Where to find a decent white sand beach on Cebu island

datkins587

throttleplate

Well we hung out in the same neighborhood,  Huntington beach, seal beach, laguna beach, newport, and dana point.  We have a very different view of beaches.

i hung out at the santa monica pier and the others you mention as i was stationed in california but i never went into the ocean water as i just seen the movie Jaws and was now afraid to wade into the water and get eaten by a shark.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• datkins587

• udonthani

• Hy H

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While the beaches in Australia are admittedly very fine, the one big draw back is that they are full of Australians !!

it's a proven scientific fact that whenever somebody gets laid by a 19 year old chick for the first time in about 30 years, sand changes colour in their perception from brown to yellow and from yellow

Been there twice... not much to write home about really...... ok, ok, so I've never been there....

cebubird

Maybe drive down to Argao tomorrow and try to find that beach.

As I tried to emphasize there are NO WHITE SAND beaches in Argao. There are couple area where the scenery in the distance is nice, but there is NO WHITE SAND!!!!! You will be very disappointed if you go to there. Farther south, actually in dalaguete, there is the old Argao beach club that DOES have a small white sand  beach that is very nice and tropical. Weekdays hardly anyone there and it is very very pleasant.

As you're going southbound on the main hwy, go through the main part of Argao and continue south. The road has a sharp curve to the right; take the left turn just at that curve and that will take you directly to Mahayahay Beach. Weekends are generally crowded.

Jim Sibbick

And why is it older ( longer members ) members want to pull rank by "how long have you lived in Cebu"  What a childs game.

-- snip----  I don't have to live there to understand what I saw in said beaches.  And beaches do not have anything to do with my moving there

It is simple really.

A visitor to the Philippines will see something once then post on forums about their experiences good or bad then everyone who has never been will thank them for their up to date information.

Too bad that their experience was the day after a typhoon and there was junk from the typhoon all over the beach, the sea was discoloured and the tidal surge was still pushing the tide higher intio the beach making the beach appear just about non existent. But hey, it was correct on the day of the visit.

A person with many years experience may have visited the beach hundreds of times and know what it "normally" looks like.

The same can be said of most facilities in the Philippines.

I may have a single bad experience at a restaurant but the other 50 days have been fine so I don't feel the need to jump on Tripadvisor and report what a bad restaurant it is.. Unfortunately, that is what gets reported on forums every day, people's one time experience.

• Like 2

I've never paid much attention to the color of sand at public beaches, I'm more concerned with slicing my food open on a broken Grande bottle and being a looong way from a real hospital. People who complain about the "whiteness" of sand will inevitably find something to complain about. 

datkins587

I don't remember the sand at the California beaches being white either. For white sand beaches in the US you need to head over to the Gulf coast areas. I went to one south of Tampa Bay once that looked like refined white sugar.

smokey

I don't remember the sand at the California beaches being white either. For white sand beaches in the US you need to head over to the Gulf coast areas. I went to one south of Tampa Bay once that looked like refined white sugar.

need white go to the salt flats lots of white ///  is there like a sand quality control thing going on here ?  is this like people who go to WHITE SAND  beaches are better then people who accept anything less then pure white sand? 

I THINK WHEN A PERSON SAYS WHITE SAND WHAT THEY MEAN IS (((( CLEAN ))) AS OPPOSED TO DIRTY..  like saying i want to rent a CLEAN hotel room and this to me means the room is clean not the lobby is marble or there are gold fixtures but clean

Edited by smokey
cebubird

Sounds like the beaches in Sarasota, specifically Siesta Key beach as it is frequently listed as the finest beach anywhere.

You make me homesick here-thinking of that. But to me Lido beach was my beach of choice because of being walking distance to St.  Armands circle and all the fine restaurants.

datkins587

Sounds like the beaches in Sarasota, specifically Siesta Key beach as it is frequently listed as the finest beach anywhere.

