Locally bought Pedigree dog food unsafe for dogs?

Brucewayne

I recently purchased a large bag of Pedigree for my Jack Russel at S&R and have tried feeding it to her.

Three times I gave her the food and three times she became ill and vomited it up and was sick most of the day.

I took it for granted that the dog food was a U.S. import and didn't bother looking at the lable very closely, but once I did look, I see what looks like Chinese emblems/lettering on the bag.

I was buying the same version of Kibbles and Bits at SM with no problem, but decided it would be worth it to buy a larger bag at S&R .

S&R didn't have the Kibbles and Bits, so I decided to try Pedigree.

What I want to know is did anyone here have the same problem, or is this a fluke and where can I buy decent dog food here in Cebu?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Mike

• Siuk

• Brucewayne

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just today i had 3 pieces of bacon and 2 eggs and two pieces of costco raisin  bread toast. but i told my wife to only let kenneth have 2 pieces of bacon and no eggs but use lite butter on his toast 

The dog food I have seen here is crap and very expensive.  I personally do not feed my dogs anything that is not fit for human consumption.  They eat a mixture of fresh cooked rice and sardines twice

I live with a working dog. I can go into his titles and qualifications if anyone is interested. But he was since shortly after weaning been on the BARF diet. Dogs are carnivores. Commercial dog food h

Posted Images

maybe it has horse meat in. Just about everything else does these days.

r u sure its not roumanian writing?

Jim Sibbick

Your message has prompted me to google pedigree. 

It has a use by date which I presume you never checked either and has ingredients that some dogs are allergic too. And judging by some other dogs reaction, your dog's reaction is normal.

I have had nothing to do with dogs for 30 years but I was bought up with working dogs. They got fresh meat, bread and milk. And otherwise, got left overs from us. They thrived on what we fed them. That is how I would feed a dog if I got another.

• Like 2
SkyMan

Have bought it from Fooda and I think it's Thai writing though it could be made in China.Some dogs digestive tracks have trouble with an abrupt food change.  It's generally recommended to mix the new food into the old in increasing amounts to transition.  However when you run into the 'no stock sir' you may have to just switch.  Caminade pet store has a couple supposedly US brands.  One has a US flag on it and says made in the US and the other is Integrity.  They also have Eukenuba which is pretty expensive but supposedly you don't have to feed them as much.  Many of the Agrivets carry a Purina High PProtein but a bit expensive too.  p2K for 50lbs I think.

• Like 2
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I live with a working dog. I can go into his titles and qualifications if anyone is interested. But he was since shortly after weaning been on the BARF diet. Dogs are carnivores. Commercial dog food has carbohydrates in the form of cheap cereal. Dogs don't need cereal. ANyone who tells you otherwise is unknowledgable or representing the interests of commercial dog food companies.

Unfortunately, a lot of dogs have a problem with it, especially if they are highly line bread. I was lucky to be able to control my dogs diet from shortly after he wasn't getting anymore milk from mom. Depending on the size of your dog, the BARF diet can be expensive, especially here where what most countries consider 'butchers scraps' are being sold in the meat section, sometimes at a premium.

I encourage you to read up on the BARF diet. I take it further with my dog, who has a high prey drive and buy him live chickens sometimes - thats feeding a dog something close to what they are genetically supposed to eat.

Edit - just reread and noticed you have a Jack Russel. Small dog, probably cheaper to feed it whole food than dog food here.

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 3
Mr. Mike

I have several customers that prefer the raw food diet for their dogs. They purchase chicken wings and backs, puree (or chop into small pieces), them uncooked and that is the morning feeding, They also purchase fresh greens like spinach, collard, kayle etc, and puree them uncooked for the afternoon feeding. I do the same as well, and often mix in a little fresh ground beef for a little menu change. Throw in a little olive oil, and you are done.

You might think this is expensive, but if you purchase in bulk, the price is quite reasonable. You will also find that the dog will not require as much food per feeding because there are no "fillers" in the food, just pure food nutrients.

I prepare two/three pounds of fresh food at a time and the freeze it until needed. You will notice that dogs fed on this more natural preditor diet, excrete less solid waste,(poop) and what is pooped, dries out and turns white and powdery. This eliminates a lot of canine allergy (wheat) issues, possible cancer, and hot spots.

• Like 2
cebubird

I recently purchased a large bag of Pedigree for my Jack Russel at S&R and have tried feeding it to her.

Three times I gave her the food and three times she became ill and vomited it up and was sick most of the day.

I took it for granted that the dog food was a U.S. import and didn't bother looking at the lable very closely, but once I did look, I see what looks like Chinese emblems/lettering on the bag.

I was buying the same version of Kibbles and Bits at SM with no problem, but decided it would be worth it to buy a larger bag at S&R .

S&R didn't have the Kibbles and Bits, so I decided to try Pedigree.

What I want to know is did anyone here have the same problem, or is this a fluke and where can I buy decent dog food here in Cebu?

I have a large dog and actually started him off on the Pedigree cause I could buy it locally, but vet told me to get him off it as some dogs don't do well on the chicken products. I switched to the S&R brand of puppy food and then when he was a year old, switched to the S&R beefy dog food. 20kg bag about 850. We "flavor" with whatever scraps leftovers are about and he seems to do quite well.

• Like 1

I take it further with my dog, who has a high prey drive and buy him live chickens sometimes - thats feeding a dog something close to what they are genetically supposed to eat.

Tell that to my neighbours, who have lost two young turkey's, half a dozen ducks/ducklings and a few chickens to my dobermann's when they entered our property.

Both my dobermann's and german shep mix are allergic to chicken. Cooked, uncooked or processed crap. Dobermann's break out in lumpy skin rashes and the mix lost clumps of hair.  Shame really, it's healthier and cheaper than the pork and occasional beef I feed them.

Skywalker

I mixed that pedigree chum into the scullery maids rice, just to liven it up a bit.  I can't stop her barking now - very inconvenient when the Ambassador visits.

• Like 2
Brucewayne

Thanks guys, how about a diet with boiled chicken feet now and then?

I do think I will try the S&R brand next time and only give dog food one time every other day so she can enjoy a bit of what we eat most of the time.

Her appetite is so big that we can't really justify feeding her a lot of food items, so we cheat and feed it to her mixed with dog food one day and soft rice the next.

That is her morning diet, in the early evening, she gets table scraps and some of what we are eating at dinner time as well.

Mr. Mike

......just watch her teeth,,,,,,,,,,,bones,,,,,,not just table scraps,,,,, and clean her teeth!

Edited by Mr. Mike

The dog food I have seen here is crap and very expensive.  I personally do not feed my dogs anything that is not fit for human consumption.  They eat a mixture of fresh cooked rice and sardines twice a day.  Occasionally a bone for a treat.  I do bone out my lechon baboy's and freeze the ears,tail, feet and bones for additional treats.  They love their diet and are very healthy.  Their favorite treat is popcorn and a movie with me.  They line up in front of me, sit patiently and wait for me to throw a piece in the air.  They catch it and wait for the next one. 

• Like 3
Davaoeno

Their favorite treat is popcorn and a movie with me. 

I bet your copy of Old Yeller is just about worn out by now !!

smokey

Their favorite treat is popcorn and a movie with me. 

I bet your copy of Old Yeller is just about worn out by now !!

i feed my dogs what ever i eat plus i buy soup bones i like my dogs to be flesh eaters makes them just a little more better at their job of keeping unwanted visitors out