brownouts ( the longest one yet )

After moving to bacolod 14 days ago I have expeirenced 8 days from 14 days of brownouts today being the longest one at 9 hours .I certainly was,nt expecting brownouts on this scale when I moved here i,m hoping things will improve ,The thing that annoys me the most is they never tell you how long or what the reason for them is.now I,M looking for advice from you guys ,my bro n law has an internet cafe with 18 units and a water purifying station side by side ,he,s losing a lot of money from the brownouts .Does anyone know what type of generator would be required to feed enough power to run these 2 busineses the water purifyer needs 3 kilowatts to run but not sure about the cafe any help please and possible costs.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• CebuKano

• panther

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On the contrary, there are many brands of high quality commercial generator available here. You will never see a Honda powering a hotel, beach resort, call center, or restaurant of any size in the Phi

When in the Philippines, speak like a Filipino?   But it 'bugs' me somewhat, as a Professional I.Eng., to hear Electrical terms, wrongly used, like 'Brownout'!   What color is brown - the color of

Thats exactly it, Dave. For them, it's a brownout. For us, power cut or black out.   Whether it is proper or not, it will be a hell of a lot easier to say it as they do. Because, you can bet your as

Advice: Move to Sihanoukville, Cambodia. You ain't seen nothing yet. It can get worse.

Generator: Buy a diesel generator only. Minimum capacity: 15kva.

Edited by Paul
Thelandofku-an

Even here; in 1990 typhoon "Ruping" gave us a three month power black-out in Pardo Cebu, and we had to ride a boat from pier 1 to get to Mactan airport for the next nine months cos the one and only bridge at that time got damaged too!

• Like 2
CebuKano

After moving to bacolod 14 days ago I have expeirenced 8 days from 14 days of brownouts today being the longest one at 9 hours .I certainly was,nt expecting brownouts on this scale when I moved here i,m hoping things will improve ,The thing that annoys me the most is they never tell you how long or what the reason for them is.now I,M looking for advice from you guys ,my bro n law has an internet cafe with 18 units and a water purifying station side by side ,he,s losing a lot of money from the brownouts .Does anyone know what type of generator would be required to feed enough power to run these 2 busineses the water purifyer needs 3 kilowatts to run but not sure about the cafe any help please and possible costs.

Brownouts are just a part of life here' they often happen due to overloaded transformers that' over time' are exposed to drastic fluctuations in voltage and amps' that shorten their life. In our neighborhood we experience a few brownouts each year but it's no big deal.

No matter what' if you decide to purchase a generator' make sure that you buy a Honda brand. The other types sold here are junk and will most likely feck up your appliances with dirty electricity and voltage underage/overage' not to mention that the generator windings will go to hell in short order if you buy a cheap' crappy one. In other words' you get what you pay for.

• Like 3
shadow

Brownouts are just a part of life here' they often happen due to overloaded transformers that' over time' are exposed to drastic fluctuations in voltage and amps' that shorten their life. In our neighborhood we experience a few brownouts each year but it's no big deal.

No matter what' if you decide to purchase a generator' make sure that you buy a Honda brand. The other types sold here are junk and will most likely feck up your appliances with dirty electricity and voltage underage/overage' not to mention that the generator windings will go to hell in short order if you buy a cheap' crappy one. In other words' you get what you pay for.

On the contrary, there are many brands of high quality commercial generator available here. You will never see a Honda powering a hotel, beach resort, call center, or restaurant of any size in the Philippines. They are too expensive to purchase and too expensive to operate, being gasoline VS diesel. There is a large variety of surplus top-of-the-line commercial generators here as surplus units. A good brand of industrial 15 KW diesel gen with 3 cylinder Yanmar engine will run P150,000 to P200,000, and will cost a fraction to run as the Honda. 

