Got this in may email today - thought I would pass it on

http://capwiz.com/dav/issues/alert/?alertid=62354151&queueid=[capwiz:queue_id]

Important Legislation on Concurrent Receipt

Take Action!

Please Contact Your Representative Today   On January 15, 2013, Rep. Gus Bilirakis (FL) introduced H.R. 303, the Retired Pay Restoration Act. This bill would end the unfair policy of forcing many military longevity retirees to forfeit some of their retired pay in order to receive equal amounts of disability compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The effect of this policy means military retirees are paying for their own disability with their military retired pay. This unfair policy has adversely impacted disabled veterans and their families for more than a century, but was partially repealed by Congress in 2004. Under current law disabled veterans with 20-plus years of active military service who are also in receipt of a VA disability determination of 50 percent or higher may retain both military retirement pay and their VA compensation.

In line with Disabled American Veterans (DAV) resolution 019, H.R. 303 would end the longstanding and unfair practice of the government’s withholding of military longevity retired pay in exchange for VA disability compensation, regardless of disability rating. DAV believes what is unfair for a veteran rated 50 percent disabled or higher by the VA is equally unfair for a disabled veteran rated 40 percent disabled or lower. Disabled military longevity retirees should not be penalized by the government for any reason.

Currently, H.R. 303 has bipartisan support. This legislation was referred to the House Committee on Armed Services, and in addition to the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs for a period to be determined by the Speaker of the House. Please use the prepared e-mail, or draft your own message, to request that your Representative support this important bill and ask that it be brought to the floor for a vote and passed as soon as possible.

Thank you for all that you do for veterans and their families. We need your grassroots action to gain Congressional enactment of this important legislation.

spacer.gif

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USMC-Retired

• Nangulo

• mpt1947

• m60man

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That benefit sheet is just a congressionally mandated propaganda tool to attempt to educate military members on the value of the benefits they receive.Some kid fresh out of HD in the military sees his

I did 4 years in the Marine Corps. I got out in 1969 and never looked back - now I am 100% service connected, and on Social Security and have a small pension plan.  I don't loose any of my Disability

Got this in may email today - thought I would pass it on   http://capwiz.com/dav/issues/alert/?alertid=62354151&queueid=[capwiz:queue_id]         Important Legislation on Con

That legislation is introduced every session of congress and dies in committee every session. The problem was deemed solved by previous legislation. namely the concurrent retired pay legislation signed by Bush in 2004. In the budget cutting mood of congress now, I doubt if it has much chance.

By the way veterans retired with less than 20 years of service can get some retired pay plus their VA disability check. Since 2008 Combat related special compensation has allowed some veterans medically retired with less than 20 yrs to get some retired pay based on a complicated formula having to do with disabilities from combat versus time in service. I went through the long complicated process and after months of hassles finally got my award -- $53 dollars a month. Not much but the back check from jan. 2008 was a tidy sum.

• 2 weeks later...

That legislation is introduced every session of congress and dies in committee every session. The problem was deemed solved by previous legislation. namely the concurrent retired pay legislation signed by Bush in 2004. In the budget cutting mood of congress now, I doubt if it has much chance.

By the way veterans retired with less than 20 years of service can get some retired pay plus their VA disability check. Since 2008 Combat related special compensation has allowed some veterans medically retired with less than 20 yrs to get some retired pay based on a complicated formula having to do with disabilities from combat versus time in service. I went through the long complicated process and after months of hassles finally got my award -- $53 dollars a month. Not much but the back check from jan. 2008 was a tidy sum.

I did 4 years in the Marine Corps. I got out in 1969 and never looked back - now I am 100% service connected, and on Social Security and have a small pension plan.  I don't loose any of my Disability if my SS goes up, or loose any of my Disability if my SS goes up.

But whether this legislation dies in Congress every session or not, I contact my Congressional Representatives each session - because I am a firm believer that you will not win the lottery, unless you buy a ticket.  

• Like 2
Headshot

I don't loose any of my Disability if my SS goes up, or loose any of my Disability if my SS goes up.

Huh?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't loose any of my Disability if my SS goes up, or loose any of my Disability if my SS goes up.

Huh?

I noticed that too - but I feel there are many old vets on this board that you need to say things twice or they are missed - are you one of them?  

USMC-Retired

I am one of those people that loose money because of this.  I do not receive 50% disability I get 40%.  So that amount is deducted from my retirement pay.  

Reasons why it is unfair is real simple.  At the time of my disability I was not told of VA benefits nor that it was a disability I would collect on.  At the time I had only 12 years of active service to the military.  I continued on for another 8 years.  Deducting my time of service I worked the last 8 years of service for almost nothing in retirement pay.  If I had just exited the service at 12 years I would have been better off.   

It is a calculated risk of when injury occurs and if they stay in.  Additionally based on the amount of disability they will ultimately be awarded by the VA.  

I did 20 years and nothing against Mike but if he was 40% should we deduct it from his  SS check because he is also collecting money from the Government.   Or someone that was in the Federal Pension fund deduct the VA benefits. 

It is 100% unfair and should be challenged legally.  

I am one of those people that loose money because of this.  I do not receive 50% disability I get 40%.  So that amount is deducted from my retirement pay.  

Reasons why it is unfair is real simple.  At the time of my disability I was not told of VA benefits nor that it was a disability I would collect on.  At the time I had only 12 years of active service to the military.  I continued on for another 8 years.  Deducting my time of service I worked the last 8 years of service for almost nothing in retirement pay.  If I had just exited the service at 12 years I would have been better off.   

It is a calculated risk of when injury occurs and if they stay in.  Additionally based on the amount of disability they will ultimately be awarded by the VA.  

