Sign in to follow this  
A_Simple_Man

Snake under my step

A_Simple_Man

I have a snake living under my front door sidewalk.  I saw it when I was heading out the door and stopped quick because I know there are cobras in the area.  Unfortunately I am not an expert but my wife looked at it and said it is definitely a cobra.

Its between 2 and 3 feet long (approximately 2 1/2) and its the thickness of a small garden hose.  Color is mainly black with a yellow head.  It hides extremely well in the grass but I got a good look at it as it crossed the sidewalk and went underneath.  Have not got a picture yet so I searched the net to see if I could find a likeness and the nearest I could find was a picture that Paul posted some time back,.  It looks like this picture but the neck is not all puffed out.  The snake was ignoring me so not acting at all threatened.  Unfortunately it would be very easy for the darn thing to come in under the door as it is not a tight fit and it has me concerned.  Here is the pic Paul took that looks a lot like 'my' snake except mine looks pretty (would look prettier from a long long distance though):

gallery_1_99_1195.jpg

So the wife is repeating kill it, kill it every 5 minutes but I don't even know how I am going to get it to com out from under the sidewalk.  All I know is, if its a cobra like she thinks (and even if its not actually) I don't want it under my step.

Options?

battleborn

Buy a Flute?

• Like 8

smokey

hire someone else to do it...

• Like 5

spooks

"It looks like this picture but the neck is not all puffed out.  The snake was ignoring me so not acting at all threatened"

annoy it and if the ribs at the neck end puff out it is a Cobra, probably common asiatic, yes they are venemous.

• Like 1

MrSuave

All the cobras I've seen on Leyte were black with yellow stripes on the side. I've seen four (4).

• Like 1

State Trooper

My neighbor just killed a 42" long Cobra that was in his house today..Snake was Yellow with black markings..Ive killed at least 5 snakes in my house in the past 2 years but they tell me they are just "rat snakes" (red tails)..All were about 18" long.......Doesnt matter to me what the species..a good snake is a dead snake.

• Like 2

A_Simple_Man

My neighbor just killed a 42" long Cobra that was in his house today.

How?

I grew up in an area where there were no snakes.  I hear that these cobras are fast and spit poison.  Local old wive's tales have it that if you don't kill them first try they follow you to bed and bite you in your sleep (yeah that last one is a bit much but they do say that)

Monsoon

Smoke him out then kill him.

Paul

Buy a Flute?

God, that was funny as hell. What's really funny is, I can actually picture Dave doing just that. :D

Seriously, I would find out if it is a venomous snake, or not. If not, perhaps a rat snake of some sort? May not be a bad thing having it under there.

Bill H

Ask the Brgy Captain who the local snake expert is and hire him to resolve the problem one way or the other.  If it's not venomous, I'd leave him be, cuz anything that eats rats and won't kill me is a good thing in my book!

rfm010

Here is the pic Paul took that looks a lot like 'my' snake except mine looks pretty (would look prettier from a long long distance though):

amazing how guys always think their own snake is prettiest...

if you just want to get it out from under the sidewalk, and you see a point of entrance, try mothballs.  some people claim this will drive snakes out.  but the snake is there because food is nearby, so the snake may not move far. 

by the way, the old wive's tale is true.  sleep tight!

• Like 3

MrSuave

Machete, machete, machete.  My help always used a big stick to kill the cobras. Then, after they thought it was dead they would chop off the head with their machete. 

What I didn't like, was that they killed all snakes, including rat snakes.  I think those should just be relocated away from the house. Maybe all around the property so the rats couldn't get in.  Good security ... cheaper than dogs. 

:drink:

hookedtothenet

Sounds like it could well be a Cobra but I can't see the photo you have posted.   Remember all the Philippine cobra's with exception of the King Cobra can spit venom as well as bite, so wear goggles or at the least large sunnies when attempting to deal with cobra's here in RP.

m60man

I would not believe what your told by most.  99.9% of the locals think every snake they see is a cobra!  Chances are it is nothing but a common rat snake.  I have see several snakes over the past four years and not one has ever been a cobra, let alone venomous, however every local has sworn they were!  Snakes invoke fear,  most are actually good for the Eco system (varmint control).  However if you feel threatened just flood his home and block the entrance or wait for him to make a break for it and decapitate him.  You might get some door sweeps or thresholds for your doors as well.  All snakes like a warm spot at night! 

broden

Here is the pic Paul took that looks a lot like 'my' snake except mine looks pretty (would look prettier from a long long distance though):

amazing how guys always think their own snake is prettiest...

if you just want to get it out from under the sidewalk, and you see a point of entrance, try mothballs.  some people claim this will drive snakes out.  but the snake is there because food is nearby, so the snake may not move far. 

by the way, the old wive's tale is true.  sleep tight!

yeah i was going to say mothballs .. our realtor mentioned them and a product called snake away never tried either though but he seemed happy with them