Painter Scams

Now i thought i was pretty well up on the scams, but, LOL, they got me again. But no problema, i will get over it, and it is not that bad, just something to look out for. I am getting some work done on the house and needed a painter to paint the ceilings etc., hard on my neck and i'am not getting any younger. First 2 i got said no problem, price was good and i got the materials they said they needed, was a little ? about them wanting to use Bondo aka Body Filler, because it sets up so fast, but i said ok. well what a mess, put the stuff on all the joints, but not enough hardner, told my wife it will have to dry,(maybe a month or so), next day they tried to sand it, wish i had stock in the sand paper company, long story short, said goodbye after 3 days. Got a new painter to start the next week, shows up in the morning with his friend, tells my wife he is going to pay the guy on the agreed price for him,we say ok, no problema, good day, fixed the problems with the other painters, next day, good day got lots done, then comes the end of the day, now here is where it gets good, They tell my wife, there is so much work to do they have to charge more for the work. Well they ask about another 1.5 amount of what was originaly agreed on, we say no to much, then we finally settle on a lower price. Next day only one shows up, now thats all we really need in the first place, says his friend will be there later after lunch, well friend shows up about 4:30 in the afternoon and works about 45 minutes. Now today i don't know, 1 showed up here this morning and i am guessing will won't see much of the other guy, We thought we would be paying for 2 people to work, so to make it fair we agreed to pay more. So Moral of the story is: Do your Homework, ask where they did there last job and check with the person they worked for, are they going to be paid by the job or for the whole job, what materials they have and what will you supply, and will they both be there working until the job is complete. Seems the other worker has another job.I can put it in the old memory bank, i won't let it happen again, i got it, i got it, LOL

• Like 2
ed villas

Do your Homework, ask where they did there last job and check with the person they worked for, are they going to be paid by the job or for the whole job, what materials they have and what will you supply, and will they both be there working until the job is complete.

so so very true, thanks for sharing the experience and warning us of the "scams" that these people do to US

tom_shor

Hey ay least they came back.

smokey

we had one came and got a 5,000 peso advance to buy bamboo and never came back but did drop off 8 pieces of used bamboo ... i asked the wife what should we do she said he is a drunkard and trouble maker in his area only two ways to go ... leave him alone or finish him ... we left him alone 

RogerDat

Greetings! The locals will tell you they can do anything you want them to. BUT they most times have no experience at the task or estimating a job, and under estimat the hard  work involved with a job.

My workers often tell me half way through somthing I want them to do that it is hard.

I tell them that is why they get paid to do it. It is why it is work, and not a hobby. They laugh, and get back to work.

ellenbrook2001

they all say they are professional,but they not they did learn from cousin or did learn from cousin also but never had professional training,

i did only 3 years of training has a plumber in France 58 years ago i have some knowledge ,we had a leak inside the bathroom tiles so the owner get the plumber or did all the work 3 years ago all brand new ,before he started i did ask how are you going too fixed?he explain too me ?hahahahaha laugh then i say you be here for 3 days then? he had no professional tools so i say please used my tools ,or was more friendly too used hes tools was damaging all the chrome .

anywhere he say woww i know where the leak hes from no problem will fixed??????

he went too buy a new tap then bingo fixed???????????

but the next morning when a wake up i heard funny noise water dripping from the ceiling downstairs  grrrrrrrrr water all over the floor?

that stupid plumber did break the pipe inside the tiles??????????

anywhere the owner say we will get another plumber that one hes useless?

the other one was okay at last he did fixed right.

so i learn never ever trust any tradesman here .

• Like 1
Davaoeno

the other one was okay at last he did fixed right. so i learn never ever trust any tradesman here .

Lets see if i understand this -  you say one plumber was bad, but one plumber was good - so what you learned was to never trust any tradesman here ???

I employ 2 plumbers- and they are both excellent. I employ an electrician - who is also excellent.  I employ 3 painters - 2 of who are excellent and 1 is ok. I employ 2 masons - both of who are excellent. 

This place is like everywhere else - if you hire the cheapest guy you can find expect problems.  Good people are in demand - and charge accordingly . 

