Locally bought Pedigree dog food unsafe for dogs?

Brucewayne

Have bought it from Fooda and I think it's Thai writing though it could be made in China.Some dogs digestive tracks have trouble with an abrupt food change.  It's generally recommended to mix the new food into the old in increasing amounts to transition.  However when you run into the 'no stock sir' you may have to just switch.  Caminade pet store has a couple supposedly US brands.  One has a US flag on it and says made in the US and the other is Integrity.  They also have Eukenuba which is pretty expensive but supposedly you don't have to feed them as much.  Many of the Agrivets carry a Purina High PProtein but a bit expensive too.  p2K for 50lbs I think.

You hit the nail on the head.

As I was dumping the Pedigree in my garden, I read the label (the parts in English) and it was a Thai product, but translated into English and several Asian languages.

It said one should only feed small amounts over seven days and as the dog could tolerate a larger amount, increase it slowly.

To me that is a sign it may be toxic.

I fed Pedigree and several other brands to my Pomeranians in the states when I was raising/breeding them and as sensitive as their digestive system was, I never had a problem with changing their diet abruptly.

Actually, they enjoyed the change.

Now I come here and the trusted brands don't act the same as they did in the U.S., so I will just give my dog hot dogs, franks, boiled chicken feet and maybe a small mix of soft rice and left overs or what we happen to be eating at the time.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Mike

• Siuk

• Brucewayne

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just today i had 3 pieces of bacon and 2 eggs and two pieces of costco raisin  bread toast. but i told my wife to only let kenneth have 2 pieces of bacon and no eggs but use lite butter on his toast 

The dog food I have seen here is crap and very expensive.  I personally do not feed my dogs anything that is not fit for human consumption.  They eat a mixture of fresh cooked rice and sardines twice

I live with a working dog. I can go into his titles and qualifications if anyone is interested. But he was since shortly after weaning been on the BARF diet. Dogs are carnivores. Commercial dog food h

Posted Images

Have bought it from Fooda and I think it's Thai writing though it could be made in China.Some dogs digestive tracks have trouble with an abrupt food change.  It's generally recommended to mix the new food into the old in increasing amounts to transition.  However when you run into the 'no stock sir' you may have to just switch.  Caminade pet store has a couple supposedly US brands.  One has a US flag on it and says made in the US and the other is Integrity.  They also have Eukenuba which is pretty expensive but supposedly you don't have to feed them as much.  Many of the Agrivets carry a Purina High PProtein but a bit expensive too.  p2K for 50lbs I think.

You hit the nail on the head.

As I was dumping the Pedigree in my garden, I read the label (the parts in English) and it was a Thai product, but translated into English and several Asian languages.

It said one should only feed small amounts over seven days and as the dog could tolerate a larger amount, increase it slowly.

I fed Pedigree and several other brands to my Pomeranians in the states when I was raising/breeding them and as sensitive as their digestive system was, I never had a problem with changing their diet abruptly.

Actually, they enjoyed the change.

Now I come here and the trusted brands don't act the same as they did in the U.S., so I will just give my dog hot dogs, franks, boiled chicken feet and maybe a small mix of soft rice and left overs or what we happen to be eating at the time.

The local hotdogs they sell here are probably more toxic than the Pedigree.

• Like 3
Davaoeno

I believe that processed food- even that made for humans- is probably toxic in large quantities   [ and especially if your diet is just at once changed to only that processed food ]

Their favorite treat is popcorn and a movie with me. 

I bet your copy of Old Yeller is just about worn out by now !!

Negative..........the movie means nothing to them.........they are facing me, not the movie, they love me and the popcorn........the movie is for my entertainment.    As for as guard dogs............lol..........nobody ever opens my gate even after the eyoo's until I say ok.  Even then they are apprehensive to enter.  Now if you come to the gate with popcorn (which no one has) I might have to fire them. lol 

I get Deli Chow. A U.S.Food made of liver and marrowbone. I buy pig or baka lights to mix in sometimes. The fat and skin from the pigs I butcher get boiled and mixed in sometimes. A few raw eggs etc and lysine every few days. No problems up to now. Mines a white german shepard.

A dog also I adopted had been given fish n rice and was going blind in one eye. Seems ok now

JasonEcos

I'm glad this topic came up. We recently got a puppy and he has been having fur loss.  Mainly around the ears (which we assumed was from the ear mites....that hes being medicated for), but in general over his entire body he suddenly started shedding a lot. Now I'm wondering if it may be from the Alpo puppy chow we are feeding him. I may have to switch up his diet and see what happens.

ed villas

since its election time, why not mix the food with some rice,,

Put some feeding stations in the squatter area plus banners out w/those that are running  for office (such        as       lady gagagwen )

you will get rid of that food so quick and they would be coming back for more. :ROFLMAO:

Edited by ed villas
Mr. Mike

I'm glad this topic came up. We recently got a puppy and he has been having fur loss.  Mainly around the ears (which we assumed was from the ear mites....that hes being medicated for), but in general over his entire body he suddenly started shedding a lot. Now I'm wondering if it may be from the Alpo puppy chow we are feeding him. I may have to switch up his diet and see what happens.

Sorry,,,,,, Alpo is junk dog food in the US,,,,,,God knows what it is in the RP. Go with raw meat/s, a few veggies like beans, carrots,  minced greens with a little broth, and a little fish oil! I cannot make this more clear!

Edited by Mr. Mike
Davaoeno

Alpo is junk dog food in the US

well I eat junk food so I dont see why my dog should eat better than me !

• Like 1
Mr. Mike

If it came between feeding my dog/s or myself,,,,,,he/they would be well fed! I pity your dog...........

Davaoeno

If it came between feeding my dog/s or myself,,,,,,he/they would be well fed! I pity your dog...........

if there was only enough food for him or for me my dog would be served to me  for lunch 

Edited by Davaoeno
smokey

Just today i had 3 pieces of bacon and 2 eggs and two pieces of costco raisin  bread toast. but i told my wife to only let kenneth have 2 pieces of bacon and no eggs but use lite butter on his toast 

post-35-0-72744200-1360723261_thumb.jpg

• Like 4
Mr. Mike

attachicon.gifkenneth 001.JPG

.........that is funny shit!!!!!!!Kenneth,,,,,,freaking great name!

• Like 1
JasonEcos

Sorry,,,,,, Alpo is junk dog food in the US,,,,,,God knows what it is in the RP. Go with raw meat/s, a few veggies like beans, carrots,  minced greens with a little broth, and a little fish oil! I cannot make this more clear!

Sorry, not going to happen. I don't spend that much effort into food preparation on myself, much less a pet.

I wasn't aware Alpo had a bad rep, I will have to look into it.  We've owned a few dogs over the years and fed them a mix of dog food and table scraps. Each seemed perfectly healthy and lived long lives.