You make me homesick here-thinking of that. But to me Lido beach was my beach of choice because of being walking distance to St.  Armands circle and all the fine restaurants.

Yep that was the beach Siesta keys, very nice.

the.lone.gunman

i lived in cebu 2 years before i ever discovered baguio who would of ever thought the tropics would have a city full of pine trees and be chilly at night 

YAH. And the beaches  down around La Union ( about an hour from Baguio by bus) are very very nice,   better than any beaches I  saw in Cebu. Miles and miles of sandy beaches  with some pretty nice rollers  if you are into surfing.

the.lone.gunman

The best white sand beach in Cebu is probably not actually in Cebu, Malapascua Island is about 10 kms of the northern tip of Cebu, Bounty beach is White and Sandy and Magnificent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malapascua_Island

The beaches are very nice in Malapacua but going into the water is not so nice.  I found very few swimming areas, or walking areas, that are clear of seaweed, coral or sea urchans. 

Bantayan Island is the place to be!  Best beaches I've been to in the Visayas (so far).

I agree. Bantayyan  has the nicest beaches I saw in and around Cebu, and I visited as many beaches as I could find from north to south including Bohol and Panglau.

• Like 1
udonthani

I've never paid much attention to the color of sand at public beaches.

me neither. I remember one time I was having a couple of beers with this really amusing American guy at a hotel bar in Angeles when some German guy who had only just arrived for the first time made the mistake of coming over to us and asking if we knew of any really powdery white sand beaches he could visit on his upcoming vacation. We just took the piss out of him straight away. 'Does it really matter what color it is?' and, 'You're in the Philippines, you numbskull. Not a Bacardi commercial'.

White Beach outside of Moalboal is not so bad and you can drive to it.

This is true about White Beach. My wife and I go twice a year. It is pretty big, and the snorkelling is excellent. Our favorite "close by" beach.
.................. How far is it from Cebu City?

I would guess it is about 2 and a half hours from the City. I live in Barili and it is about 35 minutes from there.

Reading all the post here sounds like a bunch of rich kids comparing their birthday partys.  I grew up in southern California and if they had a beach like in Alcoy, or Moal Boal, or Bantayan Island, in southern California.  You would never be able to enjoy it because of the crowds.  Let alone if the dirtiest water quality of Cebu was in California.  You would have so many swimmers with sun screen in it, it would look like an oil spill.

Just my opinion.

No way. I grew up in those places. If there are contamination issues

datkins587

Maybe drive down to Argao tomorrow and try to find that beach.

As I tried to emphasize there are NO WHITE SAND beaches in Argao. There are couple area where the scenery in the distance is nice, but there is NO WHITE SAND!!!!! You will be very disappointed if you go to there. Farther south, actually in dalaguete, there is the old Argao beach club that DOES have a small white sand  beach that is very nice and tropical. Weekdays hardly anyone there and it is very very pleasant.

>>As you're going southbound on the main hwy, go through the main part of Argao and continue south. The road has a sharp curve to the right; take the left turn just at that curve and that will take you directly to Mahayahay Beach. Weekends are generally crowded.

Cebubird was right, Mahayahay Beach in Argao was not nice at all. I got out of the car walked around a bit for a look and left. I kept driving South after that and maybe 15K later found the turn off to the old Argao Beach club. It was actually not too bad. It was small and a bit crowed (it was Sunday) but it had whitish colored sand plus it was clean with aqua water to swim in. We rented a table and stayed there a couple hours. Then we proceeded even further South to the tip of Cebu island. On the way we saw a few other nice looking beaches. One right next to the highway was very long so we got out a took a nice long walk on the beach. Now don’t get me wrong they are not all that nice as compared to a beach like you would see in Cancun or Phuket. But clean sand with clean water is a plus. Seems the further away you get from Cebu City the cleaner the beach areas are. Thanks for all the input and advice everyone.

Edited by datkins587