Snake under my step

A_Simple_Man

A_Simple_Man

Chances are it is nothing but a common rat snake.

Thanks for the advice but I've seen it and would not bet my life on that advice.  Locals who have been bitten by cobras survive about 1 hour.  As it does not appear too aggressive I am waiting for it to come out for a photograph but I am also thinking how prolific he/she may be and that gives me concern.

As far as locals thinking every snake is a cobra, that may be, but they have been sleeping next to them all their lives and I have not so I may not listen to the casual conversation saying:  Oh that must be cobra.  But when someone is pointing and screaming cobra and telling tales of people who have been bitten and died by just such a snake I tend to give them an ear..

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_Simple_Man

• Headshot

• broden

• lazydays

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buy a Flute?

hire someone else to do it...

be sure to get some good close-ups so we can all see how you died get a proper identification.      really nothing wrong with your attitude.  in dealing with snakes discretion is always the better

Posted Images

I am waiting for it to come out for a photograph

be sure to get some good close-ups so we can all see how you died get a proper identification. 

really nothing wrong with your attitude.  in dealing with snakes discretion is always the better part of valor.

• Like 4
A_Simple_Man

To Paul, or Admins, or Mods:

The first post links to one of Paul's pics.  When I searched the net it is what came up.  When I first linked to it, it came up.  Since then it has never come up and I keep getting an Error 504 Timeout.  Wazzup?  Anyone else able to see the link to the pic in post #1?  Here is the physical link

http://64.19.142.10/64.19.142.11/www.livingincebuforums.com/uploads/1241526907/gallery_1_99_1195.jpg

hookedtothenet

Philippine Cobra.

That's one species that is found here in the Philippines,but going on the description I thing it might be Naja Samarensis. 

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

The first post links to one of Paul's pics.  When I searched the net it is what came up.  When I first linked to it, it came up.  Since then it has never come up and I keep getting an Error 504 Timeout.  Wazzup?  Anyone else able to see the link to the pic in post #1?  Here is the physical link

http://64.19.142.10/64.19.142.11/www.livingincebuforums.com/uploads/1241526907/gallery_1_99_1195.jpg

i pmed Steve about it

other than that

have you been sorting through your snake recipies for when you catch it?

tom_shor

i pmed Steve about it

other than that

have you been sorting through your snake recipies for when you catch it?

Tastes just like chicken. Especially if he has just eaten a chicken.

• Like 2
A_Simple_Man

I thing it might be Naja Samarensis. 

Thats it.  100% sure that is is.  I just googled images of that one and it is what I saw on my sidewalk.  Only thing different is no puffed up neck on my snake.  But it was not alarmed so maybe that is why.  Now I have to read up on it.

• Like 1
Headshot

OK...so you have a cobra living under your front step. Now what are you planning to do? I would say it is time to ask the barangay captain to get the local snake guy to get rid of it for you. If there is nobody around who is qualified to catch or kill a cobra, you can try spraying Raid cockroach killer into the hole. If you can, operate the spray nozzle remotely, since the snake will not be happy when it comes out. Make sure that anybody in the area is wearing full face protection to ensure that no venom get in eyes, nose or mouth. Once the cobra is gone, you may want to saturate the hole with the insect spray just in case the cobra has laid eggs in the hole. BTW, what island are you on?

Edited by Headshot

I would say it is time to ask the barangay captain to get the local snake guy to get rid of it for you.

or, if you have any troublesome in-laws looking for some spare change, offer them a good price to dig a hole under the sidewalk in order to run some electric cable or water pipes or whatever might sound believable to them... 

run a hose from the tailpipe of your car to the entrance hole?

battleborn

I hear loud punk rock music will drive it away. Try it all night long.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

get rid of it very quietly and let everyone keep thinking you have cobra's all over your place .. you'll never have to lock your door again

• Like 3
Mattnlenny

I would not believe what your told by most.  99.9% of the locals think every snake they see is a cobra!  Chances are it is nothing but a common rat snake.  I have see several snakes over the past four years and not one has ever been a cobra, let alone venomous, however every local has sworn they were!  Snakes invoke fear,  most are actually good for the Eco system (varmint control).  However if you feel threatened just flood his home and block the entrance or wait for him to make a break for it and decapitate him.  You might get some door sweeps or thresholds for your doors as well.  All snakes like a warm spot at night! 

Fancy a local thinking they know how to ID a local snake......arrogant little buggers!