50 pesos anyone?

shadow

Well, after careful consideration I guess my fairies are doing to tango, as I have been in one place for about 9 years and have lost very little. If the wife leaves P50 laying around, it is stolen immediately,... by me. Until 6 months ago we did not have a fence, had no locks on our doors, and in fact the only times the doors were ever closed was when it got cold (it does sometimes get cold here in fairyland). We have since moved into our new house, which of course has no doors! We are often out of town for 3-5 days or more at a time leaving the place in charge of a local girl, and in since we had a welding shop here there is at any given time P100,000 worth of tools and equipment laying around in the yard. I can't say nothing has been stolen, empty one gallon oil jugs disappear as fast as I can buy oil, tie wire and welding rod evaporate overnight, and any time I need electrical tape I have to buy a new roll. However, the drill press, table saw, and several welders sit in plain sight of the street, and I can park my motorcycle on the street with the key in it for days and nights on end.

Dance over

• Like 2
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Headshot

• Monsoon

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I opened my current resto-bar about seven years ago.   There were mostly carabao and rice farmers walking by.   Now the road is paved and we have tourists from around the globe eating pizza an

Well, if you spend the years developing local relationships with the politicians, military, and cops but most importantly your neighbours then you might understand.   There's a world of difference b

I have exactly the same experience in Tuble, Moalboal. Situated on a concrete road, with 2 refrigerators, one full of beer the other soft drinks, in plain sight with only a waist height wall protectin

USMC-Retired

Well when I was in Lano Del Norte the small barrangy I was in had an unlocked fridge inside the pool hall.  That everyone frequented.  It was unlocked the entire time.  Now if you are up on the main highway I can understand the need for locks but not deep in the Barangy.  People just would not steal back there.  I do not know why that it is.  Yet I was there for over 45 days and saw it all first hand.  

• Like 2
JasonEcos

Well, after careful consideration I guess my fairies are doing to tango, as I have been in one place for about 9 years and have lost very little. If the wife leaves P50 laying around, it is stolen immediately,... by me. Until 6 months ago we did not have a fence, had no locks on our doors, and in fact the only times the doors were ever closed was when it got cold (it does sometimes get cold here in fairyland). We have since moved into our new house, which of course has no doors! We are often out of town for 3-5 days or more at a time leaving the place in charge of a local girl, and in since we had a welding shop here there is at any given time P100,000 worth of tools and equipment laying around in the yard. I can't say nothing has been stolen, empty one gallon oil jugs disappear as fast as I can buy oil, tie wire and welding rod evaporate overnight, and any time I need electrical tape I have to buy a new roll. However, the drill press, table saw, and several welders sit in plain sight of the street, and I can park my motorcycle on the street with the key in it for days and nights on end.

Dance over

You guys are making me want to move to the provinces even more than I already wanted to.

Here its not a case of being white,  everyone gets ripped off. I've been lucky thus far to never had a breakin but in my first rental neighborhood there were half a dozen houses broken into, and a girl got stabbed during a robbery just down the road.  Our current location is better, and we are totally surrounded by family but even the locals with good standing in the area that have lived here for decades get stuff stolen. My neighbor keeps 4 locks and a siren on his motorcycle at night (seriously). I don;t think its neighbors stealing, so I don;t think it matters how many connections/goodwill you have in the area...people from other areas come in to swipe stuff.

To those of you that have found trustworthy areas....you are very lucky.  I've never come across that type of area even back in the states when we had houses in rural areas.

ellenbrook2001

small villages are more safe then city especially if you have a very good relation with your neighbours

• Like 3
udonthani

'deep in the barangay' is of course different to when there are paved roads, small communities aren't going to have to lock up as much still people must have noticed how here in the Philippines, even in the province (though perhaps not in the real boondocks) even shack dwellers almost never leave their bikes if they have one, right out on the street, even when they are locked. They always drag them over the piece of rough ground if necessary and park them right outside their dwelling.

tom_shor

Aren't some of these 'friendly' Mindanao locals cutting people's heads off?

Yes but they don't take the head they leave it right there.

• Like 1

In Cebu they'll look and see that I don't wear a watch.

Then ask the time so they can do grab and run with my cell.

My cell's older than the thief's. Creates a moral dilema. 

• Like 1
Headshot

here he exhibits the classic delusional symtpoms of Saint Amerikano Syndrome. Beneificient, beaming, white skinned foreigner single-handedly eliminates crime by the means of his unique and enlightened spirit as if he was a missionary in 19th century Africa spreading God's message to the savages and heathens. Why don't you write off to the Inquirer and suggest they start start a nationwide competition : Villages in the Philippines Where People Don't Have to Nail Everything Remotely Valuable Down to Avoid Getting Their Stuff Nicked. 

Well, if you spend the years developing local relationships with the politicians, military, and cops but most importantly your neighbours then you might understand.

Geez Whippy...being a bit of an "all round general purpose self-important pompous ass" aren't you?   :biggrin_01:

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3
udonthani

typical 'all round general purpose self-important pompous ass' behaviour is typified by these deluded fools that have got it into their heads that their very prescence in a Filipine neighborhood, as a beaming. saintly, beneficent  white foreigner, has brought about a total elimination of all crime, drug abuse, teenage pregnancy in the immediate neighbouhood, you name it whatever it was that was really bad before, they did it single-handedly as only white people like them can possibly aspire to do.. Kano Guardian Angels. That clown isn't the first guy that's got this type of typical Saint Amerikano Syndrome delusion into his head on this forum, the OP is only the latest manifestation of it.