Even the cheap China units one can put voltage regulators, AVRs, and surge/spike suppressors on. If you compare the cost of Honda VS China the difference is horrendous. A 15 KW China gen can be had for P50,000 brand new, and will be MUCH cheaper to run than a 10 kw Honda gas model that costs P200,000+. The Honda will burn 4 liters of gasoline per hour at a cost of P220 per hour, while the 15 KW China gen will burn 1.5 liters of diesel at a cost of P70 per hour. I love Honda products too, but the cost difference is hard to justify when you will spend 4 times as much for a 30% lesser KW gen that costs 3 times as much to operate. As for maintenance/repairs, a piston for a 15 KW china gen costs P400 and is in stock, a piston for a Honda 10 KW,... P3000+ and "sorry, no stock". An air filter for the China model,... P150 and is in stock, for the Honda,...P2000+, sorry, no stock.

How do I know this? From working on them, both here and in the US.

Honda's do have their place, but it is not in the Philippines!

Edited by shadow
  • Like 8
David_LivinginTalisay

When in the Philippines, speak like a Filipino?

But it 'bugs' me somewhat, as a Professional I.Eng., to hear Electrical terms, wrongly used, like 'Brownout'!

What color is brown - the color of SHIT!

What color is BLACK - the colour of NIGHT- pitch black!

I was taught in my MOD Apprenticeship in the UK,that TOTAL LOSS of Electric Power, is referred to as a Blackout.

In contrast a dip and/or reduction in electric power is a Brownout

ie in a Brownout, there is still Power, just degraded (reduced) voltage!

BROWN is not (normally) the same as BLACK!
But apparently, here in the Philippines, a Power Cut is not BLACK, but BROWN!
Filipinos think Brown is the same as Black (when referring to Power definitions)

Brownout (electricity)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other uses, see Brownout (disambiguation).

A brownout is an intentional or unintentional drop in voltage in an electrical power supply system. Intentional brownouts are used for load reduction in an emergency.[1]

The reduction lasts for minutes or hours, as opposed to short-term voltage sag or dip.

The term brownout comes from the dimming experienced by lighting when the voltage sags. A voltage reduction may be an effect of disruption of an electrical grid, or may occasionally be imposed in an effort to reduce load and prevent a blackout.[2]

In the Philippines, the term brownout refers to an intentional or unintentional power outage or blackout, not to a drop in voltage.[3]

A power outage (also power cut, blackout, or power failure) is a short- or long-term loss
of the electric power to an area.

(Only in the Philippines, it is referred to /known/ described as a 'Brownout' however!)

There are many causes of power failures in an electricity network.

Examples of these causes include faults at power stations, damage to electric transmission lines,
substations or other parts of the distribution system, a short circuit, or the overloading of electricity mains.

A power dip is a very short drop in voltage in a system (generally home AC wiring).

It is most commonly observed when a high-current device (such as a hair dryer, microwave, or table saw) is
switched on and lights in the same system will dim momentarily. Thereare also other sources for voltage
dips coming from places higher up in the distribution stream, than an individual home.

While most electrical devices are not adversely effected, device that need a more reliable voltage can be

protected with the use of an uninterruptible power supply.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
  • Like 7
shadow

You are going to need a pretty good sized gen, 15 KW or so. Recommend a good diesel, preferably something like a Yanmar 3TN. Check with some of the surplus importers, expect to pay P200,000+ for a decent Japan made unit. If that is out of your budget look into some of the China made units, see my previous post. PM me if you want more info.

• Like 2
CebuKano

On the contrary, there are many brands of high quality commercial generator available here. You will never see a Honda powering a hotel, beach resort, call center, or restaurant of any size in the Philippines. They are too expensive to purchase and too expensive to operate, being gasoline VS diesel. There is a large variety of surplus top-of-the-line commercial generators here as surplus units. A good brand of industrial 15 KW diesel gen with 3 cylinder Yanmar engine will run P150,000 to P200,000, and will cost a fraction to run as the Honda. 