I did 20 years and nothing against Mike but if he was 40% should we deduct it from his  SS check because he is also collecting money from the Government.   Or someone that was in the Federal Pension fund deduct the VA benefits. 

It is 100% unfair and should be challenged legally.  

Nothing against me, Tim, I agree.

I was in for 4 years got out got a job, paid into SS just like Career Marines did.  in 2002 I submitted a claim got 20% and stayed that way until Sept 2012 at which time via additional claims I got 100% - my SS has not been lowed by any amount at any time - 

So I ask the question, why do military personnel get punished when civilians don't?

I understand the frustration of those who receive retirement benefits from service and also disability.  What I do not understand is why when the subject comes up SS is in the mix.  SS is your money.........if you worked a minimum of 40 quarters (10 years)  you have the right to repayment when you reach 62 to 70 depending on your date of birth.  You contributed 7.5% of your income as did your employer.  It's not a hand out...you contributed you paid taxes on it......it should never be in the mix with other benefits.........you are receiving the money you put in.  The percentage of those who receive more then they contributed  is very low!  Just think about all the ones that paid in all their working lives only to die before recieving.........and will continue to do so as the government raises the age to receive your own money! 

As I look at my SS statement and see the amount paid in since 1966.......well.......I think I could have fared much better in an interest bearing account over the same time frame.  Truth be known I think they should let us opt out and receive the amount we have paid in a lump sum if we so desired.  I believe I can manage my money better then the government has obviously. 

• Like 1
throttleplate

where would you put your money today? there have been 2 serious stock market crashes since year 1999.CD rates have plumetted to 1.25% on average for a 5 year cd,bonds got hurt in 2007 as i own tax free munis and the crash shook everthing.My 401k plan was deadline and than flat for the last 5 years and now just making a recovery again because of the govt propping up the market.Even warren buffet lost his ass,even though he has a bigger ass to lose but he lost money.Most people would have shit the money away and then wished they would have kept SS if they were on their own with investing it.

USMC-Retired

Why should the subject of Social Security not come into the Mix?  According to my benefits sheet I received every single year I contributed 7% of my military pay to my military retirement.  In addition to that I contributed to Social Security.  I contributed in the same fashion you contributed to Social Security yet because I did 20 years I am punished unlike some one who did 4 years. It took from those benefits that was stated by pay and  benefit sheet I received   If I did not receive my full retirement because I am 40% disabled and get a deduction in benefits then why should someone else collect on other entitlements. 

Yet only because I did 20 years in the Military and not 20 years civil service or other job.  I get a reduction.  Yet if the reduction were to happen to Social Security you think this conversation would happen?  

where would you put your money today

In a safety deposit box!  Waiting on a deal I could make money on, something tangible, vehicles, land, guns.  Several areas are still a good investment and can be profitable if one looks and has cash in hand.

If I did not receive my full retirement because I am 40% disabled and get a deduction in benefits then why should someone else collect on other entitlements.

I do not look at SS as a entitlement.  I see it as a forced savings account (government slush fund) that I paid for.  If I live long enough I will start to get a little of it back in a monthly stipend.  Just think about the amount you paid in over the last 40 plus year.  Had that been in a personal savings drawing 5% to 8% interest (which it could have for years in the past) the compound interest and principle would have been more then you will ever get back through SS.

I said I understand the frustration, and I do not think it is right when it comes to retirement pay and Va disability, one should not have a bearing on the other.  However SS is a different mix.  If you paid into SS while in service for twenty years, then correct me if I'm wrong.  But when you are old enough to draw SS it should not have any effect on your retirement or disability or visa verse.   

The retirement/disability is a military/political issue.  It should not have an effect on your SS.  I'm not sure about the contributions, maybe you can clarify.  Usually a civilian worker pays in 7.5% to SS, the employer also has to match with another 7.5%.  Does the military (employer) make a matching contribution?  If not, then that might have some bearing.  I would like to know as may some others. 

Edited by m60man
USMC-Retired

We paid into Military Retirement just the same as you did for SS.  It is stated as such every year you get your benefit sheet.  So someone is lying to the Military...  Because the reality is you do not get what is stated they reduce it if you get VA disability.

Mr. Mike

I understand the frustration of those who receive retirement benefits from service and also disability.  What I do not understand is why when the subject comes up SS is in the mix.  SS is your money.........if you worked a minimum of 40 quarters (10 years)  you have the right to repayment when you reach 62 to 70 depending on your date of birth.  You contributed 7.5% of your income as did your employer.  It's not a hand out...you contributed you paid taxes on it......it should never be in the mix with other benefits.........you are receiving the money you put in.  The percentage of those who receive more then they contributed  is very low!  Just think about all the ones that paid in all their working lives only to die before recieving.........and will continue to do so as the government raises the age to receive your own money! 

As I look at my SS statement and see the amount paid in since 1966.......well.......I think I could have fared much better in an interest bearing account over the same time frame.  Truth be known I think they should let us opt out and receive the amount we have paid in a lump sum if we so desired.  I believe I can manage my money better then the government has obviously. 

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba514

Thanks Mike........there you go..........simple compound interest over time, 

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

Funny people try and defend Social Security.  Va separate, Military separate, SS separate.   

They are all separate.

You contribute 7.5% to SS retirement

Retired Military contribute 7% to retirement

Yet the only one penalized is the Military.  They are all separate agencies and one does not dictate to the other.  Yet if it were to attack your SS the same way it attacks the Military retirement pay.  You get this reaction.  Social Security is in no way a different retirement then Military.   You still contribute to it and if one contribution retirement plan is attacked then so should any government retirement plan.  So people believe military retirement is given to people yet those people are wrong it is a contribution system the same as SS.