brownouts ( the longest one yet )

thebob

The water station machinery is just an electric motor running a pump. It would be cheaper to just drive that pump directly from a suitably rated engine. Although, depending on volume it might be cheaper to just buy one days worth of extra bottles and keep a stock. If you have the space.

The internet cafe is difficult, because it depends on the age of your units. Newer computers use far less power than those of just a few years ago. Whatever you do, insulating the cafe so that you use the least power for cooling, will save your power bills and mean that your genset won't be working so hard.

• Like 2
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• CebuKano

• panther

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the contrary, there are many brands of high quality commercial generator available here. You will never see a Honda powering a hotel, beach resort, call center, or restaurant of any size in the Phi

When in the Philippines, speak like a Filipino?   But it 'bugs' me somewhat, as a Professional I.Eng., to hear Electrical terms, wrongly used, like 'Brownout'!   What color is brown - the color of

Thats exactly it, Dave. For them, it's a brownout. For us, power cut or black out.   Whether it is proper or not, it will be a hell of a lot easier to say it as they do. Because, you can bet your as

Not to mention, if you were to convert it to LPG, it would lose what, Larry, 15% to 20% of its rated output? I won't mention using natural gas, since it is not available in the Philippines anyway.

While natural gas is not available in the Philippines, biogas is. It's interesting the project that I worked on a few years back to put together a community biogas generator. It was focused on providing cooking gas, but it could have just as easily been used to provide very cheap biogas to run a generator.
  • Like 2
Davaoeno

United Kingdom

Engineering practice is not regulated in the UK and one does not need a license to work as professional engineer. The term "professional engineer" or "engineer", has no legal meaning in the UK and is sometimes used to describe mechanics, installers, and maintenance workers, e.g. Gas Safe Register engineer, or British Telecom - telephone engineer. An

thebob

Engineering practice is not regulated in the UK and one does not need a license to work as professional engineer.

Licensed does not mean professional.

pro·fes·sion·al

[pruh-fesh-uh-nl]  

adjective

following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: professional builder.
of, pertaining to, or connected with a professionprofessional studies.
appropriate to a professionprofessional objectivity.
engaged in one of the learned professionsA lawyer is professional person.
following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as apastime: a professional golfer.

• Like 1

After moving to bacolod 14 days ago I have expeirenced 8 days from 14 days of brownouts today being the longest one at 9 hours

Just thought you may like to know. An area of the city I currently live in, is going into their 6th day without power.

its not more fun living in cambodia lol

thanks for all your input will discuss with bro n law on the way to go forward ,he,s pulling his hair out in frustration ,how you supposed to run a business with all this crap going on .

• Like 1

I wish you the best in your decision.

By the way, Bacolod previously had two NAPACOR barges near the pier, both of which supplied additional power needs for the city. Have they been taken away?

Thelandofku-an

Engineering practice is not regulated in the UK and one does not need a license to work as professional engineer.

Licensed does not mean professional.

pro·fes·sion·al

[pruh-fesh-uh-nl]  

adjective

following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: professional builder.

of, pertaining to, or connected with a professionprofessional studies.

appropriate to a professionprofessional objectivity.

engaged in one of the learned professionsA lawyer is professional person.

following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as apastime: a professional golfer.

Thought you might like this, can I add it to your thread pls?  

ex-pert

[ex-spurt]

1. Someone who can't get it up anymore.

2. A redundant drip.

United Kingdom

Engineering practice is not regulated in the UK and one does not need a license to work as professional engineer. The term "professional engineer" or "engineer", has no legal meaning in the UK and is sometimes used to describe mechanics, installers, and maintenance workers, e.g. Gas Safe Register engineer, or British Telecom - telephone engineer. An

Domestic engineer...housewife or house person

• Like 1
thebob

Thought you might like this, can I add it to your thread pls?     ex-pert   [ex-spurt]   1. Someone who can't get it up anymore.   2. A redundant drip.

No!

streak03

Brownouts in Bacolod happen two or three times a week most of the time.  Luckily, I live about 200m from a resort  in the subdivision, and when they happen, I just walk down there and go for a swim or have a beer.

streak03

After moving to bacolod 14 days ago I have expeirenced 8 days from 14 days of brownouts today being the longest one at 9 hours .I certainly was,nt expecting brownouts on this scale when I moved here i,m hoping things will improve ,The thing that annoys me the most is they never tell you how long or what the reason for them is.now I,M looking for advice from you guys ,my bro n law has an internet cafe with 18 units and a water purifying station side by side ,he,s losing a lot of money from the brownouts .Does anyone know what type of generator would be required to feed enough power to run these 2 busineses the water purifyer needs 3 kilowatts to run but not sure about the cafe any help please and possible costs.

Panther, I guess my question is what did he do when brownouts occurred before you moved to Bacolod?

• Like 1
SkyMan

When in the Philippines, speak like a Filipino?

Thats exactly it, Dave. For them, it's a brownout. For us, power cut or black out.

Whether it is proper or not, it will be a hell of a lot easier to say it as they do. Because, you can bet your ass, we will not be changing the way they say it. Php 1,000 for every Php 1 of yours, for every Filipino you convert and cause them to use the term "power cut". If you think you will get a Filipno to start saying, "We had a power cut today," you have gone round the bend, mate.

Whether I change them or not doesn't matter to me.  I've experienced brown outs but never here in the PI.  When I say black out everyone understands and when they say brown out I understand.  Walay problema.

one point I have not seen here in this discussion:

it is much more safe to store dieseloil than gasoline - important for the stock you must have, if you want to run the engine over a longer period.

personally I would prefer a diesel engine - since long time I am looking for the one displayed in ACE hardware for about 65.000 PHP with electric starter. but because of the price I will not buy it.

by the way: VECO is publishing scheduled 'brownouts' on their webpage.

November 27, 2012 - Tuesday bullet3.jpgTime : 5:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. (12hrs)   Purpose : To facilitate stringing of lines & feeder splitting   Areas affected:     Portion of Brgy Calajoan, Pungtod, Pakigne & Tubod, Minglanilla including Sitio Sangi, Cantibhang & Crossing, Soft Touch Subd, Holy Family Subd, South Plains Subd, Villa Celina 2B, Pakigne Brgy Hall, Montessori Academy of Southern Cebu, Tubod Nat'l High School, Minglanilla Emergency Hospital, Great Lines Corp, GT ind'l Dev Corp, Classicware Eximport Co Inc, Anseca Dev Corp, Kenrich Dev Corp     bullet3.jpgTime : 9:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. (4hrs)   Purpose : To facilitate upgrading of transformer   Areas affected:     Portion of Brgy Tisa, Cebu City including Sitio Caduloy, portion of Tisa Hills Subd, portion of Gochan Subd

as I now, my area will be affected tomorrow, I will be in the city all day.

more boring are the brownouts that are not announced, for example when somebody in the neighborhood overload our supply lines with a big welding machine.

shadow

I will go one step further, Diesel fuel's shelf life is much longer than gasoline. The number one cause of a gasoline engine that has been stored to not start is rotten fuel, varnished carburetor, etc... Gasoline here is rather poor quality, and hasn't much shelf life. Three months in hot weather is enough to make it go bad.

it is much more safe to store dieseloil than gasoline - important for the stock you must have,

• Like 1