Metrobank, branch banking done wrong.

SkyMan

Sometimes you just shake your head and laugh...

In this thread I discussed the joy of being treated like a customer in a french restaurant in paris by the Mandaue Metrobank for having committed the intolerable sin of having opened my account in the Consolacion Branch. 

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/22841-do-other-banksbranches-do-this/?hl=%2Blacion+%2Bmandaue+%2Bmetrobank

So now here's a new one.  My account is an ATM Savings account I have never withdrawn money from.  I make deposits, then use online bill pay to pay my VECO bill and my wife's SSS.  But yesterday I was near Ayala and needed some pesos but no money in the US account right now so I decided to tap the Metrobank funds.  Guess I never changed the PIN because after 3 tries it blocked the account.  No problem, I'll just go inside and reset it. 

Oh, sir, your account is in Lacion sso we can't reset it. 

Really?  Don't you have perhaps one of those computer thingies? 

Sir, you have to go to Lacion for that. 

All right, fine, annoying, but fine.  I would like to withdraw p5K from my account.

Sir, your account is an ATM account, you have to go to Lacion for that.  We could do it if it were a passbook account but not an ATM account.

Can you tell me the balance on my account?

Yes.

Then you can see my account, why can't you give me some money from it?

Please talk to our manager.

Sir, you can't withdraw from an ATM account here but you can get a cashier's check?

Huh? Made out to me?

Yes.

And you can cash that right away?

Yes, for only 50 pesos.

So it would be like a withdrawal?

Yes.

And the 50 pesos is for the check?

Yes.

I see.  Why don't we do that but instead of wasting an expensive check, we just use a blank piece of paper we'll fill out to look like a check since it will just be filled out, signed, and cancelled within minutes.

Sir, we ca.........nevermind. Ok, let's do this ridiculous thing.

Girl fills out forms which I sign in about 3 places, she then goes off a while and see her on the phone, then faxing, then returning.  Sir, just wait a while while they verify your signature. 

You're kidding right?

5 minutes later.....ring.

Ok sir, sign the check here and here.

Check then verified by 2 managers.

After finally getting my money, less p50.  I went to the first manager and said "You do realize the shear ridiculousness of what we just did, don't you?"

==Hides head in work==

Just amazing.

Later in the Lacion Branch:

I need a new PIN for my ATM card.

Do you remember the PIN?

Apparently not.

==Fills out form==

Since here and here.  It will take about a week and do you want us to take the p50 out of your account?

No, what p50 would that be?

For the new PIN.

You're going to charge me for a PIN?

Yes.

You didn't charge me for a PIN when I got the account.

You get one PIN with the account.  If you need it reset, it's a p50 charge.

If I lost the card I could see a charge for a new card but for a PIN?

That's the charge sir.

I would like to open a new ATM card account.  I trust it will come with a free ATM card and PIN, is that correct?

==Dirty look==  Yes sir.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 6
Headshot

And you still bank there? Why would anybody put up with that kind of crap? I have never had a problem like that at BPI...plus...if you need to reset your PIN, you can do it yourself online...for free. On the other hand, have you ever thought about writing PIN's and passwords down and putting them in a safe place...so that if you forget them, you can go back and get them again?

hookedtothenet

If I lost the card I could see a charge for a new card but for a PIN?

I feel your pain and also get frustrated with the banks at times, in the end I just go with what they are telling me to do, but in the back of my mind I am screaming with frustration! LOL!

Of course you know if you lost your ATM card you would have to go to an Attorney (sometimes your lucky and the bank has one on premises, sometimes not) and pay P200+ for them to do an 'Avidavit of loss' and fill out more papers and wait two weeks! 

Well i have a BPI CREDIT CARD, to get cash out with i must go to Cebu at one of the malls and go thru paper work cant be done at the local branch or by phone or on line then it activate ( that for cash only can use with out that like a regular card ???to use. But that the way they do it or take a trip to one place on Leyte Island , Not Ormoc  also i really cant have a card even though they say i can on there forms but i new the old manager friend so i got one for the wife no application ,i use the extra card with my name.When they send me the card i tell them to send to the branch manager in Ormoc so not get lost.Well another catch 22 take a week or more for the vice president of bank to approve of that . (Guess they don't trust the manager but he can give the wife 60,000 piso credit card no problem never sign any thing. Then when i bought new car three yrs ago.  They say  can't fiance me to old but ok for the wife haaaaaaa and they no it my money,, to much. Then one day in BPI bank , not sure if true, I said i like to get a  ATM card ,at that time i am in Baybay living.The lady tell me sir no good  for you as you can't use it at other banks  if so that crazy. Now for BDO  oops next time haaaaaa

Edited by tonny
Headshot

I have two BPI ATM cards (one dollar account and one peso account). I have used the ATM cards everywhere we have gone in the Philippines with no problems. Also, I have moved money between the accounts (which requires a currency exchange), made up managers checks and other miscellaneous transactions in branches all over. I have never had a problem with any transaction since they changed their policies about 2 1/2 years ago. Before, you had to do most transactions other than ATM cash or direct sales (readers in stores) at the branch where you opened your account. Then, with their policy change, they made it possible to do basically anything anywhere in their system. It seems that most employees at BPI know that all branches are connected through their computer network.

Edited by Headshot

Dont worry.

Given time they will eventually get into the 20th century.

About 97 years time, I guess.

• Like 1
smokey

oh its just the way the people think of customer service... i wire myself money and most of the time it goes as planned slow but 2 days is acceptable to me... once i wire money on monday .. check wed not yet... thursday not yet.?????    FRIDAY ... NOT YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   What the hell is up... Sorry sir the person who does the incoming wire is having a baby ?  only two things you can say ... whats on your mind is WHAT THE FUC?   BUT REALITY TELLS YOU BETTER TO LAUGH AND SAY .... OH NOW I UNDERSTAND ..

• Like 2

How long have you guys lived here? Skyman try other banks, or just remember your pin, feck it only 50 peso and that is the bank rules learn to read, smokey thats right any time some one is away, its the old sorry sir that is their job , I rather that than some one else trying and fecking it up, you are married to a pinay you should know by now how they work.

CardiacKid

oh its just the way the people think of customer service... i wire myself money and most of the time it goes as planned slow but 2 days is acceptable to me... once i wire money on monday .. check wed not yet... thursday not yet.?????    FRIDAY ... NOT YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   What the hell is up... Sorry sir the person who does the incoming wire is having a baby ?  only two things you can say ... whats on your mind is WHAT THE FUC?   BUT REALITY TELLS YOU BETTER TO LAUGH AND SAY .... OH NOW I UNDERSTAND ..

You just have to remember the Golden Rule in customer no service here. "No inconvenience is too great for you to bear". That is sometimes followed by the Golden Rule in commerce with foreigners. "No price is too high for you to pay". Smile and walk away, better than a trip to jail.  

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I love it when they turn the screen so I Can see the signature card and say, "Sir, can you please sign like this?"

• Like 1