• Like 2
thebob

BossHog, on 24 Jan 2013 - 13:46, said:
Well, if you spend the years developing local relationships with the politicians, military, and cops but most importantly your neighbours then you might understand.
There's a world of difference between being a resident ( a few decades in my case) and a transient know-it-all tourist.

Feck it. Let me know me know when you're coming and I'll staple down the 50 pesos.

I have exactly the same experience in Tuble, Moalboal. Situated on a concrete road, with 2 refrigerators, one full of beer the other soft drinks, in plain sight with only a waist height wall protecting them, we don't even have a fence on the back of the land or between us and our neighbors.

This is a road linking 2 major tourist spots in the area, and is travelled by lots of weekend travelers from the city as well as locals.

The money for ice is in a can on one of the refs, and everyone knows where it is.

There is a sewing machine, many hand tools, Shovels, pickaxes, steel bar, lots of loud speakers, and about 50 turkeys, worth about 1,000 Pesos each walking about.

I've never had anything stolen.

Good neighbors are the best security.

It is fiesta in Datag 2, Tuble, Moalboal this weekend. If you have seen Sinalog, go and see how it is done in a small sitio in the province. There is a lot of love in the air. It is a community that I am proud to be a part of.

BossHog isn't saying it is like this because he is there, he is saying because it is like what it is, is the reason he is living there.

I often think Udonthani's posts are just a wind up for those who have never lived here. His experiences are so vastly different from mine, that he could be visiting a different country.

Edited by thebob
  • Like 6
Headshot

I often think Udonthani's posts are just a wind up for those who have never lived here. His experiences are so vastly different from mine, that he could be visiting a different country.

I often feel the same...possibly even a different planet.

• Like 3
I hate the cold

Interesting topic for sure. Just to put in my two centavos, recently I was driving my scooter in the middle of the day in Lapu Lapu.  As I passed a subdivision guard house, my wallet fell out of my pocket. I didn't realize it at the time, and continued on my trip to Grand Mall. Twenty minutes later i realized my wallet was missing. So, I returned home pissed off i had just lost six thousand peso, and accepted the fact I would never see my wallet, money, all my I.D. again. As i passed said guard house, pissed at myself I heard this whistle and saw this guard flagging me down. I stopped my bike, and the guard explained to my he had seen me drive by and had seem something fall from my bike. He said out of curiosity, he wanted to know what I had dropped and once he realized it was a wallet he had been keeping an eye out for me to return it. I was floored. He smiled, gave me my wallet back, turned around to walk back to his guardhouse as if that was the end of it. I quickly checked my wallet to see if there was anything missing. Once I realized my wallet was complete, nothing missing, I approached the guard and gave him a big tip. 100% true story, and goes to show all those cynics, there is vein of goodness in this land.

smokey

There's a world of difference between being a resident ( a few decades in my case) and a transient know-it-all tourist.

Feck it. Let me know me know when you're coming and I'll staple down the 50 pesos.

al Capone used to leave money laying around and no one stole from him ////  

Interesting topic for sure. Just to put in my two centavos, recently I was driving my scooter in the middle of the day in Lapu Lapu.  As I passed a subdivision guard house, my wallet fell out of my pocket. I didn't realize it at the time, and continued on my trip to Grand Mall. Twenty minutes later i realized my wallet was missing. So, I returned home pissed off i had just lost six thousand peso, and accepted the fact I would never see my wallet, money, all my I.D. again. As i passed said guard house, pissed at myself I heard this whistle and saw this guard flagging me down. I stopped my bike, and the guard explained to my he had seen me drive by and had seem something fall from my bike. He said out of curiosity, he wanted to know what I had dropped and once he realized it was a wallet he had been keeping an eye out for me to return it. I was floored. He smiled, gave me my wallet back, turned around to walk back to his guardhouse as if that was the end of it. I quickly checked my wallet to see if there was anything missing. Once I realized my wallet was complete, nothing missing, I approached the guard and gave him a big tip. 100% true story, and goes to show all those cynics, there is vein of goodness in this land.

are you a brand new member or just not wanting anyone to know who you are ?

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Never had anyone steal 50 pesos from me, but the $300 matching spare tire/wheel was missing from my 10 month old pickup truck when I went to trade it in a couple weeks ago.

USMC-Retired

typical 'all round general purpose self-important pompous ass' behaviour is typified by these deluded fools that have got it into their heads that their very prescence in a Filipine neighborhood, as a beaming. saintly, beneficent  white foreigner, has brought about a total elimination of all crime, drug abuse, teenage pregnancy in the immediate neighbouhood, you name it whatever it was that was really bad before, they did it single-handedly as only white people like them can possibly aspire to do.. Kano Guardian Angels. That clown isn't the first guy that's got this type of typical Saint Amerikano Syndrome delusion into his head on this forum, the OP is only the latest manifestation of it.

Whippy however one thing is for sure as you are spending gobs of time in Mindanao petty theft and stealing are much less then Cebu.  Would you agree. Murder not so much.