Even the cheap China units one can put voltage regulators, AVRs, and surge/spike suppressors on. If you compare the cost of Honda VS China the difference is horrendous. A 15 KW China gen can be had for P50,000 brand new, and will be MUCH cheaper to run than a 10 kw Honda gas model that costs P200,000+. The Honda will burn 4 liters of gasoline per hour at a cost of P220 per hour, while the 15 KW China gen will burn 1.5 liters of diesel at a cost of P70 per hour. I love Honda products too, but the cost difference is hard to justify when you will spend 4 times as much for a 30% lesser KW gen that costs 3 times as much to operate. As for maintenance/repairs, a piston for a 15 KW china gen costs P400 and is in stock, a piston for a Honda 10 KW,... P3000+ and "sorry, no stock". An air filter for the China model,... P150 and is in stock, for the Honda,...P2000+, sorry, no stock.

Commercial units are in no way comparable with retail. I will guarantee you that the China crap retail generators will NOT last as long as a Honda. Period. No matter how you might try to spin it. Been there, done that.

When in the Philippines, speak like a Filipino?

Thats exactly it, Dave. For them, it's a brownout. For us, power cut or black out.

Whether it is proper or not, it will be a hell of a lot easier to say it as they do. Because, you can bet your ass, we will not be changing the way they say it. Php 1,000 for every Php 1 of yours, for every Filipino you convert and cause them to use the term "power cut". If you think you will get a Filipno to start saying, "We had a power cut today," you have gone round the bend, mate.

• Like 6
JasonEcos

I;ve no experience with generators but shouldn't you be able to look on your electric bill at your consumption rate then divide that by how many hours you are open to get the needed kw rating? (then of course go a bit higher to be on the safe side)

ANd yeah brownouts are no fun. Last year we had them near daily for a few months. It wouldn't be so bad if they did them on a schedule, then you could plan around them.

CebuKano

I;ve no experience with generators but shouldn't you be able to look on your electric bill at your consumption rate then divide that by how many hours you are open to get the needed kw rating? (then of course go a bit higher to be on the safe side)

ANd yeah brownouts are no fun. Last year we had them near daily for a few months. It wouldn't be so bad if they did them on a schedule, then you could plan around them.

Actually most people end up purchasing a unit that will provide about 3/4 of their total normal electrical load on average because most people are willing to "strip" their power consumption load during a brown/blackout. The presumption being that the outage will not normally last more than a few hours.

• Like 1
shadow

Commercial units are in no way comparable with retail. I will guarantee you that the China crap retail generators will NOT last as long as a Honda. Period. No matter how you might try to spin it. Been there, done that.

I didn't imply they would. However, it would take years to wear one out, and you could buy FOUR of them for the cost of a much lesser KW Honda! The fuel savings alone will replace the "China crap". For his application he is going to need something substantial (not a homeowner or contractor type unit), which more or less leaves Honda out of the picture.

Let's see, 18 computers at P15 per hour, maximum gross income of 270 pesos per hour. 10 KW Honda costs approximately P220 per hour in fuel alone...

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1

No. Here is why. The most I use is about 5 Kwh per 24 hour period, 180 Kwh per month. But, it would take a generator much larger then 5 Kilowatts to run my home. The starting power needs of the split air-con and refrigerator, would cause that to need to be significantly higher.

Just the 1 hp split air-con draws 2.65kw to start the compressor, and right at 1.0kw to run the compressor. Motors and compressors need about three times their rated running power added for starting them.

So, if you needed say 5 Kilowatts for running, you would, typically triple that for starting and extra power needs that you may have forgotten to figure in. It would be a lot more than a "bit", that you would need in reserve.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3
CebuKano

I didn't imply they would. However, it would take years to wear one out, and you could buy FOUR of them for the cost of a much lesser KW Honda! The fuel savings alone will replace the "China crap". For his application he is going to need something substantial (not a homeowner or contractor type unit), which more or less leaves Honda out of the picture.

Yep. Ok. Let him purchase one of the cheap Chinese gens and see how long the windings last :D not to mention the diode set. i totally agree, money well spent. Good advice.

CebuKano

One last point and then I will leave this alone: it is very easy to convert any gasoline generator to run on LP or natural gas. You can all do what you want but as far as I'm concerned, when the lights go out, I want to be able to start my generator set up easily and not have to worry if the windings have gone to shit while sitting idle for months in between power outages.

It's a personal choice but I prefer to have a unit that I can be almost 100% certain will actually start and perform when I need to use it.

• Like 2