Snake under my step

A_Simple_Man

lazydays

Philippine Cobra.

That's one species that is found here in the Philippines,but going on the description I thing it might be Naja Samarensis. 

Yeah the word Philippine Cobra is a bit misleading as it should be called the Northern Philippine Cobra as it's found mostly in Luzon and close neighbouring Islands. Naja Samarensis is different in colouring with a yellow head and commonly called the Visayan or South Eastern Cobra. Found mostly in areas as per map.

post-6307-0-44239800-1359753138_thumb.png

post-6307-0-05222400-1359753281_thumb.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_Simple_Man

• Headshot

• broden

• lazydays

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buy a Flute?

hire someone else to do it...

be sure to get some good close-ups so we can all see how you died get a proper identification.      really nothing wrong with your attitude.  in dealing with snakes discretion is always the better

Posted Images

lazydays

Naja Samarensis.

Commonly called the Visayan or South Eastern Cobra.

post-6307-0-82901900-1359753543_thumb.jpg

post-6307-0-15924600-1359753613_thumb.jpg

post-6307-0-71435400-1359753826_thumb.jpg

A_Simple_Man

OK...so you have a cobra living under your front step. Now what are you planning to do?

Well diesel fuel and a match comes to mind

Edit:  No need for anyone to be concerned on Cebu island.  I am on a much smaller island near Leyte and these buggers are common.  I just have not had one so up close and personal until now.  Note that he really does look too pretty to be dangerous and thats coming from a guy who has no love of snakes whatsoever.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
Canuck Joe

Yikes! I would for sure be sealing my doors better!

• Like 1
tom_shor

OK...so you have a cobra living under your front step. Now what are you planning to do?

Edit:  No need for anyone to be concerned on Cebu island.  I am on a much smaller island near Leyte and these buggers are common.  I just have not had one so up close and personal until now.  Note that he really does look too pretty to be dangerous and thats coming from a guy who has no love of snakes whatsoever.

Which Island?

2013  is  YEAR OF THE SNAKE 

Does it not mean good fortune to you if you have one in your premises ?           :unsure:

Statues of snakes selling everywhere in Cebu city for the ones that have not got the real one 

A_Simple_Man

Which Island?

Biliran

Statues of snakes selling everywhere in Cebu city for the ones that have not got the real one 

NOW OPEN!  U Pick Snake Farm . . . send PM
  • Like 1

Philippine Cobra.

That's one species that is found here in the Philippines,but going on the description I thing it might be Naja Samarensis. 

Yeah the word Philippine Cobra is a bit misleading as it should be called the Northern Philippine Cobra as it's found mostly in Luzon and close neighbouring Islands. Naja Samarensis is different in colouring with a yellow head and commonly called the Visayan or South Eastern Cobra. Found mostly in areas as per map.

Interesting, those buggers are everywhere except here on Cebu, why is that?  Negros too!  What they don't like the air here or what?

To Paul, or Admins, or Mods:

The first post links to one of Paul's pics.  When I searched the net it is what came up.  When I first linked to it, it came up.  Since then it has never come up and I keep getting an Error 504 Timeout.  Wazzup?  Anyone else able to see the link to the pic in post #1?  Here is the physical link

I fixed the image in the original post. I just noticed it.

gallery_1_99_1195.jpg

Headshot

Philippine Cobra.

Interesting, those buggers are everywhere except here on Cebu, why is that?  Negros too!  What they don't like the air here or what?

Ummm...two people have been bitten by cobras on Cebu in the last six months. What makes you think they aren't on Cebu? Just because some map doesn't show them here doesn't mean they aren't here. Maybe they were just hiding when they went looking for them. BTW, the map shows they aren't on Negros either...and yet they ARE on both islands.

• Like 1

Philippine Cobra.

Ummm...two people have been bitten by cobras on Cebu in the last six months. What makes you think they aren't on Cebu? Just because some map doesn't show them here doesn't mean they aren't here. Maybe they were just hiding when they went looking for them. BTW, the map shows they aren't on Negros either...and yet they ARE on both islands.

Did they survive?  When the guy was bitten at the zoo didn't they say there was no anti-venom on the entire island?

Headshot

I would be careful about lighting a fire under my front porch if I were you...  :frantic:

Headshot

Did they survive?  When the guy was bitten at the zoo didn't they say there was no anti-venom on the entire island?

Both of them survived (anti-venom was flown in), and neither snake was captured. Oh...and the one cobra was NEAR the zoo, but wasn't FROM the zoo. Both cobras were wild snakes.

hookedtothenet

Here is the link for ICUN redlist for Naja Samarensis.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/169763/0

It lists the recorded localities of this species, however it is possible that it is found on other islands and hasn't yet been recorded.

On Panay island we have recorded the King Cobra, however there hasn't been any recent sightings in the last few years, that doesn't mean they aren't there though.

In Australia I used to be a member of Wires(Native animal rescue Organization) and we would  catch and relocate problem snakes and other wildlife free of charge, here in the Philippines it is left to Zoo's (If any are near by) and then police or just plain dealt with by the person who finds it and his machete!

Have no doubt that these snakes have the potential to kill or blind their victims so they do need to be relocated/removed from human dwellings without delay and then take precautions to try and prevent the snakes returning, although sometimes that can be very hard.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Both of them survived (anti-venom was flown in), and neither snake was captured. Oh...and the one cobra was NEAR the zoo, but wasn't FROM the zoo. Both cobras were wild snakes.

fugitives 

• Like 1