Sign in to follow this  
Tinbum

Whirlpool American style fridge freezer

Tinbum

Being bored on a Sunday, being tight with money, being an aircraft mechanic by trade has caused me to get off my arse!

Having brought from Europe my Whirlpool side by side fridge freezer, ive noticed that it has developed a problem. No matter how low I set the fridge temp it never seems cold enough, in fact its not really cold at all, lets say lightly chilled. Freezer side is fine.

Now for food etc that’s fine, but my San Mig Grande’s need to be cold with a capital C!!! It’s a PITA to take one out, stick it in the
freezer for 15 min then drink it, I want ”drink it now” service!

Having read up on the internet all that I could, not too much because the thing is 7 years old, I concluded that I had done all the
correct things, condenser underneath clear (hoovered and compressor blow out), defrosted to clear any ice build up, switched off for an hour to re-set its brain (wouldn’t that be a great thing for women!!!!!) etc etc.

One very pertinent point cropped up though. In this style of unit, the fridge does not produce cold air. The freezer produces the cold air and a circulating fan then pushes some of this air via channels into the fridge. To stop the fridge freezing as well, various bits of electronic wizardry cut off the fan when necessary or even close a little flap in the primary feed channel (ie when fridge is at pre-set temp)

Now I personally hate electrics, the stuff can sneak up and bite you on the arse and you cant see it coming! That’s why I guess I like old machinery as in my gallery, bits and pieces that wiz around, things that go clunk clank!

With the frieezer door open, I could over-ride the door switch (pushing with a finger) which confirmed the circulatory fan was working, as it cuts out when the door is opened. By carefully prising away a panel above the motor I saw where the duct into the fridge was, all was clear, but now I knew where it entered the fridge.

Looking into the fridge side I saw a corresponding vent. Over-riding the door switch again I could only feel a tiny trickle of cold air
coming through.

Removing the cover I saw a louvered grille that was closed (basically two slotted plates that if slid in opposite directions either formed openings or closed themselves) Alongside this was what I guess to be an electromagnetic solenoid, some wires and a coil of some sort. More electrical bullshit!

A good push with a finger freed off the two plates and a spray with silicone makes them as slippery as a slippery thing. With them open and door switch pressed, I was rewarded with a good flow of Siberian air!!!

So it seems that one or more pieces of electric gadgetry had packed up leaving me with a closed primary air channel flap! Not wanting a frozen fridge, I have settled on a” half open” position for the plates, and will adjust them manually to get my desired temp.

Having sorted this out, I just thought it may help others from dumping similar units or trying vainly to find a technician here in Cebu.

Hope it helps someone one day. Now off for a very cold beer!!!!!!!!

Edited by Tinbum
  • Like 2

RogerDat

Greetings! Good fix! In future if service needed, try ElectroLux 344 7367. They are Whirlpool repaire reps here.

musicman666

Not sure if its your problem..... But any electrical appliances with compressors such as freezers which aren't exactly 60hz will be in for a lot of issues here. I brought over a couple of things from Hong Kong that were rated at 50hz..... The compressor was always on and overheating without working properly.....with volts you can get away with a bit of leeway but when it comes to compressors it's has to be 60hz exact.

• Like 1

Jester

Being bored on a Sunday, being tight with money, being an aircraft mechanic by trade has caused me to get off my arse!

Having brought from Europe my Whirlpool side by side fridge freezer, ive noticed that it has developed a problem. No matter how low I set the fridge temp it never seems cold enough, in fact its not really cold at all, lets say lightly chilled. Freezer side is fine.

Now for food etc that’s fine, but my San Mig Grande’s need to be cold with a capital C!!! It’s a PITA to take one out, stick it in the

freezer for 15 min then drink it, I want ”drink it now” service!

Having read up on the internet all that I could, not too much because the thing is 7 years old, I concluded that I had done all the

correct things, condenser underneath clear (hoovered and compressor blow out), defrosted to clear any ice build up, switched off for an hour to re-set its brain (wouldn’t that be a great thing for women!!!!!) etc etc.

One very pertinent point cropped up though. In this style of unit, the fridge does not produce cold air. The freezer produces the cold air and a circulating fan then pushes some of this air via channels into the fridge. To stop the fridge freezing as well, various bits of electronic wizardry cut off the fan when necessary or even close a little flap in the primary feed channel (ie when fridge is at pre-set temp)

Now I personally hate electrics, the stuff can sneak up and bite you on the arse and you cant see it coming! That’s why I guess I like old machinery as in my gallery, bits and pieces that wiz around, things that go clunk clank!

With the frieezer door open, I could over-ride the door switch (pushing with a finger) which confirmed the circulatory fan was working, as it cuts out when the door is opened. By carefully prising away a panel above the motor I saw where the duct into the fridge was, all was clear, but now I knew where it entered the fridge.

Looking into the fridge side I saw a corresponding vent. Over-riding the door switch again I could only feel a tiny trickle of cold air

coming through.

Removing the cover I saw a louvered grille that was closed (basically two slotted plates that if slid in opposite directions either formed openings or closed themselves) Alongside this was what I guess to be an electromagnetic solenoid, some wires and a coil of some sort. More electrical bullshit!

A good push with a finger freed off the two plates and a spray with silicone makes them as slippery as a slippery thing. With them open and door switch pressed, I was rewarded with a good flow of Siberian air!!!

So it seems that one or more pieces of electric gadgetry had packed up leaving me with a closed primary air channel flap! Not wanting a frozen fridge, I have settled on a” half open” position for the plates, and will adjust them manually to get my desired temp.

Having sorted this out, I just thought it may help others from dumping similar units or trying vainly to find a technician here in Cebu.

Hope it helps someone one day. Now off for a very cold beer!!!!!!!!

I always enjoy such posts for future reference!  If you have a problem http://appliencegurus.com has some interesting DIY fix's.  One of mine is there for a icemaker door repair.   whiner

Tinbum

Not sure if its your problem..... But any electrical appliances with compressors such as freezers which aren't exactly 60hz will be in for a lot of issues here. I brought over a couple of things from Hong Kong that were rated at 50hz..... The compressor was always on and overheating without working properly.....with volts you can get away with a bit of leeway but when it comes to compressors it's has to be 60hz exact.

Thanks for the input, you are correct in that the compressor does run hot, however to help things along i've removed the lower back panel to aid greater air flow.

Its a wait and see game. Its working and i've saved on not buying a new fridge SO FAR!!!

Edited by Tinbum

RogerDat

Greetings! If it does go tits up, get the compressor replaced with proper one, and it should be good to go for at least 10 more years.