Western Union Question

newtocebu

Can somebody please advise whether a Western Union branch in the Philippines will transfer Aussie Dollars back to Australia.

ie - can you walk into a Western Union branch in the Philippines with Aussie Dollars and transfer that amount ( minus transaction fees etc ) to a recipient in Aus ?

The reason I ask - I am trying to avoid their outrageous currency conversion rate.

We can change PHP back to AUD in cash at a rate of 43.45 ( based on todays rate ) at a money changer.

Western Union's rate is 45.33 ( we have a fairly significant amount to change, so a fairly significant amount to lose through rate variation )

We want to avoid having to bring AUD ( in cash ) on the flight to Aus.

Thanks in advance..

smokey

i think your best bet is to wire it ... even western union will report large amounts

Mattnlenny

Where are you converting back to AUD for 43.45?  I'll be doing the same thing soon.

udonthani

what I don't understand is why you don't just walk into one of the thousands of Western Union outlets in the Philippines (though preferably one of the larger ones, where they have better staff and a higher turnover) and ask them. Why ask here what Western Union does or doesn't do when you can throw a stone in all probability from where you are right now that would likely hit one of their offices.

If you have AUssie dollars, take them back with you on the plane or you could lose 5 to 10% on the currency conversion

If you have more than $10K show the customs in Oz where the money came from (bank a/cs in PI)

• Like 1

what I don't understand is why you don't just walk into one of the thousands of Western Union outlets in the Philippines (though preferably one of the larger ones, where they have better staff and a higher turnover) and ask them. Why ask here what Western Union does or doesn't do when you can throw a stone in all probability from where you are right now that would likely hit one of their offices.

thats unfair.

they will only say no, instead of i dont know. ive tried sending money out of philippines (using moneygram); many places say no till you insist they can, and then hey presto, its all done

lazydays

Dependent on how much, WU have limits on what you can send without interrogation.

newtocebu

Im in Aus at the moment..

If you have AUssie dollars, take them back with you on the plane or you could lose 5 to 10% on the currency conversion

If you have more than $10K show the customs in Oz where the money came from (bank a/cs in PI)

Cheers.. I wanted to avoid having to bring a large quantity of cash on the plane - I dont want it to go 'missing' at one of the numerous security check-points at the airport. 

Where are you converting back to AUD for 43.45?  I'll be doing the same thing soon.

Sent you a PM mate..

ed villas

do you have a philippine bank account? then transfer the money that way.

send AUS$ back to AUS.. no no no. it cant be done,,