• Like 2

...only two ways to go ... leave him alone or finish him ... we left him alone 

well your story fizzled right out!  given some experiences i had when i first got here, i was hoping to read details of how you went the other way

...I employ 2 plumbers- and they are both excellent. I employ an electrician - who is also excellent.  I employ 3 painters - 2 of who are excellent and 1 is ok. I employ 2 masons - both of who are excellent. 

now i see the problem the rest of us have.  you've hogged all the good people.

• Like 1
ellenbrook2001

the other one was okay at last he did fixed right. so i learn never ever trust any tradesman here .

Lets see if i understand this -  you say one plumber was bad, but one plumber was good - so what you learned was to never trust any tradesman here ???

I employ 2 plumbers- and they are both excellent. I employ an electrician - who is also excellent.  I employ 3 painters - 2 of who are excellent and 1 is ok. I employ 2 masons - both of who are excellent. 

This place is like everywhere else - if you hire the cheapest guy you can find expect problems.  Good people are in demand - and charge accordingly . 

woww you the most lucky men??????????? i say the other was okay but so great if i did not supervised him also do not know what will happen . love too know where the PINOY learn they trade

Davaoeno

we had one came and got a 5,000 peso advance to buy bamboo and never came back but did drop off 8 pieces of used bamboo ... i asked the wife what should we do she said he is a drunkard and trouble maker in his area only two ways to go ... leave him alone or finish him ... we left him alone 

lets see if I got this correct, a guy who is a known drunkard came to you and asked money for bamboo [ 30-40 pesos a piece i believe] and you gave him 5000 pesos ?/  Your wife must have loved that one Smokey 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Thelandofku-an

Missed this post earlier but would like to add my "two pennyworth"!

If you find someone good don't take it for granted ok!

Why?

Because a long time ago, I had a great cabinet maker, who took a suckling pig to the barangay captain, who wrote a permit, to cut a Japanese giant Ipil, to float down a river, to collect at the sea, to dry out for months, to cut and to dry, to fabricate and make, the most wonderful kitchen cabinets for about 15k!

Next job was straight Lua-an (Mahogany) Banisters, he wanted 15k also???

I bought them ready made from Matimco for about 3 or 4k as I recall!

Edited by Thelandofku-an!

I have been here only 1 year and 6 months I think and thus far no real scams. I haven't had much work done I will admit, biggest has to be the tiny sari sari for my honey. I have had a little electric work done and just the other day one of honeys pump boats needed a new bottom, the work is done and I still have to pay the builder for his work. That is how everything works here, they ask you to buy the parts, then they use them, then get there pay.

I had my car in a random yard in carcar for more then a month while the boyz whom I never seen or in any other way know, trying to fix it. They sent a dong to cebu with us to source parts 2 times and did a good bit of honest work. I bought the parts and they change them, in the end the master mechanic said there was nothing more he could do and I got ppl out to carcar from auto Focus Banawa to give it a shot or take the car back to cebu for more fiddling. When I went there (the yard in carcar) to get the car I was told to pay as much as I felt like and I gave the wife of the mek. 3k pesos and the car was mine again. (in retrospect I think I pay them to little) they change spark plugs, coils, cylinder head gasket, mended a leaking coolant pipe, changed a faulty airflow censor and changed a gasket in the exhaust pipe that blew apart while miss firing.

FYI This is a kia sportage and changing the spark plugs is a one hour job, man that car sucks.

Just to balance all the negativity a bit !

R

• Like 1
Thelandofku-an

Just to balance all the negativity a bit !

Yeah you're right buddy that there are great people here doing great work some of the time; I just try to make sure that particular work is mine so I can sing their praises rather than complain about them...

BTW is the car fixed now, what year of manufacture is that?

Edited by Thelandofku-an!

Yeah you're right buddy that there are great people here doing great work some of the time; I just try to make sure that particular work is mine so I can sing their praises rather than complain about them...

BTW is the car fixed now, what year of manufacture is that?

it's a 98 mdl.  2L fuel engine and I dont know if it is fixed, it spent to day in Cebu (I hope) and Ervin has not called to report it is running smooth so ....

Thelandofku-an

it's a 98 mdl.  2L fuel engine and I dont know if it is fixed, it spent to day in Cebu (I hope) and Ervin has not called to report it is running smooth so ....

Is it really a gasoline model, I have only seen diesel versions of that Sportage... Edited by Thelandofku-an!