thats for sure. Although my puppy may argue the point right now since hes a bit sulky for getting in trouble for chewing up my phone charger and headset cord. :|

Paint your important wiring with Tobasco sauce when there are puppies around.

Horse meat is good, don't knock it.

Mr Ed says otherwise.
Fish Sandwich

Pedigree is a horrible dog food in the USA as well.  I hate to imagine what the China (Thai?) equivalent has in it.  Most any dog food advertised on TV or sold at the major grocery store chains is no good.  If you read the ingredients and it starts with corn or some other filler product, avoid it.  If it starts with a meat product, you should be better off.

Don't feed your pets chicken unless you're sure there are no bones in it.  Chicken bones splinter and can get lodged in their throat.

Don't feed your pets chicken unless you're sure there are no bones in it.  Chicken bones splinter and can get lodged in their throat.

I have been feeding the local dogs Chicken bones for the last 3 years in the hope that they would choke and then croak..

No such luck though.. It only encourages them. 

• Like 2
Brucewayne

>Horse meat is good, don't knock it.

Mr Ed says otherwise.

Mr. Ed was delicious too.

JasonEcos

Thats a good idea, thank you.  Years ago we had some solution to put on wires to keep kids/dogs from chewing them....it tasted super bitter. I thought of that but I;ve no idea where to buy it locally....the tobasco sounds like it is worth a shot. Now I'll just have to remember not to rub my eyes after messing with a cord.

• 2 months later...
Thelandofku-an

Tell that to my neighbours, who have lost two young turkey's, half a dozen ducks/ducklings and a few chickens to my dobermann's when they entered our property.

Both my dobermann's and german shep mix are allergic to chicken. Cooked, uncooked or processed crap. Dobermann's break out in lumpy skin rashes and the mix lost clumps of hair.  Shame really, it's healthier and cheaper than the pork and occasional beef I feed them.

Same situation with our Labradors of different bloodlines...

Thelandofku-an

I have been feeding the local dogs Chicken bones for the last 3 years in the hope that they would choke and then croak..

No such luck though.. It only encourages them. 

Killi'n em with kindness?

• 5 months later...

I recently purchased a large bag of Pedigree for my Jack Russel at S&R and have tried feeding it to her.

Three times I gave her the food and three times she became ill and vomited it up and was sick most of the day.

I took it for granted that the dog food was a U.S. import and didn't bother looking at the lable very closely, but once I did look, I see what looks like Chinese emblems/lettering on the bag.

I was buying the same version of Kibbles and Bits at SM with no problem, but decided it would be worth it to buy a larger bag at S&R .

S&R didn't have the Kibbles and Bits, so I decided to try Pedigree.

We have been buying S&R beef pro since it's opening 2 years or so ago.   No incidents until 2 months ago when two of 8 dogs got sick.  Two have since died, one relatively young schnauzer died of liver cancer.  3 more are ill and vet said it could be the dog food, which contains 21% protein.   Two have recovered but are still on medication and special dog food diet.  We have contacted S&R management and we were told they will look into this.

We suspect it's S&R dog food that's causing illness to our (8) dogs.  Two have since died in a span of less than 2 months.  Young schnauzer died of liver cancer.   Upon closer look at the beef pro contents:  21% protein.  Three more are ill and are now on special diet.  Vet said it could very well be the dog food..

We suspect it's S&R dog food that's causing illness to our (8) dogs. Two have since died in a span of less than 2 months. Young schnauzer died of liver cancer. Upon closer look at the beef pro contents: 21% protein. Three more are ill and are now on special diet. Vet said it could very well be the dog food..

I suggest you switch to the Vitality brand, which is imported from Australia. Although I don't feed it to my dogs constantly, I do occasionally buy a 15kg sack of Vitality High energy as an addition to their food to keep it interesting.  I have been on-off using it here since 2008 when I bought my first dobermann and have no complaints.  You can always tell the better quality foods by the state of the dogs toilet. Pedigree (in my experience anyway) the toilet is overly soft, usually a splat.  Perfect poo with Vitality.

I've lived with around 20 dogs my entire life, always been a few around and up to 7, and what I have noticed is many end up going blind or having diabetes. I would attribute this to the expensive processed dog food being fed to them.  I feed my dogs mainly fresh pork, brown rice, squash and other vegetables, and as noted sometimes include a little Vitality to mix it up. Or I'll just give them a large pork rib each to crack up and eat.  With eight dogs that might be a little expensive though, but it is far more healthy for them. I only have two now.

Sorry for the loss of your dogs. My dogs recently caught a viral or bacterial infection and suffered diarrhea.  My 2.5 year old dobermann male died from complications two days after we (with help from vet) managed to solve the diarrhea problem. Still don't know and never will know what caused him to die, it wasn't dehydration. He died on the 25th last month, so still very fresh in my mind and still hurts.