brownouts ( the longest one yet )

throttleplate

i live in a nice hotel for the last 9 months,i am spoiled as a generator is immediatly started when the brownouts hit,thats another reason i havnt moved out yet as i lived before in dipolog city and went through daily browns back in 2010 during the drought and it made for a shitty day and or night.Here in iloilo a 2500 watt chineese gen goes for 400.00 dollars and i would buy one this time as i didnt come here to live and pretend its a camping trip, it gets old having to leave your home to find a place to hang untill the power comes back on.

Edited by throttleplate
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• CebuKano

• panther

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the contrary, there are many brands of high quality commercial generator available here. You will never see a Honda powering a hotel, beach resort, call center, or restaurant of any size in the Phi

When in the Philippines, speak like a Filipino?   But it 'bugs' me somewhat, as a Professional I.Eng., to hear Electrical terms, wrongly used, like 'Brownout'!   What color is brown - the color of

Thats exactly it, Dave. For them, it's a brownout. For us, power cut or black out.   Whether it is proper or not, it will be a hell of a lot easier to say it as they do. Because, you can bet your as

Canuck Joe

My longest brownout was about 2 ft. Hard to tell with the coils but there was a lot of complaints in my house.

Not sure what the remedy is...maybe flax capacitor in the main line.

Headshot

My longest brownout was about 2 ft. Hard to tell with the coils but there was a lot of complaints in my house.

Not sure what the remedy is...maybe flax capacitor in the main line.

Well Hell...if you had a flax (flux) capacitor, you wouldn't need a generator. Carry on.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2
David_LivinginTalisay

Sha-Sha /Ana-K,failed to hook up my Optimate IIISP Charger,to keep the MotoLite MF5L-B Battery in charged up condition.

Then when they knew I was coming back to Cebu, they panicked and had the battery removed.

They charged  (with a 7A Car Charger), which 'cooked' the little maintenance free Motorcycle Battery of just 5AH rating!

As a general rule, 1/10th of battery capacity is recommended for charging lead-acid batteries,ie  just 0.5A normally!

I had trouble starting my Yamaha XT225 'Serrow' after 4 months away, even with  a NEW MotoLite MF5L-B. (tCat had put on the Optimate IIISP Charger and got the 'Green' indicating fully charged).

The problem being the FUEL in the Tank and Carburetor (as Shadow mentioned).

I had tun the Carb Bowl dry, before I left, then turned the fuel stopcock tap on before I attempted starting, using the electric boot.

As it failed to start I opened the brain bowl screw, until gasoline was flowing from the drain tube.  It still failed to start, but nearly started several times.

I put the battery on Charge again, and tried again the next morning.  This time I used the Choke 50% on and no throttle opening, and it started just fine.  But on opening the throttle it died. It did not tick over as smoothly as it normally did and was prone to stalling.

I let 'Tony' (ex Norkis Mechanic,factory trained by Yamaha, in Japan, and given full set of Yamaha Factory Service Tools, and allowed to keep them when he retired from Norkis), take a look at it.

Runs as sweet as it did before, again.

Tony strongly suggested NOT to use standard unleaded in my XT225

He said to buy the Super Premium (Red in colour) gasoline (especially if leaving 'idle/not used', for more than a week)!

I will go one step further, Diesel fuel's shelf life is much longer than gasoline. The number one cause of a gasoline engine that has been stored to not start is rotten fuel, varnished carburetor, etc... Gasoline here is rather poor quality, and hasn't much shelf life. Three months in hot weather is enough to make it go bad.

smokey

After moving to bacolod 14 days ago I have expeirenced 8 days from 14 days of brownouts today being the longest one at 9 hours .I certainly was,nt expecting brownouts on this scale when I moved here i,m hoping things will improve ,The thing that annoys me the most is they never tell you how long or what the reason for them is.now I,M looking for advice from you guys ,my bro n law has an internet cafe with 18 units and a water purifying station side by side ,he,s losing a lot of money from the brownouts .Does anyone know what type of generator would be required to feed enough power to run these 2 busineses the water purifyer needs 3 kilowatts to run but not sure about the cafe any help please and possible costs.

Panther, I guess my question is what did he do when brownouts occurred before you moved to Bacolod?

i think he was moving there because it is less crowded and cost less .... well he sure will save on his electric bill 

• Like 1

After moving to bacolod 14 days ago I have expeirenced 8 days from 14 days of brownouts today being the longest one at 9 hours .I certainly was,nt expecting brownouts on this scale when I moved here i,m hoping things will improve ,The thing that annoys me the most is they never tell you how long or what the reason for them is.now I,M looking for advice from you guys ,my bro n law has an internet cafe with 18 units and a water purifying station side by side ,he,s losing a lot of money from the brownouts .Does anyone know what type of generator would be required to feed enough power to run these 2 busineses the water purifyer needs 3 kilowatts to run but not sure about the cafe any help please and possible costs.

Panther, I guess my question is what did he do when brownouts occurred before you moved to Bacolod?

sit and suffer i guess but he did point out that these brownouts have been more frequent than normal

smokey

sit and suffer i guess but he did point out that these brownouts have been more frequent than normal

think of it as part of the culture ,,, part of the experience part of the reason it cost LESS ... to live in paradise 

Brownouts in Bacolod happen two or three times a week most of the time.  Luckily, I live about 200m from a resort  in the subdivision, and when they happen, I just walk down there and go for a swim or have a beer.

what resort would that be ?

streak03

I live in the Palmas Del Mar subdivision next to the old airport.

• Like 1

I live in the Palmas Del Mar subdivision next to the old airport.

i,m in baranguy granada i,m not sure how much of bacolod is affected when we get the brownouts ,maybe its localised in just a few sub divisions .My bro n law said this time around it was because they were cutting trees down that were interfering with the cables .Its about time they were burying the cables underground like normal countries do lol

streak03

I don't know, the wife is telling me that we are having brownouts about every second or third day.  That seems to be the norm there and it pisses her off to no end as well.

Skywalker

I had a long brownout this morning - a 3 flush job!   :toilet:

• 2 months later...

I thought its only in Mindanao where brownouts is very extreme... In general santos we have 6-7 hours a day of brownouts.

• 2 weeks later...
Knowdafish

In Dumaguete brownouts are few and far between, thank God, unless a typhoon blows through.

ellenbrook2001

Welcome too the PHILIPPINES here in CEBU so far not too many problems yet but last year was bad grr