Sign in to follow this  
battleborn

Obama Care

ed villas

if I am treasonous, then, each of you who have been banned may feel free to report me to President Obama.

Now, is there anyone else who would like to be banned today? I will be happy to oblige.

feck me. And I thought a statement Alan had previously made had the members upriled. I really got them going, with mine. The fecked up part is, that was NOT the first time I ever posted it on this site!

Oh, I am proud to be a redneck, by the way.

Now, can wet get back to the topic at hand?

Perhaps it is time to close this topic, allow COOLER HEADS to prevail

Bill H

A lot of people die before they come close to drawing the amount that they put it, that should cover the extra money that long livers draw. IMHO what is causing the shortfall is all the other programs that have been attached to it. People drawing for disablility, wives drawing off there husbands account having never made contributions themselves, children drawing if there father dies etc. I do have sympothy for these situations but the program simply can't sustain them.

That is all true, but the main problem remains:  Congress treated the SS fund as a piggy bank and took out almost all the money.  What amounts to IOU's they left behind to balance the books are worthless, hence the problems with SS today.  It's also true that people are living much longer now than they were, but the primary problem remains that Congress took the funds that were supposed to be left untouched and invested, to pay for unfunded wars, unfunded entitlements and all the other things that Congress fiddles money away on.  As long as our politicians can act irresponsibly with impunity things like this will continue to happen.  Start throwing these thieves in jail and things will change very quickly.

• Like 2

Bill H

Off topic, is anyone else having problems deleting quotes without screwing up the whole post? I only want to display the portion I am responding to but any editing screws up the whole thing.

Use the "selective quote" tab as I did with this quote.  You can select as much of the post as you wish, or as little, no need to delete anything.

Now you know!

Bill H

You don't need to wait for the superbug. Simply pick an age and make it very difficult to get care past that. Let's say we pick 80 as the magic age. If you have a condition that requires expensive care, simply administratively deny it until you expire. Not hard to do, have review panels that have to approve the care needed and have them function very slowly. To appear fair, have an appeals process that must be followed if care is denied. Staff that so your appeal will be heard in say 36-60 months and Bingo, your expenses go down.Sufferers of diseases at any age that are expensive to treat such as cancer, etc. would automatically be referred to these panels no matter what age and be offered only palliative care until such time as they die. See how easy it is to reduce costs? All these things could be done administratively simply by some faceless bureaucrat writing a regulation. As long as Congress and the politicians are exempted, there would be no meaningful resistance.

This is exactly how they could do it and that concerns me more than a little bit.  We may very well see this happening sooner than we think.  The incompetence of this administration is so extreme that the financial house of cards they are building is going to toppel, then they will be in panic mode and may resort to drastic measures.  One thing is certain, they will not accept responsibility and will work overtime to shift the blame to someone else.

There's been quit a bit of discussion about treason on this thread, but to me, what this administration is doing to run our country into the ground is the greatest act of treason our country has ever experienced.  We simply have to start holding these fat cat professional politicians accountable.  Hard to do though, when they keep offering the sheeple free stuff, and that's all the sheeple really care about.

• Like 2

Paul

Perhaps it is time to close this topic, allow COOLER HEADS to prevail

I disagree. As long as people are posting civilly, and not attacking each other, I see no reason to close this thread.

• Like 2

CardiacKid

Speaking of Social Security....Has anyone gotten their direct deposit for this month yet? Usually, when the 3rd falls on a Sunday or a Holiday, they give it out on the Friday before but, not this time...I guess the election is over and Obama can't run for a third term....

Dennis, I have mine deposited stateside and it was there on the 31st.

MaKe

Assuming that you have taxable income in the US and no health insurance, Universal Care (Obamacare) sounds like a good deal.  If you are working for someone who already provides health insurance, you won't need it and they won't force you to get it.  If  you are retired and you want some med insurance; Medicare for now..If you don't have taxable income, and stay for greater than 35 days, I don't see how you can be required purchase insurance, but if you live there for 6-8 months, I'd think you'd want something, especially if you have a family....

SkyMan

what would happen if some kind of superbug broke out and killed off a large percentage of the elderly and infirm?" The last bad outbreak was 1918,

Actually, I believe the pandemic of 1918 hit young healthy males the hardest. But I could be wrong.

Who does this benefit the most? Individuals that will not save money on their own, or do bad investments. I'm not fond of programs where the individuals that get the most out of it, are those that are the least responsible.

You are looking at this from the point of view of someone who's lived their entire life with the existence of SS.  Prior to SS, there was no SS (duh).  At its inception, there were many Americans immediately qualified to receive and many more about to receive.  There needed to be money coming in right away to start paying those that hadn't contributed or had contributed very little.  SS has never been about "You put in X so we're going to pay you back X with interest."  I agree with disliking the forced savings plan.  I'd rather get the money I worked for now and, oh yes, my employer's contribution too because he'd be able to pay me more if he weren't paying my SS.  But you know a lot of people are going to squander it away and then when they're in their 60s they're on the public dole somehow or other anyway.

lifeisgood

But you know a lot of people are going to squander it away and then when they're in their 60s they're on the public dole somehow or other anyway.

I would prefer to manage my own money for retirement but I know that something like Social Security is a must for exactly that reason.  If people are not forced to save then it will come  back to bite the people that did do the right thing.

Edited by lifeisgood
  • Like 1

JasonEcos

what would happen if some kind of superbug broke out and killed off a large percentage of the elderly and infirm?" The last bad outbreak was 1918,

Actually, I believe the pandemic of 1918 hit young healthy males the hardest. But I could be wrong.

You are right, the 1918 flu did hit healthy adults hardest because it wasn;t like most flus and people with a strong immune system had the worst time of it. I didn;t specifically mean that strain of bug...I just meant a bug in general and pointed to the 1918 one because it was the last major outbreak.

Some estimate the 1918 flu killed more soldiers during WW1 than enemy troops did. My grandfathers brother died of it while stationed overseas. Supposedly he was perfectly healthy, then dead the next day.  Nasty stuff.

JasonEcos

Savings are savings. In one case you have control over it, in the other case you are putting it into the hands of the government. If you prefer to have the government control your money, thats perfectly fine with me. I'm ok with SS being optional. I do not however like being forced to give my money, to a government that is not known for being responsible with money.

I appreciate your civil reply and I meant no disrespect. I think the basic concept is as valid as it was when it was founded many years ago. I would like to see it fixed and made legally sacrosanct; so future generations would be protected and future politicians cannot again raid and plunder it. But that won't be easy, there has to be compromises. When I was younger I greatly resented having my precious paycheck deducted to take care of "them". Slowly, day by day, "I" became "them"; suddenly it all made sense.

The concept itself  I don;t have a huge problem with (although I'm still not fond of being forced into stuff and wish it was optional)... If it was a Mother Theresa type running it I would feel a lot more comfortable than the average politcian overseeing it.  I wouldn;t trust most politicians to housesit for me for a week much less manage a large percentage of my paycheck for decades.

I'm still fairly young so I have decades of resentment left :D  Throw in the fact much of my adult life I have owned a small business and I get to pay double SS payments and it makes it that less fun....and I;m not very optimistic about the program still being around when I hit retirement age... If its not then it means I get to pay double payments for decades then theres nothing at the end of the rainbow.

• Like 1